Monk's Blend

Grenadine, Vanilla, Floral
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 10 oz / 295 ml

Available from 1 seller.

• “Mmmm! I can’t believe the monks were allowed to drink this, it’s sinfully delicious! It’s a bit creamy from the vanilla, and definitely fruity, I really like it! Though I have to google “grenadine”...” Read full tasting note
  • “This comes far later than intended, I should have just put it off till morning but I meant to do it 90 minutes ago! I went to a yelp party tonight, it was ok, I always feel left out but eh. This...” Read full tasting note
  • “I hope my sense of taste has mostly returned. Thanks to Rachel Sincere for this sampling! STEEPED: Very fruity sweet smell. I think is pomegranate or grenadine. Dark brown colour. TASTE: Spike of...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’d say this tea is a nice, nondescript smooth fruity blend. Sometimes there’s just not much to say. I’ll drink it but I won’t get excited about it.” Read full tasting note

From English Tea Store

Black tea with vanilla and grenadine.

About English Tea Store View company

It’s a bit creamy from the vanilla, and definitely fruity, I really like it!

Though I have to google “grenadine” because surely this wasn’t made with that syrup that they used to put in my Shirley Temples when I was 8. No way were the monks allowed to drink that stuff.

This is something I will have to buy! All you who hate monks blend, feel free to send it my way! :)

Happy Saturday to me! Thank you Sil, for another winner!

(about 95 degrees for 3-4 min)

Josie Jade

This sounds yummy. I’ve always wondered what Monk’s Blends were, now I know!

TastyBrew

I have one I can send your way. WAY too fruity for me! It’s culinary teas monk’s blend. I haven’t even tried any. I smelled and it sealed it back up! You interested?

ohfancythat (whatshesaid)

Yeah for sure! Take a peek in my cupboard to see if there’s anything you’d like :)

Oh nice, I’m really glad you enjoyed this one then. I may have more to send your way from another company one of these days :)

ohfancythat (whatshesaid)

I really enjoyed it!! Thanks so much for sending it :)

This comes far later than intended, I should have just put it off till morning but I meant to do it 90 minutes ago! I went to a yelp party tonight, it was ok, I always feel left out but eh. This one guy there, he’s a yelper too, but he takes pictures not even as one of the official photographer and tbh he’s the best. LOOK AT THIS. http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/yelps-deco-dence-otps-first-yelper-party-marietta?select=eIHKdZKe6TLJwd4PhkjbZQ#jgwwq6EtoVO24tx2MVeutg
I have no idea how that is such a good picture because he was trying to get one and this little fly was getting all up in my face and I was trying to watch it to swat it away before that haha.

ok so I really really oversteeped this as a coldbrew. Like I hadn’t finished up my tons and tons of Sansa Stark tea so it kind of sat there a bit longer than necessary. It’s strong. it’s not very sweet. Though, I have never been much of a fan of this blend. There’s vanilla, but there’s really nothing else to it imo.

Well I used half the bag so at least there’s not much more.

JustJames

that’s an awesome picture! it’s nice that it’s candid too, as opposed to looking scripted.

TASTE: Spike of fruityness and slight bitterness over a base of black tea.
Sweetened (and cooled off) I can taste the vanilla and fruityness. Not as bitter.

COMMENTS: Maybe I’m still sick and tasting bitterness? But I could of oversteeped. Taste some good potential if I can get it brewed right!

Debbie

That pretty much sums up my opinion about this tea too.

Hmmm . . . could be that I oversteeped, but what I’m tasting is some fake grenadine flavour over a little tiny bit of vanilla and some not-great black tea. Will try another cup before I write it off completely, but yeah. Bleh.

This is my go-to tea, I drink it all the time and had to start buying big bags. It’s delicious, soothing, like wrapping up in a cozy blanket on a chilly night. Strong vanilla flavor with a hint of grenadine in taste and scent, and sometimes I add a spoon of honey. The health perks of the calendula are a nice bonus.

