Cucumber Melon Green Tea

Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Iced 2 min, 0 sec 32 oz / 946 ml

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Green March! I purchased this tea blend from Shakespeare’s Corner Shoppe in San Diego, California, when I was there on a vacation last fall. It was their “featured flavor” the month that my friend...” Read full tasting note

From English Tea Store

he Cucumber Melon Green Tea from English Tea Store is a fit, thirst-quenching drink with exceptional flavor. Green tea is known to quench the thirst, similar to water. Add in the light vegetal notes of cucumber, and you are are primed for hydration. Cucumbers are reputed to have positive benefits.

The exceptional flavor comes from natural watermelon flavor for an exceptionally light cup of sweet and fresh melon notes with cucumber as the finish.

Cup Characteristics: Smooth, sweet fresh watermelon notes fill the cup. Light cucumber finish. Very nice tea, not heavy
Infusion: Tending bright green with yellow overtones
Ingredients: Green tea, Cucumber slices, Natural flavors
Caffeine/Antioxidant Level: Low/High
Grade(s): Grade #1 herb and fruit pieces
Manufacture Type(s): Blend of air, sun and machine dried herbs and fruits
Region: Kagoshima Prefecture / Yunnan Province
Ingredients From: Japan / China

Brewing Instructions

Hot Tea Brewing Method: Use freshly drawn water. When water is re-boiled, or stands for a while, it loses oxygen which prevents the full flavor of the tea being released. Warm the pot first. This helps the brewing process by maintaining the brewing temperature for longer so to extract more flavor from the tea. Be sure to use boiling water to make the tea. Water which is “off the boil” does not allow the tea to brew properly. Ideal brewing temperature is 100° C/212° F. Minimum brewing temperature is 90° C/194° F. Brew for 3-5 minutes. Shorter times will not reveal the full flavor and the quality of the tea. Longer brewing will result in a bitter tasting tea as Tannin will start to be extracted from the tea leaves (If you brew in a cup brew for a much shorter time, 1 – 2 minutes). Stir the tea in the pot once or twice while it is brewing.

Iced tea brewing method (Pitcher): (to make 1 liter/quart): Place 6 slightly heaping teaspoons of loose tea, 6 tea bags into a teapot or heat resistant pitcher. Using filtered or freshly drawn cold water, boil and pour 1.25 cups/315ml over the tea. Steep for 5 minutes. Quarter fill a serving pitcher with cold water. Pour the tea into your serving pitcher straining the tea or removing the tea bags. Add ice and top – up the pitcher with cold water. Garnish and sweeten to taste. A rule of thumb when preparing fresh brewed iced tea is to increase the strength of hot tea since it will be poured over ice and diluted with cold water. (Note: Some luxury quality teas may turn cloudy when poured over ice. This is a sign of luxury quality and nothing to worry about.)

Iced tea brewing method (Individual Serving): Place 1 slightly heaping teaspoon of loose tea, 1 tea bag into a teapot for each serving required. Using filtered or freshly drawn cold water, boil and pour 6 – 7oz/170 – 200ml per serving over the tea. Cover and let steep for 5 minutes. Add hot tea to a 12oz/375ml acrylic glass filled with ice, straining the tea or removing the bags. Not all of the tea will fit, allowing for approximately an additional 1/2 serving. Sweeten and/or add lemon to taste. A rule of thumb when preparing fresh brewed iced tea is to increase the strength of hot tea since it will be poured over ice and diluted. (Note: Some luxury quality teas may turn cloudy when poured over ice. This is a sign of luxury quality and nothing to worry about!)

About English Tea Store View company

1 Tasting Note

Green March! I purchased this tea blend from Shakespeare’s Corner Shoppe in San Diego, California, when I was there on a vacation last fall. It was their “featured flavor” the month that my friend and I visited for our high tea, so we were offered a cup of it while we were waiting for our teatime goodies to be served. I’ll be honest, this is totally not the kind of tea I’d be interested in off the name (I’m not a fan of raw cucumbers, though admittedly I don’t mind them cooked in things or flavoring water, and I also don’t care to eat raw watermelon based on texture, though I don’t have problems with the flavor of watermelon, though find most artificial watermelon flavorings, like that used in candies, pretty sketchy) but if someone is offering me free tea, unless it has a migraine trigger or bananas in it, I’m going to take that cup. And I was surprised how much I liked it! So I picked up a bag of it from the shop after the tea before we left.

This shop does have a few custom blends, but most of their teas are sourced, with this one being no exception. Since Shakespeare’s Corner Shoppe is a UK products novelty store as well as offering high tea services, I’m fairly certain they are using English Tea Store as the wholesaler for the majority of their blends. The ingredients and the look of the leaf is identical, and I can’t find this blend offered by other popular wholesalers like ITI and Metropolitan, so I’m pretty sure I’ve located their source.

I remember enjoying this tea as an appetizer during my high tea, but I find I don’t enjoy it quite so much as a warm cuppa now. It comes across with a very strong flavor that I find is just a bit too strong for me when I’m drinking a warm cup of green tea; I prefer more subtle fruity touches with a strong base of sweet, warm grassy notes when I’m drinking my green tea warm, and find that most flavored green teas are too overwhelming with their flavors, completely overpowering the tea base, and the heavy warm fruit flavors often just feel off to me somehow. This was no exception, and the flavor just felt strange and off-putting as a hot brew.

Iced, however, I really enjoy the flavor of this tea! This may be one of my favorite iced teas. There is definitely a certain refreshing touch of cucumber here, like quenching cucumber water, like I really enjoy. The watermelon flavoring doesn’t really taste like watermelon to me; rather, it is more like the Japanese “melon” flavor, something that comes across a bit like a cross between cantalope and honeydew. It’s very naturally sweet, and doesn’t require any sweetener; just chill and drink! (Though, I imagine adding some fresh sliced cucumber would probably make a lovely addition to an iced pitcher of this!)

This is one that I’d just forego warm and go straight to the iced tea pitcher.

Flavors: Cantaloupe, Cucumber, Honeydew, Melon, Sweet