Caramel Chai Buttercream

Black Chai Fruit Blend
Frosting, Spices, Spicy, Chamomile
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “So, uh, yesterday (apparently June 29) I was convinced that I had a solid 5 days left of June. At least 3. Clearly, I was very wrong. Not sure how this month managed to pass so quickly. (Oh yeah,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another Deb blend that I’m kind of on the fence about… I wouldn’t normally get excited about this kind of Chai because I’ve had more than one caramel chai and they are usually underwhelming to...” Read full tasting note
  • “2022 Spring Tea Swap – Day 8 From Emilie! My first tea from Dessert by Deb! The dry blend didn’t just smell like chai spices, it was spicy. It took me by surprise actually. After steeping, it was...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipped this tea during a zoom meeting that required a little emotional support! This had a large chunk of star anise in it, so it was very chai-y and tasty. It does make me worry that other cups...” Read full tasting note

From Dessert by Deb

Imagine a warm, fluffy cupcake topped with swirls of sweet and creamy caramel frosting with a hit of sugar and spice and everything nice! This black tea blend is laced with warm spices of ginger, cinnamon, and star anise along with creamy coconut for a sweet bite of caramel chai in a cuppa!

Ingredients: Black Tea, Caramel Flavour, Ginger*, Cinnamon*, Toasted Coconut*, Brown Sugar*, Star Anise* (* = certified organic)

Handcrafted in Toronto, Canada.

Steeping instructions: 2 tea spoons at 212F for 4-6 mins enjoy me with milk/as a latte!

About Dessert by Deb View company

Dessert by Deb is an organic tea company and lifestyle brand based in Toronto, Canada. At Dessert by Deb, it's tea time all the time because tea isn't just a drink - it's a way of life. From stationery and paper products, to kitchen accessories, to sweet and delicious organic dessert teas inspired by afternoon tea, patisseries, and baked goods, there are plenty of ways to bring the joy of teatime into your everyday life. Join the tea party!

So, uh, yesterday (apparently June 29) I was convinced that I had a solid 5 days left of June. At least 3. Clearly, I was very wrong. Not sure how this month managed to pass so quickly. (Oh yeah, two kids…)

Tried this tea today; the name sounds good but I remembered reading something in a note by Ros(?) that it contained star anise… and apparently I got a whole one in my cup. Unfortunately, I do not care for this spice, and as a result, did not much care for this tea. However, I might like it more either a) without an entire star anise in one cup, or b) as a latte. It wasn’t entirely objectionable, just too much of that particular licoricey flavour for me. Otherwise, it was a warmly spiced, somewhat creamy chai sort of flavour. Not sure I’d call it caramel, but maybe that flavour would emerge with less dominance from another.

Another Deb blend that I’m kind of on the fence about…

I wouldn’t normally get excited about this kind of Chai because I’ve had more than one caramel chai and they are usually underwhelming to me/not good enough to compensate for my general dislike of spiced blends. However, the buttercream inspiration intrigued me and seeing the star anise (a spice I do like_ made me feel better about the Chai part…

There’s this sort of savory dry leaf aroma that I found curious and a little off putting, but it doesn’t really translate to the taste so I’m gonna write that reservation off. Here’s the thing though, this really tastes heavily like anise and I enjoy that… but I feel like the mouth coating sweetness of the anise is supposed to be filling in for both the sweetness of the caramel and the buttercream because neither of those flavours were really present for me. Anise, as much as I do like it, is not the same as either caramel or buttercream. So there would need to be other distinct tasting notes in this blend for it to wholly win me over.

2022 Spring Tea Swap – Day 8
From Emilie!

My first tea from Dessert by Deb! The dry blend didn’t just smell like chai spices, it was spicy. It took me by surprise actually. After steeping, it was much more subdued. I was so excited to find that I could taste the frosting in the blend alongside the chai spices. It doesn’t taste like buttercream to me, more like the frosting on top of cinnamon rolls. So what is that, just powdered sugar and milk? Not the cream cheese kind. James was more specific in his assessment, saying that it tastes like french toast with powdered sugar and mint. Not sure where that came from, but he was adamant. So there you go! This one is definitely a favorite of the swap so far. Thank you, Emilie!

Flavors: Frosting, Spices, Spicy

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
gmathis

Oooh…the buttercream sounds like a lovely touch!

Shae

It was really nice! I don’t usually expect for those types of flavors to come through, but I was pleasantly surprised when it did.

Sipped this tea during a zoom meeting that required a little emotional support! This had a large chunk of star anise in it, so it was very chai-y and tasty. It does make me worry that other cups will be quite variable though.

It definitely has a sweet buttercream flavor. I can’t say I get much caramel specifically, so I would consider this more of a Buttercream Chai. Overall, it’s not bad, I just wish I got more caramel flavor