North African Mint (organic)

Green Tea
Black Pepper, Cardamom, Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Hojicha, Licorice Root, Peppermint
Mint, Pepper, Spices, Clove, Herbs, Cloves, Ginger, Licorice, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Cardamon, Hay, Spicy, Fennel, Peppermint, Nutty
Low
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by partea

• “I’m glad I had a cup of this. It’s been months and I always forget how good it is but the name just never gets me excited, but then when I finally do, I really like it! Now to check if...” Read full tasting note
  • “So I was perusing my cupboard this morning, and I’ve been feeling like sweeter teas lately but I didn’t want to use another sachet of Paris. So I decided to try to change my sweet...” Read full tasting note
  • “Made this one as a cold brew today. I was craving chai but I was trying to stay away from black tea today. When I had this one the first time, it really reminded me of chai, because it has chai...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m finishing up my day with this one, since it tends to calm my tummy and headaches, both of which I have at the moment. I’m just not hungry today, which is weird and tells me...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

An exotic journey
Explore Northern Africa, from its souks to its deserts, with this intense combination of spices and mint. It combines organic, fairly-traded green tea and peppermint with organic cardamom, ginger, licorice root, fennel clove and black pepper. Deliciously sweet, with all the romance of the Maghreb.

Ingredients: Cardamom, peppermint, ginger, Japanese-style Hojicha green tea, licorice root, fennel, clove, black pepper.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I tried this at the mall about a week ago but missed reviewing it.

My friend had mentioned to me that this is a good tea, so I figured I’d try it. I tried it cold. I did not like it cold. This was just not a good experience. I LOVE mint teas. They’re my favorites. But I don’t know with this one. The licorice came through in an overpowering way. I think I’m just not a fan of licorice…I’ve had this, Licorice Twist, and Bravissimo all cold and the licorice flavor turned me off. If you like licorice this might be okay.

This tea has potential. It smells good, so maybe it would be better hot. I will try this again as a hot tea and write another review, but as of right now, I strongly disliked this cold.

Flavors: Licorice, Mint, Spices

How can this tea be rated so lowly on Steepster?! It’s amazing. A tried and true staple of my cupboard, and one of our all-time favorites. Erik loves the pepper, fennel, and mint. I love the roasty Hojicha and juxtaposition of warm spices with cool mint. Hojicha holds a special place in my heart. It’s not your average green. In fact, it’s closer in taste to Oolong than green. DavidsTea rarely stocks it beyond this blend, and it seems to be very seasonal elsewhere as well. Nice to see this tea included in the Cold Survival Kit of 2014-2015. That collection is brilliant! Love everything in it.

Maddy Barone

I was looking at trying that one, but I’m not a fan of green tea. Still, the spices sound so interesting.

Day 13/24 of 24 Days of Tea

Today was actually supposed to be Buddha’s Blend as the package said, but when I flipped the little tin over it actually said North African mint. Not a big deal since I’ve had Buddha’s Blend before and only thought it was just okay. Plus, I was out at a christmas party and this tea jives well after a long night out. Still kind of a bummer though.

Either way, see Day 7 review for North African Mint…

Flavors: Licorice, Mint, Spices

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 20 OZ / 600 ML
Fay

I’m sure if you contact DAVID’s they’ll sort something out for you. This kind of thing seems to have been happening a lot this year.

Alyssa

Weird!

Mookit

I’ve been having problems with DAVIDs recently too.. I’m getting less and less happy with their customer service :/

Kristal

I’m sure they would replace it, but that’s alright- I’ve had Buddah’s blend before and I’m not a fan of the flavouring in it. North African Mint is alright :)

Mookit, sorry to hear that :(

Mookit

It’s alright, honestly I think it’s just this one location I had to deal with for a couple of days.

I’ll just have to travel a bit farther to another location, where the people were much nicer and more competent hah!

Kristal

Ah, I see!

I live in a small city so I think the nearest DAVIDS would be hours and hours of driving…luckily have had no problems to date with my location!

Cavocorax sent this one my way since i don’t typically pick up David’s Teas. I don’t adore mint teas, but i don’t hate them. This one is made interesting by the addition of fennel and pepper. I’ve had this a couple times now, without a tasting note and since this is my last cup, i figure I’d better land somewhere on this. If i was in the mood for a mint tea with a twist, this would be a good go to tea. Thanks cavo!

