Chai Black

Caramel, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Cloves
Edit tea info Last updated by ifjuly

1 Tasting Note View all

• “My boyfriend graciously brought this all the way from Paris a few months ago but I sadly never wrote about it until now. You know me, I love chai. It’s an unhealthy obsession, so I was curious...” Read full tasting note

From Fauchon

Lay a table in the orchard. Shangrila tea in the country simply can’t be refused.

An excellent balance between the flavorful notes of bergamot and citrus fruits.

FAUCHON invites you to savor this blend of 7 spices: star anise, cardamom, cloves, ginger, cinnamon bark, cardamom seeds and pepper.

About Fauchon View company

1 Tasting Note

My boyfriend graciously brought this all the way from Paris a few months ago but I sadly never wrote about it until now. You know me, I love chai. It’s an unhealthy obsession, so I was curious about how Fauchon does things in the world of chai.

The dry leaf is mostly black tea leaves with a few cardamom pods here and there, along with cinnamon and ginger pieces, but I’m barely seeing any star anise or clove (my two favourite spices too, mind you) even though there is supposed to be a healthy mix of both i here.

In terms of flavour, it’s mostly ginger and cinnamon. I ought to crack open the cardamom pods in order to unleash their flavour, or else it seems to be a bit of a waste. There is apparently vanilla in here but I’m barely getting it. With milk, this tastes like a lot of chai blends I’ve tasted in Indian restaurants. So, better than average, but not amazing.

Next time, I’ll crack open the cardamom pods and dig through the pouch to see if I can find any cloves or star anise. If I can’t find any, maybe it’s time I make a trip to the bulk section of the nearby grocery store and fetch some whole spices to add to this.