Coco Mango Chai (Formerly ME to WE India)

Fruit Herbal Blend
Apple, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Coconut, Ginger, Hibiscus, Mango, Natural Flavours, Turmeric
Apple, Mango, Pepper, Pineapple, Spicy, Sweet, banana, Coconut, Ginger, Cardamon, Black Pepper, Creamy, Fruity, Spices
Caffeine Free
Fair Trade, Kosher, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

• “Sipdown! 203/365! As it happens, I actually still have some of this left, under its other name (I’m drinking “ME to WE India” right now). Which is ok, because it’s actually a fairly pleasant blend....” Read full tasting note
  • “This is my favourite tea, I’m stocked-up on it. This is surprising, considering I generally don’t like fruity teas, but this is an exception. I can leave the tea bag in with this one because it...” Read full tasting note
  • “Hilariously, the tea I love at DAVIDs is the one every else is meh about – and the tea I disliked (Lemon Pound Cake) is the one everyone raves about. Go figure. More for me! I asked the staff...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is better when it is hotter. However, I still find the pineapple to be a bit too sweet given that there is not much spice here despite there being ingredients like turmeric, ginger, and...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

This luscious all-natural blend of sweet mango, creamy coconut and ethically sourced Indian turmeric isn’t just delicious hot or iced – every 50 g / 2 oz purchase gives two weeks of clean water to a developing community in India. What’s more, we sprinkled in warm traditional spices like ginger and cardamom. The result? A flavourful fruity twist on chai that’s as rich and vibrant as the country you’re giving back to.

Price per 50g: $8.98

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Sipdown! 203/365!

As it happens, I actually still have some of this left, under its other name (I’m drinking “ME to WE India” right now). Which is ok, because it’s actually a fairly pleasant blend. Sweet pineapple with a touch of coconut, and just a hint of spice, are what I get from this blend, making it a little like an extra-fruity pina colada.

In random news, my concern for the potential demise of Steepster resulted in me having my husband write a macro (or something) to pull all my tasting notes/scores into an Excel sheet so that I won’t lose them in the event that the site goes down permanently, which I certainly hope it doesn’t. The export isn’t pretty, but at least it saves everything I need (with bonus fun sortability!) I feel like something like this was used by others at some point… (?) so I might have just missed that boat, but if there’s anyone out there who wants to get their notes in Excel format, I can get him to do that. It was just going to be a ridiculously laborious task for me to go through 420 or so pages of notes and copy them, and apparently he had fun spending a Friday night working on it for me…

AJRimmer

That’s a great idea! I was thinking about going through and writing myself a one sentence summary of each tea I’ve reviewed on Word or something. My main goal is to remind myself if I want to rebuy a tea or not, so maybe an Excel file would be better so there could be basically a yay or nay column.

gmathis

Yeah, 10 years plus of “My Life In Tea” would be a little sad to lose.

Roswell Strange

I would 100% be interested in taking up that offer and getting my notes in excel format – though I definitely understand if it’s too laborious of an undertaking XD

Kittenna

@Roswell – it’s not laborious at all, because it’s all automated :D There’s a bit of work, but most of it went into making the tool in the first place. I’ll have him do an export for you tonight. He also wanted to know if there’s anything he’s not exporting that you’d be interested in having – currently it’s tea name, tea company name, tasting note text, score, and date/time.

@AJRimmer/gmathis – happy to do the same for either of you. It’s really not much work. It really would be sad to lose everything I’ve written (I believe I wrote about my husband’s and my first date, even! My steepster presence predates our relationship.), so I decided to be proactive and save things while I can.

tea-sipper

Yeah… I copied and pasted about 280 pages of tasting notes into e-mail drafts a couple months ago…. it surprisingly didn’t take too long… haha. I have zero tech knowledge though.

Roswell Strange

@Kittenna – I can’t really think of anything else that would be missing; that seems like generally all of the major points. Maybe the “flavours” section that appears at the bottom of a tasting note (the section where you’re inputting the flavours manually during the editing process) if that’s not captured in the tasting note text portion?

Kittenna

@tea-sipper I started to do that, but it was so ugly (the way I was doing it, anyhow) and I felt like it would require a ton of reformatting to be useful. But – having the notes in any format is better than not at all!

Kittenna

@Roswell Ah – I don’t use that field so I didn’t even think of it. We took a look, and it appears to be pretty easy to add as an additional column, so he’s doing so :)

tea-sipper

Yeah, any format I can save the notes in is better than one day having them disappear. Though I really hope that doesn’t happen, Steepster! (hint hint)

Leafhopper

Yeah, this is something I’d be interested in (though I have many fewer notes than you do!). Let’s cross our fingers that Steepster doesn’t go down and we don’t need to worry.

Kittenna

FWIW, I had my husband export notes for AJRimmer, gmathis, and Roswell Strange. I had to clean up a couple missed things, but I think they’re complete as of the export date. I have them in a Google doc right now, but need to change the settings and then can share it if you guys are interested. Might have him re-run the script from time to time to keep things up to date. Leafhopper + tea-sipper, we might toss yours in there as well at some point.

I’m really hoping that we don’t need to worry about it! And that Steepster somehow is rejuvenated at some point.

tea-sipper

Not necessary for me, Kittenna. I’m completely useless at those types of things, but I have mine copied over in a way I can manage, even if it’s primitive. haha. I REALLY appreciate the offer though. Thanks

Roswell Strange

Thank you Kittenna – it’s really appreciated & thank your hubby on my behalf as well!

AJRimmer

Thank you! That will be so useful!

