Banana Grapefruit

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Low
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

• “Sample from variatea. :) I’m not a fan of David’s tea. I find them too expensive, not all that exciting and often they have too much damn stevia in their blends or other artificial sweetener. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “Banana Grapefruit? Nah fam, that sounds awful. That’s what I thought to myself when I saw the name of this blend. I had completely written it off, and then I went to the DT website and saw that it...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was so excited for this one, and it does not disappoint. I really enjoy the DavidsTea blends with banana chips in them, as I love the creamy sweetness that they add to the mix. I also love...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you for sharing Roswell Strange. This was quite good actually, creamy and a lot of grapefruit flavor. With a punch of banana. I am not a grapefruit lover so while I can appreciate the nice...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

Hey, smoothie lovers: Try this day-brightening, fruity black tea blend. With creamy banana and a splash of zesty pink grapefruit, it’s a tropical treat you can sip anytime. Try it on the rocks for a deliciously caffeinated iced tea that’ll leave you invigorated and totally refreshed. It’s bananas!

Apple, candied mango (mango, sugar), black tea, banana chips (banana, highly refined coconut oil, sugar, flavouring), apple pomace (apple pomace, citric acid), sunflower blossoms, grapefruit peel, natural flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Sample from variatea. :) I’m not a fan of David’s tea. I find them too expensive, not all that exciting and often they have too much damn stevia in their blends or other artificial sweetener. Ugh. But I DOlike trying new teas and I do like banana and grapefruit.

This one had good banana flavour but the grapefruit was sort of meh. That’s about all I remember from when I had it lol. I’ll have to try it again and see where I land again.

VariaTEA

This was courtesy of Roswell Strange originally.

Banana Grapefruit? Nah fam, that sounds awful.

That’s what I thought to myself when I saw the name of this blend. I had completely written it off, and then I went to the DT website and saw that it was a fruity black tea blend. Uh, I love fruity black tea blends. I love banana black teas. I really enjoy grapefruit in tea as well. I put it in my cart with a few (sadly) retiring teas that I wanted to stock up on. I decided to wait it out for the next collection to drop. I’m usually a fan of DT’s iced tea/summer blends because I’m a proud member of #teamhibiscus, so I figured there was a decent chance that something new would come along that I’d want to try.

Welp, before that actually happened, someone in the FB fan group mentioned a 20% off code that worked on even the smallest quantity of tea sold on the website — 2 ounces on the US site, usually you have to buy 4 ounces or more of a specific tea to use these sorts of discounts. So, I bit the bullet. If I hated it, I could easily get through 2 ounces of tea if I made it iced, which is how I’d intended to prepare it anyway.

To my complete (and pleasant) surprise, I really enjoy it. I tried it both hot and iced, just to see if the notes varied vastly. They didn’t. The hot cuppa had a bit more of a pronounced grapefruit flavor to my tastebuds, but otherwise they tasted quite similar. It’s truly a fruit infusion with just a handful of black tea leaves. That’s not a complaint, just an observation. There’s minimal black tea flavor. It just adds some body, serving as a vehicle to carry the other ingredients. The banana note is there, but it’s more creamy, subtle banana flavor than in-your-face banana flavor. The mango really adds to the blend’s tropical juice vibes, and the grapefruit offers a light, zesty citrus note.

It sounds really weird combination of ingredients. But, it’s definitely worth a sample if you like fruity/tropical blends. I’ll be stocking up on this in the coming weeks.

Flavors: banana, Grapefruit, Mango

tea-sipper

There was a discussion the other day about how gross banana grapefruit SOUNDS, but I guess this tea is proving that wrong. :D

Roswell Strange

Haha – that was on my tasting note. I still don’t 100% understand the reason WHY it sounds so unappealing to people – banana/orange isn’t a wildly uncommon flavour combo, especially in smoothies (which is what this tea is based on)! Grapefruit, especially sweet grapefruit like this, isn’t that terribly far off from that pairing…

apieceofquiche

Despite being a native Texan who’s eaten her fair share of Ruby Reds, when I think of grapefruit, sweet isn’t the first (or second or third) word that comes to mind. So, yeah, it sounded odd…really odd.

