Satsuma Spice Cake

Low
Kosher, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

From DAVIDsTEA

Spice up your holiday. Sweet and spicy with a hint of rich caramel, this low caffeine black tea blend is inspired by satsuma, a mouth-wateringly zesty orange variety. Plus it’s got all the warmth and comfort of a festive spice cake, minus the calories. Serve it with your favourite teatime dessert for a sophisticated afternoon treat.

Black tea, Apple, Orange peel, Pineapple (pinapple, sugar), Sugar, Natural flavouring.

Sweet caramel and zesty Satsuma orange, with a warming spice aroma.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I overleafed this tea, but the flavor still came out super mild. Other reviews complain about it being too sweet, but I must be some monster because even after adding sugar, I still don’t find it sweet enough. It’s lightly orangey, but the black tea tastes a little low quality. The whole blend just seems pretty artificial and meh. I’ve shared it with a few family members, and they all thought it was pretty strange as well.

Lupiressmoon

Years ago I Had Orange black spice tea bags. They were cheap, and I cannot remember the blend or where I got them. Not high quality. They were fabulous and I have been wanting something I’ve enjoyed since with a spice and orange. You’d think since this was a common profile blend, it’d be easier! Sorry this one did not work for you, I have the same issue often with orange spice teas – same for cinnamon. Most are weak tasting to me, or artificial.

AJRimmer

Yeah I don’t know if I’ve found a tea I really love in that flavor profile!

AJRimmer Advent Day 22

I’m not quite sure how satsuma differs from orange. Is orange the general term like apple and satuma is a type like fuji or granny smith? I have some google searching to do! I saw one review where someone compared it to the taste of a chocolate orange and I feel like that is a pretty good description. It has a similar flavor and boldness. There is a little bit of a tart tang to it and it lacks the depth that actual chocolate brings to the chocolate orange. The finish is a bright orange flavor, but I’m not getting any spice or the cake association. Either way it’s a nice cup to start my morning with!

Update after my google search: I might have a satsuma tree growing in the backyard! There is some sort of citrus tree that I ignore and the rats from the neighbor’s garage devour. I have a sensitivity to the citric acid, so I have to pick and choose when to eat citrus (flavoring like in tea is fine) and the fruit on this tree doesn’t make the cut. In my quick search I ran across a recipe that uses zest from the fruit for a curd and I think I could eat that. I’m going to have to give it a go!

White Antlers

A satsuma is in the mandarin family and is a kind of tangerine. It has soft, loose skin that you peel to get to the seedless citrus sections inside. Its flesh is tart/sweet.

Cameron B.

It looks like it’s a type of mandarin, similar to but not the same as a tangerine.

Dustin

Ah, okay. It’s looking like they are hard to tell apart from others like clementines. Now I’m not sure what this tree in my yard is!

White Antlers

Clementines are usually fairly small. They are smaller than tangerines and satsumas. They are rounder and have tighter skin than a satsuma (which tends to be more like a slightly flattened orb) and their flesh is sweeter than a satsuma, too.

Cameron B.

I’ll have to keep a lookout for satsuma at the grocery, now I want to try one! :P

12009 tasting notes

another sipdown Still too sweet and weird for me at the end of the day.

Now, I was really excited after smelling the raw ingredients and knowing that many have already enjoyed this steep. However, I have to say, I was a bit disappointed after my first few sips. This isn’t a bad tea, but I also don’t find anything particularly special or unique about it. It has the bitter black tea feel, but I am shocked that I don’t get the hint of any orange giving its smell. The fruit elements combine together to create a more subtle spice cake flavoring, but the orange is absent. As well, I find the flavor more hidden and subtle rather than the bold flavor I would normally expect from a black tea blend.

Flavors: Bitter, Citrus

Thank you Roswell Strange for sharing this with me. It definitely screams sweet citrus, which isn’t bad and at least the sweet is from sugar and not stevia. There is also a strong caramel note. So those two elements are checked off and present in excess. I just wish there was also some actual spice. There is sweet on sweet and spice would be an awesome counter balance.

Tastes like those Terry’s chocolate oranges from Christmas. A bit heavy on stevia but a cozy tea.

Definitely a nice, festive holiday blend that is a bit more unique. I’m mainly getting a candied citrus peel (caramely sweetness with some bitterness from the peel). I don’t get any spice, but I’m okay with that. I’m actually really enjoying this tea. I was hesitant my first couple sips, but the more I drink it, the more I want to keep drinking it.

Flavors: Caramel, Citrus, Citrus Zest

First tea from today, and honestly probably the best one!?

Out of all the cake teas from my giant seventeen tea line up, this is probably tied with AQ2T’s Red Wine Apple Cake for my favourite and I think it was almost definitely the favourite of my coworkers from the tasting I organized. Of course, we all have at least a little bit of bias though…

I just enjoy how smooth this is, and the flavour was very caramelized citrus. Not too sweet though, which is important for something that tastes caramelized.

Kittenna

This sounds good. I hate online exclusives!