Deep Blue Spirulina

White Tea
Apple Pieces, Coconut, Lemon Verbena, Licorice Root, Mango, Natural Flavours, Pineapple, White Tea
Citrusy, Coconut, Fruity, Green, Pineapple, Sweet, Fruit Punch, Moss, Soap, Tropical
Low
Kosher, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Perry Papadopoulos

• “Just bought this tea on sale at David’s tea at half price. I love trying new tea’s espically ones with health properties. Best brewed with water that is just under boiling. It started light in...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was good. Fruity … which I honestly didn’t expect, and I enjoyed the blue-green color. Probably not something I’m going to repurchase because it honestly wasn’t memorable enough, but I enjoyed...” Read full tasting note
  • “Flavour and aroma reminds me strongly of the Flinstones Children’s Vitamins I was given as a child. Flavour is very dilute- I’m not getting much white tea flavour in this one.” Read full tasting note
  • “Brewed up to be a nice color, but tasted disconcertingly like mossy Hawaiian punch with soapy undertones (from the coconut?). I like spirulina and expect a certain amount of ‘grassy’ flavor from...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Beneath its splash of pineapple and mango, this emerald blue tea has hidden depths – from vitamin and mineral-packed spirulina and moringa to beautiful butterfly pea flower. With its delicate base of white tea and refreshing tropical aromas, it’s a delicious way to stay hydrated all season long. Ice yourself a cup and get ready to take the plunge!

Ingredients: Pineapple (pineapple, sugar), apple, mango (mango, sugar), white tea, coconut, lemon verbena, liquorice root, melon (melon, sucrose, citric acid), moringa, spirulina, butterfly pea flowers, natural flavouring.

Price per 50g: $10.98

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Just bought this tea on sale at David’s tea at half price. I love trying new tea’s espically ones with health properties. Best brewed with water that is just under boiling. It started light in colour and started to change to an indigo purple colour after 2mins. The fragrance was fruity and tropical. Imagine if summer had a fragrance it would smell like this tea. The flavor was as it smelt. Moderate strength pineapple and fruit with a hint of the spirulina. Would probably taste really good over ice with a touch of honey.
I would reccomed this tea for anyone who likes flavoured white tea with a little something extra.

Once

Flavors: Citrusy, Coconut, Fruity, Green, Pineapple, Sweet

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 9 OZ / 266 ML

This was good. Fruity … which I honestly didn’t expect, and I enjoyed the blue-green color. Probably not something I’m going to repurchase because it honestly wasn’t memorable enough, but I enjoyed this while it lasted.

Brewed up to be a nice color, but tasted disconcertingly like mossy Hawaiian punch with soapy undertones (from the coconut?). I like spirulina and expect a certain amount of ‘grassy’ flavor from it, but what I got was a musty artificial-tasting tropical mess. It was essentially undrinkable hot, and marginally better cold/iced. Mixing it with a dash of lemon improved the flavor, but it was still a chore to drink through this one.

Flavors: Fruit Punch, Moss, Soap

When I steep this, the color is a lot more muted than in pictures, but it’s probably because I’m not putting enough leaf in. Just trying to stretch my tea! Anyway the color changing is fun, but I don’t add lemon because I don’t want my tea tasting like lemons. Drinking it plain, it tastes kind of boring. It’s a strange flavor that I can’t really compare to anything. Not bad, just kind of medium. I’ll definitely finish my two ounces, but this tea isn’t exciting enough to order again.

I still hadn’t tried this tea, so I got an iced cup to go today and it wasn’t bad. Definitely better than Magic Potion. Not artificial tasting, and kind of tropical. It steeped a nice dark blue colour. It was good, but only with sweetener. Wouldn’t buy any though.

Flavors: Tropical

This tea is amazingly sweet mix with with lemonade and its even better

I love the pineapple smell coming from this bag of tea and it steeped a beautiful blue color. But…this tea is so nasty! It tastes medicinal and made my stomach queasy just from one sip. I think I will pass on this one and toss the rest down the drain.

I’ve had this one twice now, both times iced.

The first time I had it I actually liked it a fair bit. I mean, it wasn’t one of those “Wow, OMG!” teas but it was solid – and very fun because (due to the Spirulina and Butterfly Pea Flower) it brews up a brilliant dark blue colour. This actually isn’t my first Spirulina tea; I’ve got one from Cornelia Bean with a very different flavour profile. I think it’s a cool ingredient to use in tea, and was excited to see we were doing a take on it.

Taste wise, it’s got a lot of Moringa in it, and I find that makes it taste like a sort of passion fruit/grapefruit kind of combo, with the undertones of the coconut in the blend. It was pretty medium bodied and smooth, and made for a refreshing iced tea.

However, the same day I tried my first iced glass of this I also went out for sushi with a few friends – and I ended up getting super sick. I spent the entire next morning just completing throwing up, feeling incredibly queasy, and the sight of ANYTHING food or drink wise just made it worse. The kicker, though, was that all my vomit was tinted blue. That’s probably an overshare, but it ties into what I’m about to say next…

So, a few days later I’m feeling fine and am back at work. We were really demoing this tes/hyping it up because it’s brand new. I decided to make myself an iced cup of it ’cause all that talk about it all day was kind of making me crave it. Association is a powerful thing my friends; I took one sip of it and I just felt like I was going to get sick all over again. I could not drink it; it just brought me right back to how awful and ill I felt when I had, what was likely, food poisoning.

In fact, even the smell of this one now makes me gag.

I completely DO NOT blame the tea at all – but I think I’m going to perma associate this one with that terrible, negative experience and just wont be able to touch this one again.

Mastress Alita

I got food poisoning on my birthday, and the only other thing I’d had that day other than my birthday dinner was tea (a matcha latte and a birthday cake rooibos). Thankfully the dinner was so overpowering I didn’t really notice any of the tea and didn’t form any associations with it, but it was the worst case of food poisoning I’d ever had and major dehydration set in. I’m so sorry to hear you recently had to go through that as well.

Roswell Strange

Years ago, I had the flu on Christmas – I had been drinking non stop tea all day and then completely threw it all up. It tasted so potently of one of the Butiki teas I had been drinking that for a short time I was completely turned off Butiki in general. I got over it though, so maybe I’ll get over this one…

Mastress Alita

Ouch! It’ll probably just take time, and possibly some slow reintroduction of individual flavors/ingredients. I certainly hope I’ll be able to eat hamburgers again, but it’s been a month since that food poisoning run-in and I haven’t exactly had a craving yet, heh. Thank goodness I dodged the tea bullet, considering how much I drink in a day!

I’ve tried this twice now and i’m not sure how i feel about it. I think i DO like it better hot vs after it’s cooled and i think you probably need a little sweetness added to this one to really make it better. Overall since i didn’t love it right out of the gate, don’t need more. I’ll send my last cup to you VariaTEA