Probiotea

Rooibos Tea
Cinnamon, Licorice, Natural Flavours, Peppermint, Rooibos, Sarsaparilla, Vanilla Bean
Mint, Root Beer, Vanilla
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Michelle

• “This is not something I would expect to like – but I tried it anyway – just so I could review it. I had to add sugar of course, but it’s not bad. Drinkable. I taste the vanilla more than the mint,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was a little hesitant to try this tea because it smelled like mouthwash and I hate to say it but it kind of tastes like it too. I like that it has probiotics in it but it is not a tea that I...” Read full tasting note
  • “New tea from this year’s Spring/Wellness collection. I think most on Steepster know that I don’t drink tea for the ‘wellness’ benefits, I drink it almost purely for taste so every year this is one...” Read full tasting note
  • “I had a seriously awful day yesterday. Today, while not much better, is calmer and less chaotic. The rant – I’ve been weathering the flu, my new boss started working on Tuesday, and we were short...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Body out of whack? This sweet, soothing rooibos is here to set you straight. It contains a generous dose of probiotics*, which support digestion and immunity as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle. And since it’s made with shelf-stable probiotics, it doesn’t need to be refrigerated. With its swirl of creamy vanilla, cooling mint and cleansing sarsaparilla, this is one digestive tea that tastes as good as it makes you feel. Best of both worlds!

*One 16 oz serving contains 1 billion probiotics (Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086). Daily consumption of at least 1 billion probiotics aids in digestion as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.

ingredients
Rooibos, sarsaparilla root, cinnamon, peppermint, licorice r oot, organic inulin, Bacillus coagulans GBI-30 6086 (GanedenBC30), vanilla bean, natural vanilla and caramel flavouring

About DAVIDsTEA View company

This is not something I would expect to like – but I tried it anyway – just so I could review it. I had to add sugar of course, but it’s not bad. Drinkable. I taste the vanilla more than the mint, and I do get a taste of rootbeer as well. But not overly powering. I wouldn’t get more of this tea, but its just okay.

Flavors: Mint, Root Beer, Vanilla

I was a little hesitant to try this tea because it smelled like mouthwash and I hate to say it but it kind of tastes like it too. I like that it has probiotics in it but it is not a tea that I freak over so I will stick to taking my pill version of prebiotics and probiotics. I am glad that I redeemed my free rewards on this one as it is a very expensive tea. For me, it is not worth the $15/50g price tag and I will most probably be giving away the remaining tea I have.

New tea from this year’s Spring/Wellness collection.

I think most on Steepster know that I don’t drink tea for the ‘wellness’ benefits, I drink it almost purely for taste so every year this is one of the hardest collections for me because the focus is so weighted towards the wellness benefits of the different blends. This one, in particular, is meant for digestion because of the added strain of probiotics. None of that is bad, I just wish it wasn’t the MAIN selling point. However, I guess I have learned a lot about probiotics since we launched this one – I did a lot of research because if I’m going to sell a tea with this sort of unusual added benefit then I want to make sure I’m doing so factually and accurately.

All of that aside, though, I’m just gonna focus on overall taste with my reviews because that’s what I care about – and in that regard I really wanted to like this tea because it sounded great! It’s basically mint, vanilla, and sarsaparilla with a bit of cinnamon. The combo of the first three things there had me excited though because sarsaparilla is what makes rootbeer taste like rootbeer, and the vanilla I thought could add a nice ‘float’ element. Finally, mint is sometimes used in homemade rootbeer or rootbeer flavoured things in combination with things like cinnamon and vanilla to sort of recreate the flavour of rootbeer. So basically, this should have rootbeer vibes – and I am INTO THAT.

However, in practice it didn’t really remind me of rootbeer? I just didn’t taste any sarsaparilla and while the mint, cinnamon, and vanilla were all present flavours for me they didn’t do that thing where they merged together to create one seamless flavour. Instead, they were very much all distinct, unique flavour notes. So the illusion was just broken for me. Also, I think the mint was stronger than the other two ingredients. That said, it didn’t taste bad or anything – it was just disappointing because it wasn’t what I wanted/expected. I think if I revisited with adjusted expectations that I could get into it though.

Also, worth noting that while I couldn’t grasp the rootbeer imagery I’ve had SEVERAL customers express that it smells/tastes like rootbeer to them and I’ve heard a couple staff say they really get the whole rootbeer float imagery. So maybe it comes down to ratio of ingredients in your scoop of tea or just an overall palate thing where some are able to distinguish individual ingredients rather than some who more get the ‘sum of the parts’ kind of experience? I don’t know.

One thing that’s been recommended to me is trying this iced because that helps bring out the rootbeer quality more? I guess I’ll have to try that before I make up my mind entirely.

The rant – I’ve been weathering the flu, my new boss started working on Tuesday, and we were short staffed. Students poured through the door en masse, meetings were booked in our rooms improperly and faculty weren’t happy with us. The dividing wall in our presentation space is broken so being down a room meant we were double booked in some cases. and then a complaint was submitted by who I assume is a student at the school, after they deemed us unfit public servants having witnessed us attempting to navigate the winds. It was so busy that I didn’t have an opportunity to eat lunch until 4pm, and even then it was while I discussed updates with a colleague and my interim boss(not new boss). Sighs.
Honestly, we are extremely short staffed or else I would have been at home clinging to my bed. What a great way to make a fabulous first impression on the guy who decides whether my contract is renewed in April. Ha!
When I arrived home, my driveway had frozen over like a skating rink. and I had a blowout argument with a friend over text. She’s on vacation out of country or else I’d have called to sort it out. She’s a colleague who I’ll see on a daily basis in a few weeks.
Ugh. Ok. I’m done.
This tea? I needed something cleansing and healthy. and caffeine free. On my way home from work. Just what I needed to keep my company during the train ride.
In terms of a rating, I really have no opinion on it. It tasted rather herbaceous with a nice punch of licorice. A mild background of mint, which I had hoped would be stronger. It could be that this sickness of mine muted things. The cinnamon was there as well, neither good nor bad in that moment. Some honey was added as well. I figured this hack cough of mine needed some.
I’m not in a rush to run out and buy this one based on taste. If I knew that the probiotics contained within were of a useful variety, then perhaps I’d be more excited.
It’s ok. I’m glad to have tried a cup and that it was there for me in my hour of need!

Rosehips

Eeek, what a day. I hope things even out soon.

Evol Ving Ness

Truly the day from hell. Good on you for going in anyway. You deserve a medal for that and other high accolades. Hope you feel much much better soon.

Indigobloom

@Rosehips and @Evol VIng Ness
Thank you! I generally get a last wind right about this time. So at the moment I feel pretty ok! Will pay for not already being asleep tomorrow methinks…

I may be alone in thinking this, but Probiotea reminds me somewhat of Santa’s Secret, but without the black tea base. I had low expectations for it initially, but it really exceeded those expectations, despite it having a base of red rooibos (I prefer green). The mint-vanilla combination was highly enjoyable, but the steep price point is what’s really going to distance me from this tea, unfortunately.

4 min, 15 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML