Vanilla Bean Black

Bulk, Loose Leaf
Low
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

• “I know that stevia is a natural sweetner. I get that. But to me, it tastes so artificial. It leaves that same taste and feeling that those water sweetners (like Mio) leave in my mouth and throat....” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve been trying to be good, so haven’t made many DT purchases (or any tea purchases for that matter) lately. But, I couldn’t resist the ‘free shipping on any order’ promotion, on top of having a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Made a hot mug of this last weekend as a late morning/early afternoon tea to sip on while I lazed around the house – it was very creamy with a caramelized vanilla custard and coconut vibe. Sort of...” Read full tasting note

From DAVIDsTEA

What happens when you fuse rich, decadent vanilla bean & malty black tea? You get a mellow yet intensely flavourful blend you’ll love to sip hot, iced and as a frothy tea latte. Our Vanilla Bean Black comes laced with white hibiscus blossoms and shredded coconut for a touch of creaminess and an underlying sweetness.

Black tea, Coconut rasps, Apple, Bean peel, Natural vanilla flavouring, White hibiscus blossoms, Vanilla, Stevia extract.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I know that stevia is a natural sweetner. I get that. But to me, it tastes so artificial. It leaves that same taste and feeling that those water sweetners (like Mio) leave in my mouth and throat. It leaves that weird aftertaste and I can’t handle it.

I got this one because I LOVE black tea and I love vanilla. But honestly, the stevia in this one sucks. Sometimes you taste it, sometimes you don’t. Today I absolutely noticed it. I actually want to try this one as a latte. I might throw a bit of sweetner in it when I do and see if that covers the stevia taste.

Anyways, I like this one, but don’t. And honestly, unless they take the stevia out, I won’t be rebuying it once it’s gone. I’m sure I can find a vanilla black tea that doesn’t have stevia in it.

ashmanra

I understand! Monkfruit is supposed to be natural but it leaves a terrible, cloying aftertaste to me.

gmathis

I agree. With very few exceptions, I strongly prefer that the tea purveyor lets me make my own sweetening choices.

I’ve been trying to be good, so haven’t made many DT purchases (or any tea purchases for that matter) lately. But, I couldn’t resist the ‘free shipping on any order’ promotion, on top of having a free 2oz of tea to redeem. So, I grabbed 4oz of Vanilla Orchid (which is apparently being discontinued :::crying:::), and 2oz of this. I was so conflicted- I love vanilla black teas, but I hate stevia. I decided to risk it. Luckily, the stevia is pretty unnoticeable. Made it as an oat milk latte, and it was quite nice. My boyfriend liked it a lot more than I did, so I will probably be reserving this for lattes for him.

Flavors: Coconut, Cookie, Vanilla

Made a hot mug of this last weekend as a late morning/early afternoon tea to sip on while I lazed around the house – it was very creamy with a caramelized vanilla custard and coconut vibe. Sort of creme brulee like, but not that fully caramelized sugar type of vibe. I enjoyed it a lot, though I still 100% maintain that this is a custard and coconut tea and less so a “vanilla bean” tea…

With that said, I saw some people complaining that there wasn’t actual vanilla in the tea even though it’s in the name. While I don’t actually personally think this tastes like true vanilla, there is real vanilla bean in the tea. If you look carefully you can actually see it in the leaf. Now, to be fair it’s not a lot – but a little bit of vanilla goes a long way. Plus, vanilla is one of the most expensive ingredients to work with – it is NOT cheap! If you look at the vanilla blends from the majority of major tea companies out there, they’re not using the actual vanilla bean – exceptions exist, obviously. It’s just not the norm to see real vanilla in most vanilla teas, point blank.