This is my favourite tea, I’m stocked-up on it. This is surprising, considering I generally don’t like fruity teas, but this is an exception. I can leave the tea bag in with this one because it never goes bitter, and sometimes I’ll reuse the tea bag in my water bottle.

Flavors: Apple, Mango, Pepper, Pineapple

180 °F / 82 °C 8 min or more 2 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML
Kittenna

I recently put this on my shopping list – the name change caused me to actually realize what the ingredients were, and it actually sounds kind of appealing!

Go figure. More for me!

I asked the staff member serving me, after grabbing a ridiculous amount of small samples, “Okay, what else do I NEED to try?”

He immediately said this tea. I’m in. Turmeric, pepper, cardamom and pineapple? YEESS…. (and why have I not thought of this myself?)

I imagined this to be like a lassi, minus the yogurt, and I was spot on. This is DELICIOUS.

That is, if you like chai-like spices and sweet, sweet pineapple.

I do. So there ya go.

I could drink this all day. Oh wait, I did yesterday. I let it steep 7 minutes the first time around, and about half an hour the second time around. Even my 10-year-old, the pickiest of all tea drinkers, loved it.

Flavors: Pepper, Pineapple, Spicy, Sweet

Boiling 8 min or more 4 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
VariaTEA

When I tried this it had potential but the stevia just killed it for me :(

MissB

Yea, I hate that they’re adding sweeteners to their teas. Let me decide how sweet (or not) that I want it, please. I mean, I get it… from a profit perspective at least. But from a user perspective, I’m loving DAVIDs less and less the more time goes on.

Kittenna

Ah, so there is stevia. Sigh. I thought I tasted that familiar lingering taste, although it wasn’t as strong as it has been.

This is better when it is hotter. However, I still find the pineapple to be a bit too sweet given that there is not much spice here despite there being ingredients like turmeric, ginger, and peppercorns in the mix.

This was another in-store sample that was just…well…underwhelming. This isn’t a tea that would normally interest me, but a fruity tea with chai spices sounded intriguing. Thankfully it wasn’t just a spiced piña colada. It had some nice depth despite the sample tasting a bit diluted. The mango overshadowed the pineapple note for me (thankfully), and the spices were subtle but present. It’s not a tea I’d rush out to try again, but it wasn’t bad.

I got 50g of this for at home, since it tasted pretty good in store. Surprising, because I’m not a huge fan of cardamom or black pepper… I mostly taste the mango, pineapple and coconut. Although I do get the aftertaste of turmeric/ginger. It’s a pretty tropical taste. Also, I kinda get a hint of banana, even though there is no banana in this tea. Weird, but pretty good. (Could do with less coconut though) hahaha

Flavors: banana, Coconut, Ginger, Mango, Pineapple

Iced 4 min, 0 sec

I can definitely see the appeal. It reminds me of now discontinued Exotica, which I loved, but this one missed the mark a bit for me.

I had this as an iced tea yesterday! I bought just enough of a sample to try it and it was delicious. I steeped it for a long time! This tea had a very strong coconut and mango flavour with a slight spicy flavour at the end of each sip. I’ve never had tumeric before so I don’t know if I can taste it or not. It was very sweet without adding anything to it. I really enjoyed it and will be stocking up for the summer! I can see this one being a go to tea for sure!!!

Flavors: Black Pepper, Coconut, Mango, Pineapple

Iced 8 min or more 5 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I was so skeptical of this tea-I thought the ingredients would taste so bad together but people online have been saying it is amazing, so naturally, I just had to try it. And they were right! It tastes SO good! Weirdly, I found this blend tasted a lot like a pina colada! I will be stocking up on this tea and I can feel good about it as the proceeds are going to charity for clean drinking water just like the Me to We Kenya which is equally as delicious!

New tea alert! (I’m a touch late is posting it though – this has been out for a while now.)

Firstly, I just have to say that it feels really nice working for a company that makes an effort to contribute to organizations like the WE Foundation; being a socially conscious consumer is important and I like that we have teas that allow us to do that. It would be great to see more expansion of that way of thinking with future teas, such as sourcing more Fair Trade blends, or partnering with other charitable groups with future teas. This is a really good branch on that tree though.

Flavour wise, I think this is really interesting! It’s basically like a fruity, herbal Chai; lots of mango and coconut and then some turmeric, black pepper, and cardamom for a spicier kick too. There’s other stuff like hibiscus and ginger but personally I only really tasted the ingredients I first mentioned, which makes sense because though are the main ingredients. Coconut/mango is a pairing I adore (especially as a sticky rice topping) that it made me really exciting when I saw that in the blend – and I like that the mangoes used in this blend come from India also. It’s very sweet, very vibrant and has a kind of exotic, tropical flair to it. The spices are not overwhelming and just provide some needed heat and depth to the blend. Turmeric is definitely the strongest of them; which makes sense because the whole bloody blend has this intense yellow tint to it. I’ve only had it iced so far, but I think it just works. I can imagine a hot cup would have the same very rich, prominent mango top notes with coconut accents that the iced cup has, maybe with a little more of the ginger/cardamom? I don’t know – I’ll have to try it.

Is it my favourite herbal? No. Do I like it more than our original ME to WE blend? No. However, it’s still quite good and I feel really good about drinking it and the support it provides. 50g of this is two weeks of clean drinking water to someone in a developing community in India; and that’s good because not only do you need water for drinking but it helps lead to better agricultural practices (food!), sanitation, and keeps girls from missing out on an education because they were spending their day hauling water to their community. All around win!