I was so excited for this one, and it does not disappoint. I really enjoy the DavidsTea blends with banana chips in them, as I love the creamy sweetness that they add to the mix. I also love grapefruit, and it’s done perfectly here, reminding me of pink grapefruit sorbet. So refreshing and sweet. I get a good amount of the tropical mango as well.
Creamy banana, sugared pink grapefruit, and tropical, perfumey mango. I love the scent of this and wish that I could get it in a perfume, and it tastes as good as it smells. It’s sweet, but not overly so, and makes me feel like I’m on vacation at a tropical island. I’m usually not wild about fruity teas, but this one is hitting all the right notes for me, and I’m definitely going to be stocking up.
The tropical scent is wafting all around me from my cup this morning and it just makes me feel happy :)

Thank you for sharing Roswell Strange. This was quite good actually, creamy and a lot of grapefruit flavor. With a punch of banana. I am not a grapefruit lover so while I can appreciate the nice flavor, I dont think I’m the target audience.

New Tea Alert!

I’ve been struggling to figure out what I want to say about this tea because, for me at least, it’s been a part of my weekly tea rotation for months now. Like, I don’t want to jump the gun and say it’s my all time favourite tea from DT but at the same time… It might be!?

Like, I have about 700g of this tea in my house right now and another few hundred grams of it in my desk at work – I’ve never had so much of one tea before, but I’m just so worried that this tea isn’t going to be appreciated and I don’t want to run out of it. I drink it probably two or three times a week, and it’s funny to me because on Steepster this is going to show up as my “first time” ever having this tea, but I think it might actually be my most consumed tea… ever.

I do prefer it hot over iced, but it’s quite enjoyable iced too! And I know that Banana Grapefruit sounds like a very weird and unusual flavour combination because, well, it is. However, it works! This was inspired very heavily by smoothies, and I 100% get that when I drink the tea: it’s tangy, fresh and fruity with a lot of obvious citrus note brightness from the grapefruit in the blend but it’s also creamy, and dense and rich. It’s everything that I would expect from a smoothie flavoured tea, except for the fact that you can’t really add milk to this blend. It’s funny; six months ago I would have said that grapefruit was simply just one of those flavours that DT couldn’t nail in an enjoyable way, and within the last six months two of the blends I’ve enjoyed the most from DT have been grapefruit flavoured. Never would have expected that.

I find I can taste both the banana and the grapefruit in this blend, as well as just a general tropical fruit vibe (pineapple/mango like without being distinct pineapple and mango) but I do think I taste the banana just a smidge more.

So yeah – I think my list of all time favourites from DT is probably this now:

1. Banana Grapefruit
2. Cranberry Pear
3. Blueberry Jam

And then honorable mentions to Apple Custard, Peach Mai Tai, Rhubarb Cream Soda, Tropicalia, and many, many others.

I know Banana Grapefruit SOUNDS weird; but I highly recommend giving at least a cup worth of it a shot first (with an open mind) before you dismiss it just because the name sounds strange…

Kawaii433

It does sound really weird. I love both fruits so much too. I’m going to try it. :)

tea-sipper

Whoa, I saw the name of this tea and thought it sounds like the worst combination ever. So it’s very surprising it’s your favorite! I thought of Blueberry Jam when I woke up this morning, so maybe I’ll brew some up tomorrow.

Roswell Strange

(Honestly we probably should have named this tea anything other than Banana Grapefruit…)

tea-sipper

Yeah, ANY other name probably would have worked better. As is, it just sounds BAD. haha

Roswell Strange

I’m still not 100% sure why it’s so awful sounding (though I kinda get it) – it’s not like people get weirded out by the idea of banana and orange; banana smoothies with orange juice are a pretty common thing and I’ve 100% seen froyo/yogurt and tea with that flavour pairing that didn’t illicit the same response from people. Grapefruit is just another citrus fruit and isn’t even that far off from orange – so idk. Anyway, it works REALLY well in this tea; I just think it’s gonna be a hard sell to even get people to try it ."

tea-sipper

It’s weird that I think the combo is weird! haha. I definitely have smoothies with banana and orange juice. Though I prefer making it more milkshake like, and not use orange juice. But maybe the bitterness of grapefruit just seems odd with banana to me?

Roswell Strange

I can see that; to be fair the two grapefruit blends DT put out prior to this one and Grapefruit Rose Starburst were pretty bitter/pithy – but these last two have been pink grapefruit flavoured (so sweeter/juicier) which is why I, personally, think they’ve worked better. Who knows, though – sometimes it’s just hard to picture certain flavour combinations. The pineapple/ham effect, if you will.

Oh I LOVE pineapple and ham. Had a saucy pineapple ham pizza just last week. :D

Tania

I love this one so much! I was worried about bitter grapefruit peel, but it really does smell and taste like juicy, sugared, pink grapefruit, and the creamy banana and tropical mango just make it over the top wonderful. I love the strong scent and flavor. I hope that more people give it a chance :)

Mastress Alita

Well, I can’t stand bananas or grapefruit so I already know it would not be a blend for me, heh.