Dark Chocolate Delight

Black Tea, Blueberry, Cocoa Bean Shells, Dark Chocolate
Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Milk, Mineral, Nuts, Tannin, Spicy, Artificial, Berry, Bitter, Citrus, Sweet, Burnt, Cinnamon, Astringent, Blueberry, Tart, Clove, Vanilla, Paper, Hazelnut, Creamy, Raspberry
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

Dark side of the brew

What is it about dark chocolate? Its taste is sinfully decadent, but studies say it might actually be good for you. But wait – it gets better. Now you don’t even have to wait until dessert to get your fix. With this black tea blend, you can treat yourself anytime, anywhere. With cocoa shells, blueberries and big chunks of luscious dark chocolate, it’s a deliciously rich taste of our favourite indulgence. Welcome to the dark side…

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Day 19 of the 2015 Advent Calendar (I’m so close!). I have had a rocky relationship with chocolate teas, because I find that they are very hit or miss with me. This tea seems good though, it smells extremely chocolatey, and has some sweet fruity notes to it. Oddly, it kind of reminds me of root beer?

When steeped the color is… about the same as a standard black tea. For some reason I was expecting something darker? Regardless, the black tea base comes through a lot stronger in the smell of the steeped tea. The flavor itself is quite interesting. I was expecting something a lot… bolder, but I’m not necessarily complaining about this flavor profile. For me the black tea is the dominant flavor, followed by some light, almost milk-chocolatey notes.

Overall, I think it’s a good tea. Not quite what I expected, but I still think that this is a solid chocolate tea that I might consider stocking up on if I have a craving for it.

This review is for the Dark Chocolate Delight infused shortbread!

So, this might actually be my favourite infused shortbread yet; it’s just perfectly chocolately and sweet and works really well for dunking in tea. That said, while I think the dark chocolate component of the tea is 100% spot on I could not, for the life of me, taste the blueberry in this shortbread! That’s such a big part of what makes this tea unique, and it felt absent.

Still loved it; but this loses points in my books for not being totally accurate to the tea even if it’s yummy as all hell.

donkeyteaarrrraugh

I haven’t tried the shortbread yet…. I went for the infused lip balms first….they’re actually pretty nice!

Roswell Strange

I’ve managed not to hold off on the lip balm/lotion thus far, but I’m bound to cave soon. The only thing that’s held me off so far is knowing I’d likely loose the lip balm like I do all my other lip balm.

This was just terrible. Bitter, sharp, indescribably strange, and the smell was fine in the bag but once I brewed it all that came out was the smell of artificial blueberry. Ugh. No.

I really wanted to like Dark Chocolate Delight but was disappointed. I was hoping the flavor would be rich and decadent, given that it’s a dark chocolate tea, but I found it tasted quite flat and bitter. I found this upsetting because I really wanted to like this tea. I had high hopes for this one because I really liked Hot Chocolate also by DAVIDsTEA. I’ll have to give this one another try.

I’m normally not a fan of David’s black teas (some weirdly flavoured base) but I really like this. It is very rich and tastes of cocoa I mean VERY rich. I can also taste milk, minerals, lots of tannins from the black tea, and something a bit sweet and spicy. It was like drinking home made cocoa but with less sugar.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Milk, Mineral, Nuts, Tannin

Boiling 6 min, 30 sec 4 tsp 24 OZ / 700 ML

This was a pretty delicious chocolate tea.

What can I say about Dark Chocolate Delight tea? I HD no doubt I’d like it, but hot nessie, this tea is delightful and super delicious! Black tea and chocolate absolutely do go well together. This tea is also supposed to have blueberries in it but I don’t taste them at all. Just fabulous chocolaty tea. YES! I do recommend this wonderful tea!

Flavors: Dark Chocolate

At $8.98/50g, this is more expensive than my usual teas. I picked up 30g in a heart-shaped tin instead, during Valentines Day, and I’m glad I didn’t buy more.

I like both chocolate and black tea, but sadly, cannot taste very much of either flavour in this blend. I looked at the ingredients list, and I think the two chilis (ancho and chipotle) overwhelm everything else to the point that this tea tastes spicy.

However, it’s not so bad when I mix one spoonful of Dark Chocolate Delight and one spoonful of Chocolate Rocket in a teapot.

Flavors: Spicy

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I’ve tried this one a couple times and I have to say that it’s best with a little bit of cream added. It bring out the chocolate flavor and dials down the bitterness. Without cream, it’s a little bitter, especially with the black tea as the base.

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey

This one is a left over from the tea calendar that I didn’t get around to trying. On first taste, it’s… odd. Something bitter with a bit of sweetness and a kind of citrusy aftertaste. Hmm. I’ll admit I definitely oversteeped this one. I thought it was herbal until I opened up the Steepster page, so I didn’t really pay attention to how long the leaves were in the water.

Still, I’m not sure if this one could be saved for me even under the best conditions. It reminds me of those odd, artificial “diet” chocolates that my mom sometimes ate when I was a kid. It’s reminiscent of chocolate, but something is not quite right.

Flavors: Artificial, Berry, Bitter, Chocolate, Citrus, Sweet