Sunny Citrus

Herbal Tea
Apple, Blackberry Leaves, Currant, Hibiscus, Mallow Flowers, Natural Flavours, Orange Peel, Rose Hips, Safflower, Sunflower Petals
Black Currant, Citrus, Hibiscus, Tart, Sour, Berry, Bitter, Vanilla, Citrusy, Fruity, Lemon, Creamy, Orange, Pleasantly Sour, Astringent, Floral, Citrus Fruits, Sweet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

2 Images

From DAVIDsTEA

There’s a reason we love citrus so much – it’s bright, zesty and never fails to make us smile. And this refreshing, citrus-packed blend is no exception. With tart hibiscus, pretty flower petals, a hint of orange and cute flower-shaped sprinkles, it’s a delicious way to make your day shine with sweetness. Best of all, it steeps a beautiful vibrant crimson – like a little sunset right in your cup. You know what they say… red tea at night, sipper’s delight.

Ingredients: Apple, hibiscus, sprinkles (sugar, rice flour, peanut oil, potato starch, artificial flavouring, beetroot juice, riboflavin), currants, blackberry leaves, rosehip shells, orange peel, sunflower petals, safflower petals, mallow flower petals, natural flavouring

Price per 50g: $7.98

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I was given this tea as a gift, which was a little bit of a bummer because I really wanted to try the chocolate cake tea, but this is what was available. It’s still a gift though and I’m grateful for it.

The smell when I opened the bag is like citrus punch in the nose. Like I walked into a cloud of Lemon Pledge. Uhhh… That definitely put me off. I used only one ‘perfect spoon’ and the lower end of the recommended steeping time (4 min). I don’t know why I originally thought that this was a black tea, but maybe the name is something I would call like a lemon orange black tea. :D Something bright to drink in the sunshine, but that’s not what this is. It’s an herbal, no caffeine, which is probably good with how close to bedtime it is now.

The taste is mildly tart, but it smells of vanilla/cream. Kind of like how lemonade is tart but sweet. It’s an interesting combo to the senses. I’m not quite sure how I feel about this one yet.

Sipdown! Wasn’t my favourite and probably wouldn’t buy it again. I was expecting it to be heavier on the citrus… more along the lines of keylime.

Tastes just like an orange creamsicle! Yum. :)

Sipdown!

I had this tea cold brewed the other day. I may have perhaps let it linger in my fridge just a bit too long because it was very tart and had an unpleasant bite to the end of each sip. I also may have slightly over leafed because I was trying to use up what I had left of this. It was still drinkable, and still smelled fabulous, it just was not the best I have had of this blend. It isn’t one I would seek out again.

Flavors: Black Currant, Citrus, Hibiscus, Tart

2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

In an effort to use up my herbals, I have bought a number of stronger tasting fruit teas to mix in with weaker herbals to create iced tea with. I normally really dislike hibiscus because of how tart it is, but when mixed with the other teas it can be pleasant as an iced tea.

For this 2L pitcher of iced tea, I mixed in 4 “perfect spoonfuls” (about 10 tsp) of this tea with 3 perfect spoonfuls (about 6-7tsp) of plain lemongrass tea. I used boiling water and stuck the pitcher in my freezer for 2h, then removed the filter (which contains the tea), then after another 2h when the tea was cool, I moved it to the fridge to further cool off so I wouldn’t forget about it overnight.

The smell of the dry leaves is VERY fruity and citrusy, but the taste of the chilled tea is more tart with a citrus aftertaste. I don’t think my lemongrass mixture would have affected the taste dramatically; if anything I believe it cut the crazy tartness hibiscus usually has to a more pleasant level. I found this iced tea I made to be tart, a little sour, and a bit citrusy, but overall refreshing. Between my husband, his friend/coworker, and myself this tea will go in no time. However, with that being said, I do not think I will repurchase this one due to the fact the hibiscus tartness is the main taste. I will try to cut the steeping time wayyyy shorter to see if that helps, but overall I know there are better teas i can use to mix herbals with and make iced teas.

Flavors: Citrus, Hibiscus, Sour, Tart

Boiling 8 min or more
Kristal

Update: I made another pitcher in the same manner as the one in the tasting note EXCEPT I shortened the steeping time to about 7 min. The result is a tea that is much less tart. However, my stance remains that there are other fruit teas (even with hibiscus) that I like better so I will finish off what I have and leave it at that.

The addition of vanilla in this blend was quite odd. When I think citrus I think tart and bright, and I suppose that’s why I understood the addition of hibiscus – to really hammer home the tartness. In the end the vanilla is what put me off. Frankly, I’m surprised that I taste so much of the vanilla given that it’s just an added flavoring. It adds a certain richness that I don’t want in my citrus tea, at least not in a citrus-based herbal blend called “Sunny Citrus.”

My first taste was not impressive, but it grew on me. I thought it was Magic Dragon, at first, a tea I have enormous quantities at home and that I’m not surprised by anymore. But then I started eating my pepperoni pizza and the vanilla taste in the tea (iced) dominated!! Which is actually awesome! So, majorly I taste vanilla, and a sort of bitter citrus taste. Yumm!

Flavors: Berry, Bitter, Citrus, Vanilla

2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I picked up enough of this for a sample size at the local store. Probably about 30g.

I really liked the smell of this tea. It was quite fruity but it also smelled comforting (I don’t really know how to put this into scent form! haha). The first time I had it, it was enjoyable! very light and fruity. However, the second time I had it, it got really bitter really quick, and was not enjoyable. So I’m kind of confused about this tea. It was not bad, it just wasn’t great… maybe I left the teabag in too long.

I also tried freezing this tea into popsicle form! It turned out really well, but again they tasted a bit too bitter for my liking. Perhaps I just didn’t put enough care into my steeping processes.

I won’t be buying this again, but I would drink it again if somebody could make it for me. It was not my favorite, but I have had worse.

Flavors: Bitter, Citrusy, Fruity, Hibiscus, Lemon, Sour

I picked up 10g of this today to see if there was any reason I needed it in addition to all of the Pink Flamingo I already have. Begrudgingly, yes. Yes I do. Sunny Citrus is like Pink Flamingo’s sultry bombshell of a cousin. It’s got all the same wonderful tart, sour citrus I love, with the added richness of vanilla to make it a little more complex and thick-tasting. As an added bonus, the aroma of the vanilla wafts about the cup, making the air around it smell divine!

I still think Pink Flamingo has my heart in this category, with a bit brighter and more sour flavour, but I do believe I should have both, because, as it is said, too much of a good thing is wonderful.

Flavors: Citrus, Creamy, Fruity, Hibiscus, Lemon, Orange, Pleasantly Sour, Sour, Tart, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 7 min, 0 sec 5 g 14 OZ / 400 ML

I gave this a long, cold steep overnight just to see what would happen. I was concerned that the hibiscus was going to become overpowering, but the flavours remained pleasantly balanced! In fact, the hibiscus remained pretty subtle and it was actually the vanilla notes that began to dominate. I don’t usually have iced teas that are heavy on vanilla, but this is a pleasant change.