February 2019 Mae Hong Son Maocha

Pu-erh Tea
Floral, Hay, Sweet, Vegetal, Green, Salty, Seaweed
Edit tea info Last updated by Martin Bednář
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 3 oz / 85 ml

• “Finally! The storms and rain comes, so finally, temperatures drop. It is about 25°C, cloudy, finally breatable air :D. Anyway, I have decided for this tea (now gone, well only 2 kg batch was made,...” Read full tasting note

From Farmer Leaf

Ancient tea gardens of Mae Hong and Mai Lai village
Picked and processed on Ferburary 19th 2019
First batch coming from the Bai Cha Tai factory
Available in loose leaf Mao Cha 20g samples only

Here is the first batch to come out of the factory we helped establish in Northern Thailand. It is located in Pang Mapha area, at the Northernmost tip of Mae Hong Son Province, right at the border with Burma.

Leaves were collected in two villages: Mai Lai and Mai Hong, two villages with a few ancient tea gardens but no recent history of commercial tea making. While the farmers pick and do a basic processing for their own consumption, the tea is rarely traded outside the villages. Both villages are located at an altitude of about 1100m.

The newly established factory will be run by Sullawan and Martin, a Thai-German couple who are well acquainted to the area. They are in charge of collecting the fresh leaves and this process was not easy in February for three reasons:

1-Few tea trees were harvestable at this time because most of them are not pruned, the leaves are not sprouting or are unreachable.

2- The farmers were busy in the fields harvesting black beans. Since they do not typically cultivate the tea gardens, they use their time to other agricultural matters at this time.

3- A Buddhist festival was ongoing on the next day and many people were busy organizing it.

We brought back 2kg of maocha with us and make it available right off the wok.

We processed it Pu-erh style: withering, wok frying, hand rolling and sun-drying.

At the time of writing, the tea has a high pitched fragrance reminding of some lowly oxidized wulongs (baozhong, gao shan cha, tie guan yin…). A thin mouthfeel, the tea soup is light in the mouth. Some sweetness is present, not much Huigan but a comforting mild Qi and a clean aftertaste. Bitterness and astringency comes out after a few infusions, if you don’t mind it, it is a fairly long brewing tea.

However, this tea will change along the weeks and months after its production, therefore you should take this description with a pinch of salt and try it by yourself.

About Farmer Leaf View company

Anyway, I have decided for this tea (now gone, well only 2 kg batch was made, so I unexpect seeing other tasting notes)

As I have just 20 g of it, I decided to make it different way than today. Only 3 grams for my 85 gaiwan. Boiling water used (duh, maybe lower temperature would be better).

I make about 10 seconds (shorter) rinse, burnt my fingers a bit, preheated gaiwan preheated cup.

It gets really vegetal notes with little smell of floral notes. But it is not DF floral, like explosion of flowers, rather hidden in vegetals.

Pours light green, rather white. Clear naturally. In taste it is full bodied, with nice mouthfeel and bit vegetal too. It reminds me bit of dancong oolong (I did not have much oolongs in my life yet). Those notes were for first steep, about 10 seconds long (only!).

For second steep I doubled the steep time. Pours more distinctive colour, but still very light.
There is some sweetness. Hidden in vegetal taste. Weird, unique, but tasty. Long mouthfeel.

Added another 10 seconds for third steep. (I will do it all the time this session)
Floral notes are way more present. It is present in aroma way more too. Refreshing sweetness.

40 seconds.
It is nicely fragant for sure. Light tea. Refreshing. Floral. Just very nice, you know!

50 seconds
I think it is slowly gone. Lost bit of flavour.

60 seconds
it means 6th steep. Last one. Have to do things, then going for summerjob. Definitely gone. It is not so floral as it was earlier.

Definitely good tea to try, maybe I will age it a bit and we will see how it develops.

Flavors: Floral, Hay, Sweet, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 85 ML
ashmanra

We celebrated rain last night, too! Unfortunately, it did not cool down. Today’s high will be 38C.