Juniper Joy

Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange
Iced

From DAVIDsTEA

How it tastes:
Fresh and herbaceous with a delicate strawberry twist

A refreshing break. Take five from the holiday festivities with this fiercely fresh, edgy blend of energizing black tea, sweet berries, hydrating hibiscus blossoms and playful juniper – citrusy berries hailed for their cleansing benefits. Sip it hot, on the rocks or infused into your favourite gin cocktail.

Hibiscus blossoms, Apple pieces (apple, citric acid), Sweet blackberry leaves, Juniper berries, Black tea, Beetroot pieces, Nettle leaves, Lemongrass, Strawberries, Rose petals, Natural strawberry cream and juniper flavouring.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I love this tea iced! It a sweet hibiscus tea, but a slight chemical aftertaste.

Flavors: Hibiscus

Iced

I was happy to see DavidsTea release another juniper forward tea. I love the flavor of juniper, and find it unfortunately underutilized. I actually didn’t realize this was a black tea, and let it to steep for about 10 minutes. The flavor wasn’t impacted (I actually can’t see any tea leaves in the dry mix, or taste the base at all). I find that the cream flavoring is really heavy, and in conjunction with the hibiscus, I just can’t really taste the juniper at all. I prefer Wintergreen Wonderland over this.

Another new tea from the New Year’s stuff this year!

This is a weird one for me, and not really because of the tea itself but more just because I saw the tea go through a TON of changes through development up until the final blend. There’s an earlier version of it that’s a lot more forward on the strawberry flavour and a little less lemongrass heavy that I just adored – but I do really like the final version as well.

I think I just want more fruity black teas on the wall in general which might bias me a little bit, but this is a fun mix! It’s still strawberry tasting – more of that cooked down and dense strawberry leaning towards being jammy, and less a bright/fresh strawberry taste. I get a little lemongrass and some more herbal elements from the ingredients like the nettle, but the best part to me is the pine notes from the juniper. I like juniper a lot and have often been known to pre crush the juniper in my measured out tea leaf in order to extract extra pine notes and make it really strong. I think the strawberry and very, very slight tartness go together with it so well! It reminds me of a some type of especially botanical forward gin based cocktail with like a strawberry simple syrup made from cooked down strawberries and I am sssoooooo here for that!

I have drank a lot of this tea over the last year – and I don’t really know that other people will appreciate it as much as I have because I don’t know how commercial juniper/gin are as flavours, but I hope the strawberry makes it more approachable because I think it’s a pretty cool blend of ingredients and a nice tea!

Martin Bednář

Juniper in tea? Sounds interesting!