Flavors: Grenadine, Vanilla

5 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I’m drinking this before work today while the rain comes and goes. I haven’t been feeling well lately, so I’ve been mostly drinking various ripe puerh teas; however, I was in the mood to try something a little different this morning.

I must say that this isn’t the best tea, but it is definitely a treat to be had from the usual tea. I rarely drink flavored teas anymore, but there are moments where that’s all I need/want.

Notes: Slightly bitter, mildly fruity/floral on its own. You can slightly taste the grenadine. I added 1/2 tsp of raw sugar to the cup to hopefully cut a little bit of the bitterness from the tea; which worked well, I think. There are rare occasions that I’ll add a bit of sugar to the tea, but this is one of those teas that does much better with some…..

Flavors: Floral, Grenadine

Sipdown 82/393

I received this in a swap from KittyLovesTea.

I’ve had this tea several times from different companies, and I’m fairly sure it’s all from the same supplier. I even bought a big bag of it from a local tea shop when I lived back in Huddersfield, but I ended up giving it away to a friend because I just wasn’t a fan. I know a lot of people really like this, including my friend who I gave the bag to, but it just doesn’t play into my personal preferences. The black tea base is astringent enough that I have to add milk, which doesn’t seem to go with the fruitiness, but can’t be helped. Speaking of fruitiness, I wouldn’t be able to pick out pomegranate specifically, and it does have more of a generic fruitiness which reminds me of fruit punch. The vanilla here is the main reason I’m not a fan of this tea, though – it’s a pretty strong note which overpowers the fruit element and turns it into a hard boiled sweets sort of taste, which even for me became too sweet almost immediately. Fans of vanilla would probably really like this, but since I’m decidedly against vanilla in large quantities it just wasn’t for me.

Something else I’ll add: my first cup wasn’t actually too bad, but the more I drank it the more I wanted to never drink it again. Maybe it’s just because I had such a large quantity, but this is a tea I got sick of quickly.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Queued post, written April 23rd 2014

I’ve learned, relatively recently, that a ‘monks blend’ is often something that involves vanilla and grenadine. Well. Isn’t that really all the justification I need to nab this one out of the EU TTB round 2?

Vanilla and a relatively tart sort of fruit seems to generally be a winner for me. There is the fabled Late Summer blend from AC Perchs which has vanilla and cranberry, for example, and the very idea of vanilla and grenadine in tea (who am I kidding? In anything! ) holds a great appeal to me.

This one smells both tart and sweet. I can easily tell that there is vanilla in it and the grenadine is equally clear and easy to detect. I can’t pick up anything of the base, though, which is a shame.

Gosh, this stuff! This is very similar to the aforementioned late summer blend, actually! It’s just grenadine instead of cranberry, and to be entirely honest with you I don’t think there is that big a difference between those two things to begin with.

I’m tasting primarily pomegranate-y grenadine. The vanilla smooths everything out and adds sweetness before the pomegranate comes again in spades on the swallow. I should have liked to have a little more vanilla in this, but it’s very good already as it is. It’s weird with flavours, really. In almost anything flavoured I want to be able to taste the base as well as the flavour. Except vanilla. There is always room for more vanilla.

I was skimming other people’s posts about this one, and came across one written by Anna. She didn’t like this blend very much but she wrote that she thought it would probably be something for me. I laughed when I saw. How right you are, Anna. How right you are.

gmathis

A Monk’s Blend (Culinary Teas) was the first tea I ever bought a whole pound of. Loved it down to the last leaf.

Anna

SO FUNNY! I remember this!

I think I’m going to keep trying this tea. I’ve had it two days in a row and I can’t seem to get the steeping parameters correct. I tried this morning to steep it for 3 minutes, and it was a nice smooth black tea but not much fruity goodness. I added a bit of sugar and milk, and that definitely improved the taste! I was hoping to find in this tea a nice strong black tea that didn’t need sugar or milk, but I guess I should be happy to drink it like I drink all my other black teas. It certainly is a great tea for it’s price point!
I think I was spoiled by Short and Stout’s Monk’s Blend – it is much more syrupy sweet, which is a plus for me.