Autumn Leaf Pile, Grain, Hay, Oats, Smooth, Sweet, Wood, Malt
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by derk

From Fairhope Tea Plantation

Product description not available yet.

About Fairhope Tea Plantation View company

Here is another US tea that was featured in the library presentation, and it was kindly donated by Derk! (Thank you so much, Derk!)

This tea has a strong hay-like aroma, and that is the main flavor note I get, as well. I also taste a grain note (oats, perhaps?), with a touch of honey sweetness and a dash of woodiness and autumn leaves. This is a light and smooth black tea, which I think is what surprised the attendees at the library presentation the most, who are used to black teas being strong and astringent breakfast fare. The taste somehow makes me think of a cross between a white tea and a darjeeling.

I plan to try this as a cold brew at some point during this unending 90F+ weather. I think it’ll be very sweet, clean, and refreshing!

Thanks again for sharing, Derk!

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Grain, Hay, Oats, Smooth, Sweet, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 350 ML

You are very welcome :)

I can’t believe I haven’t left a note for this yet. This was a gift from the delightful derk. Many thanks, derk!

I concur with gmathis and would have to say that this tea really does taste like a copper kettle in liquid form. It is sweet, thin bodied, not bitter, not astringent, a little woody, but I didn’t get malty as Martin did. Perhaps it was the way I steeped.

It reminds me a bit of an autumnal Darjeeling and I notice it has stems in like a Taiwanese tea.

I agree with gmathis that I don’t think this tea would be a candidate for milk, but sweet tea? I think it will be. I have a carafe chilling now.

gmathis

Reminds me that I have a little bit left that needs to be used!

TASTING NOTE 1200

Oh well. Feeling slightly better than during the weekend, but it is still not top-notch. And moreover today job tasks were hard, stressful and tiring.

So, decided for a proper and hopefully enjoyable cup of tea. In my Paper & Tea Advent Calendar I have Sweet Lullaby which I am keeping for the evening.

So, this, Alabama grown tea. I used 4 grams and steeped for more than 5 minutes, because 4 seemed too short for me.

I got a cup of nice and smooth tea, surprinsingly malty for me, with sweet wood flavours and as gmathis noticed, sweet note on the tip of the tongue.

Somehow, and I guess it is rather the “easyness” to brew, it reminds me Guria Likhauri. It’s simple, but highly enjoyable tea. Great daily drinker in my opinion. Thank you a lot derk.

Flavors: Malt, Smooth, Sweet, Wood

195 °F / 90 °C 5 min, 0 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
derk

Glad it hit the spot today.

Evol Ving Ness

Am I the only one who is surprised tea grows in Alabama? Or is this common knowledge?

derk

This summer, I flew home with seedlings pulled from the Alabama ground. With any luck and a good conversation with Mother Earth and the seeds I’ve started, there will be a tea farm in California within the next ten years ;) Though my efforts may be futile if the weather patterns grow any more dire.

Evol Ving Ness

Wow, keep us posted. That would be happy news if they were to take and thrive.

derk

Fairhope Tea Plantation was a treat to visit! When I visited, Donnie, the owner said he only sold mail order when COVID was in full swing. Otherwise, I think he pretty much (minus maybe some bigger companies using his tea in blends) sells from his front door. Not exactly easily accessible, so the farm is not well publicized.

Martin Bednář

Better not well publicized and great tea and helpful, than big market share tea companies with not so good teas.

Lexie Aleah

I haven’t gotten a chance to properly review it yet but Derk kindly sent me some of this one to try as well and I really liked it! It was delicious and I would agree with it being a good daily drinker.

Derk, was this one of your stops when you traveled east? I had no idea there was a plantation in Alabama. For those of you who are curious: https://fairhopeteaplantation.com/plantation-history/

I’ll try to do this initial review justice, then. Derk shared some 2021 leaves with me—the big, fresh, fluffy kind that are hard to balance on a spoon. At a four minute Monday-morning steep, it wasn’t especially strong, so I let it go past five minutes.

The result was very light and clean with just a little hint of sweetness on the tip of your tongue. Grandma Schubert had an old copper teakettle—the real thing that had developed patina and personality over the decades, and this is its liquid version. I think milk would overpower it; it was very drinkable on its own. I can envision this as a base for good ol’ Alabama sweettea (when I’m in Tennessee, I hear that said as one word) with simple syrup and lemon.

ashmanra

I had this for breakfast today! Also a gift from derk!

gmathis

Similar verdict?

derk

I haven’t tried this yet, hoping to see other people’s impressions. When me and my friend were served tea by Donnie at the farm, he said he mixes his black and green teas for his own drinking.

ashmanra

I did have a similar experience! I didn’t look it up first as you did and was convinced I was drinking a nice darjeeling at first.