Tippy Ceylon Black

Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “So I’m not entirely sure how to feel about this one. Well start by saying that it smells amazing, no doubt. Then at first the tea its self was as expected. Sweet grass, sweet grains, etc. Good, but...” Read full tasting note
  • “Day #7 of tea! Again, another one I’ve had recently, but a tummy one, nonetheless – I find this to be a straight black tea of better than average quality, so it’s perfect for me with some milk. My...” Read full tasting note
  • “1.5 tdp for 300mL water @95C, steeped 4 minutes. Dry leaf is very pretty with long twisty leaves and lots of gold tips. I’m not seeing any twigs. Wet leaf smells of malt and honey and that faint...” Read full tasting note
  • “Tastes like malted honey. I think that I may have allowed it to steep a little too long on the walk back to my office, as I tasted it as I walked along and it seems as though it got a little past...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Pot of gold

With its pretty golden tips and light, coppery infusion, this rich black tea is a true treasure. It comes from the New Vithanakanda garden in Sri Lanka, a third-generation tea estate overlooking the lush slopes of the Singharaja rain forest. And with its fertile soil, warm weather and 2400 foot altitude, it’s the perfect location for deliciously complex teas. Their specialty? Whole leaf teas with beautiful gold and silver tips. Hand-picked from specially selected bushes, this full-bodied black tea is the cream of the crop – and we rushed it to our shelves the moment it was ready so you could taste it fresh. Extremely limited edition…taste it while you can!

About DAVIDsTEA View company

So I’m not entirely sure how to feel about this one.

Well start by saying that it smells amazing, no doubt. Then at first the tea its self was as expected. Sweet grass, sweet grains, etc. Good, but not amazing.

And then it goes from sweet grain to sweet pasta. And I don’t want to say it tastes like Alphagetti, but it 100% tastes like Alphagetti. Now that’s not strictly unpleasant, but it’s not what I want in a tea. At the very least, it’s a little odd.

But THEN it starts to taste like bread and butter. And I’ve been looking for a tea that tastes like bread because honestly, if I could live off bread I would. This gets huge points there.

And then we’re back to the Alphagetti…

So probably not a buy for me. I’ll leave the limited quantities to someone who isn’t having as much of a roller coaster ride with this one.

I do kind of want to buy a baguette now though…

Flavors: Baked Bread, Butter, Grain, Sweet

Day #7 of tea!

Again, another one I’ve had recently, but a tummy one, nonetheless – I find this to be a straight black tea of better than average quality, so it’s perfect for me with some milk. My one thing I noticed this time, is to watch the steep time, as I left this one too long this afternoon!

1.5 tdp for 300mL water @95C, steeped 4 minutes.

Wet leaf smells of malt and honey and that faint tang of copper that many Ceylons have. I’m not catching any of the astringency in the scent. A slight scent of toasted grains (like Grape-Nuts cereal).

Liquor is steeping to an attractive dark copper.

Mmmm, this is lovely. No astringency or pucker. No strong coppery tang. Lots of dark honey and toasted grains. I expect this would get pucker if steeped much longer, so if you like that, go for a longer steep. Me, I’ll just sip this now and smile.

Michelle Butler Hallett

The liquor didn’t look downy at all, but it does offer a very soft mouthfeel, soft even for a Ceylon black tea.

Lots of nuance in the flavours as the tea cools and you get further down the cup, too.

TeaExplorer

This sounds like a tasty Ceylon. I’ve only had a few and they tended to have that copper tang. I’ll have to give this one a try. Thanks!

Tastes like malted honey. I think that I may have allowed it to steep a little too long on the walk back to my office, as I tasted it as I walked along and it seems as though it got a little past perfect and picked up a slight bitterness. Still very nice though.

Flavors: Honey, Malt

Dry leaf: Aroma of whole grain bread and fragrant molasses.

Liqueur: Clear copper. Smells like warmed grains.

Flavour: The cup is layered with flavors of malt, grains and sweet bread, with a bright texture.