Irish Breakfast

Assam Black Tea, Black Tea
Bitter, Licorice, Perfume, Wet Wood, Fruity, Honey, Nutty, Astringent, Wood, Earth, Malt, Oak, Cream, Smooth, Sweet
Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by administrator

• “ Day 10 of my DIY 24 Days of DAVIDsTea! Glad to be starting my day with a hearty plain black tea! This one has a prominent astringency and bold flavour. There’s plenty of malty notes from the...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was not at all fond of this tea. it is terribly bitter and has a weird licorice note to it with an over-current of woodchips and dirt. I love the way it smells, and I enjoyed the smoothness of it...” Read full tasting note
  • “DAVID’s Tea Advent Calendar Day 14: I opened the door to Day 14 last night around 9 pm, saw that it was a breakfast and decided to put it off until today. I brewed up a cup on my morning break. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sadly, this is just not my cup of tea. Starts off tasting a bit like Orange Pekoe, which I don’t mind, and then follows a horrible end taste that I can’t quite put my finger on…maybe the malt? I...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Ireland is one of the biggest tea drinking countries around. And trust us, they know their stuff. Traditionally, they go for strong black tea, often simmered on the stove all day long. And this rich, full bodied black tea is no exception. A blend of teas from Assam and Sri Lanka, it brews up nutty, fruity and bold, with hints of wild dark honey – and a robust taste that can stand up to a bit of milk and sugar. If there’s a better way to start the day, we don’t wanna know about it.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Day 10 of my DIY 24 Days of DAVIDsTea!

Glad to be starting my day with a hearty plain black tea! This one has a prominent astringency and bold flavour. There’s plenty of malty notes from the Assam combined with a brisk, slight fruitiness from the Ceylon. I made it about halfway before I gave in to my urge to add milk, which helped to make this cuppa more smooth tasting and palatable to my taste buds.

A decent breakfast blend overall.

I was not at all fond of this tea. it is terribly bitter and has a weird licorice note to it with an over-current of woodchips and dirt. I love the way it smells, and I enjoyed the smoothness of it in my mouth, but the flavour is like someone slamming their hands on a piano which is odd, because its just a simple tea blend its not a complicated herbal or anything. The aftertaste was like spraying a bit of cologne into your mouth.
I was brave and tried it once again with a bit of cream and I personally thought it tasted a little bit better this way, but not redemptive-ly so.

It smells amazing, but personally this tea is not one I would choose for myself!

Flavors: Bitter, Licorice, Perfume, Wet Wood

DAVID’s Tea Advent Calendar Day 14:

I opened the door to Day 14 last night around 9 pm, saw that it was a breakfast and decided to put it off until today. I brewed up a cup on my morning break. I don’t know why I am surprised by how good this is. Some breakfast teas, especially Irish breakfast teas, tend to get so heavy that they turn bitter pretty easily. This one brewed up smooth and hearty. No complaints here. I’m not rushing out to stock up on this, but I will gladly drink it again.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Sadly, this is just not my cup of tea. Starts off tasting a bit like Orange Pekoe, which I don’t mind, and then follows a horrible end taste that I can’t quite put my finger on…maybe the malt? I would like to know so that I can avoid it and never ever subject myself to it again.

This is currently my favorite tea from the “24 Days of Tea” advent calendar. It was excellently blended and smooth tasting with the perfect bit of sweetness… The slight honey flavor pushed it over the top for me. If you like stronger black tea blends with some sweetness, I highly recommend this one. I am definitely going to make this a staple in my pantry when David’s restocks it!

Flavors: Fruity, Honey, Nutty

Advent calendar day 14/24

As much as I’ve become a much bigger fan of straight black teas over the last year (really ever since I had Nepal Black in last year’s advent calendar), I still don’t really go for “breakfast” teas, mostly as I don’t find them all that special.

This is not changing my mind on that. This is very woody and drying and I’m not getting much else out of it. Even at a fairly short steep time of 2 minutes I’m finding it more astringent than I personally want. I could see it appealing to someone more into intense red wines or something similar. It’s honestly not a bad tea, it’s just not my thing.

Flavors: Astringent, Wood

Mookit

I would suggest you try more Assam teas. I’ve recently taken a liking to Hathikuli Assam by Teaguy, and its one of the most smooth pure black teas I’ve tried. No astringency, full body, and wonderful deep coco notes!

Fay

I’m definitely open to it. Unfortunately I live in Halifax so there’s not many tea stores to try from and shipping is usually so expensive if you order online (and I shouldn’t start ordering a bunch of tea just to get free shipping) :‘( Once I’ve drank down more of what I currently have I’ll branch out a bit.

Fay

Thanks for the suggestion though! I’ll keep it in mind!

Day 14 of the 2016 advent calendar! To be honest, I never really got into ‘breakfast’ teas. I guess I must have just found them boring compared to what else what offered. And I don’t know how else to describe this tea other than that it smells like black tea? I mean, that’s… all that it is so I shouldn’t be surprised.

Steeped, it is a bit concerning. There are… a lot of bits that escaped by perfect mug’s steeper basket. I imagine that using the steeper might have prevented it, but the fact that it still escapes the infusers is not really good. Besides that, it actually tastes a lot better than I was expected. I find it mellow, smooth and a bit sweet.

Overall, this is a pretty decent straight tea. I like it enough that I might even start incorporating it into my own breakfast routine.

I had this in a meeting the other day because someone had made a large pot of it, and it was a nice cup but not really noteworthy – mostly I just wanted to log that I’d had it and it steeped out very smoothly as a less measured/monitored teapot brew. However, then I was slammed with 404 Errors on this tea page for about a week and logging it became more a matter of stubbornness that actual desire to capture the tea.

So there. Logged.

Very creamy and nice. Worth the price? Maybe, but for me cheaper stuff is just as good.

I haven’t had much experience with Davidstea (I think I tried one or two teas by them from the traveling teabox, but I’ve never ordered from them) so hopefully I’m not too biased, lol.

This is a pretty good breakfast tea. It’s not my favorite, though. It reminds me of Lipton for some reason. Next time I’ll try slightly different brewing specs to see if I can avoid that. (I don’t think I steeped it too hot, but I don’t have a variable temperature kettle and my thermometer’s not that reliable so you never know really.) Thanks to TheLastDodo for sharing! :)

White Antlers

If you strat trying the “builder’s teas” aka the malty breakfast teas like Irish and English breakfast breakfast, you will notice a relationship to Lipton. They all mostly have the same lineage.

sensiblyscript

Interesting! Why are they called builder’s teas?