Don’t really know how I feel about this one – I find there is a lot of variety in the way it turns out – definitely do not oversteep it! I think I like this one more as a remedy for sickness than as an actual tea… I had such high hopes for this the first time I drank it!

Flavors: Mint

Amazing for those days when you crave something soothing. Reminds me a lot of Yogi’s Egyptian licorice Mint. I normally do not like mint or licorice, but the combination is strangely addicting.

1 tsp

So I’ve got three green tea-mint blends on hand right now and I’ve decided to do a head to head comparison: Berber by Tay Tea, Moroccan Mint by Teavana, and North African Mint by David’s Tea. One of the few green teas I’d like to keep around would be one with mint, so I’m trying to pick which one. Both Berber and Moroccan mint are just spearmint with gunpowder green tea, while the North African Mint has cardamom, peppermint, ginger, Japanese-style Hojicha green tea, licorice root, fennel, clove, and black pepper. So, it’s not really a valid comparison, but this study doesn’t have to pass peer review so it’s happening :-P.

This tea is decent (and I’ve reviewed it before, so check out my other review for more details), but I’d prefer one with just mint and gunpowder. Fennel and licorice are not my friends, but this tea is still not bad to me.

Teavana’s Moroccan Mint wins! I’m as surprised as you probably are.

The link to the Berber review: http://steepster.com/teas/tay-tea/11700-berber?post=252649
The link to the Moroccan Mint review: http://steepster.com/teas/teavana/2028-moroccan-mint?post=252648

Cameron B.

This note reminds me that I really want to try Thin Mint Green from Tea Spot! It’s also a houjicha and mint blend (peppermint) but with no spices. :D

carol who

I got a tin of the Thin Mint from the Tea Spot. It was amazing how fast it went!

This is a combination of some of my favorite things. I love when tea blends have extra herbs in them, so this hits my spicy/savory palette cravings just right. The hojicha green tea base is good, not too roasty and not too grassy, and supports the peppermint well. The fennel and black pepper, while subtle, are definitely present. These spices in particular make this a unique, stand-out tea that I can’t find anywhere else. The ginger and licorice are not overpowering, with the forward flavors truly being the mint itself. Hot, this tea is a relaxing, meditative blend for when you’re feeling a little sick or want an unusual herbal. Iced, might be a little strange for some (the more savory spices brewed cold are unexpected) but if you are a fan of the herbs in the blend, you’ll like it either way. Mint teas are excellent brewed cold in my opinion, or maybe I’ve just had a hot couple of days and this hit the spot.

Flavors: Clove, Fennel, Ginger, Mint, Nutty, Pepper

Grabbed this while on my jaunt of sicko-ness, at the recommendation of the staffer who seemed to have similar tea-tastes. I said to her, “Oh, this is just a green chai?” Which seemed to surprise her that she hadn’t thought of it herself. “Yea, I guess it is,” was the reply. Personally, I’d call this a minty lighter chai, with a hint of creaminess. I like it, but not enough to go out of my way to buy more of it.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

This was on my wish list at DAVIDsTEA, before joining steepsters but I know it made it there by checking out the notes here. So, when I saw VariaTEA was selling 10g. As soon as the package arrived I opened it up and smelled it. I completely forgot how it even made it to the list, it smells spicy and I can smell the licorice that I’m not a fan of.

A couple of months ago I over steeped this a good 10-15min, prepared for the worst, I took my first sip and was surprised it was somewhat pleasant in a weird way. I was and still am confused on how sweet it was, it reminded me of stevia.

Last night I let my son pick two teas to cold brew for today. I was so happy this was one he chose and dumped the rest I had left in the mason jar. I took a few sips before giving it to him and it was more drinkable for me but still weird for me: sweet mint and pepper. My sons reaction was a loud “OhYum minty!” He had no problem drinking it. I asked if he liked it as he was playing a videogame he said “Yea I like it, what I don’t like.…what I don’t like is..… those penguin things” I was waiting for him to say something bad about the tea.

Thank you VariaTEA I’m happy I got to try this before buying 50g.