Royal Blend

Fruity, Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Astringent, Heavy
Edit tea info Last updated by joriba
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 5 g 12 oz / 359 ml

• “Eeeeew, what did I do wrong today? I steeped for three min, and last time I oversteeped but it was surprisingly good. I doubt that is why, as this tasted stale and dusty, with a funky aftertaste....” Read full tasting note
  • “Woke up early to go for a run (yes, on a Saturday. I know), and had a strong cup of this brewed with milk-and-sugar to give me a good morning kick. It’s an OK tea. For the price, I was expecting...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea is ok. It’s not great. It’s strong and other than that I can’t pick much else up. It’s better with sugar. It sorta needs sugar. Yikes. It’s a Monday sorta tea. You know what I did...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks to Sil for this sample! This tea is heavy on the Assam, so I had to add milk and Truvia to calm things down a bit. It’s much more drinkable this way. Five minutes later and I can feel the...” Read full tasting note

From Fortnum & Mason

First blended for King Edward VII in the summer of 1902, Royal Blend blends Assam with a touch of Ceylon for a smooth, almost honey-like flavour. It can be drunk all day, with milk, producing the perfect traditional cup of tea.

About Fortnum & Mason View company

…very strong flavors. I guess the explanation of it’s profound taste lays within the fact that King Edward VII was a heavy smoker. Anyways, I do like it on my palate and love the awakening effect. I do recomment to try this tea with a slice of lemon. That transforms this blend into a refreshing summer tea. The Assam will still be able to push through nicely.

Reserving judgement on this tea until I give it another go. Had it with breakfast with milk and sugar. Maybe with honey it’ll be better.

An old standby, it is always a good, solid choice, but never an exciting one.

An enjoyable blend for the morning cup. I drank it without milk. It was pungent and strong. No distinctive flavor that jumps out or lingers. A good choice if you want a standard English style black tea that is of sufficient quality to drink without milk.

This is my current favorite tea-with-milk staple. It’s bright and robust with no bitterness. We bought a decorative tin of it with the Jubliee Tea decorative tin online from F&M and I’m re-ordering this one in bulk and trying some of their other teas.

A good cup of tea. Nothing splashy or fancy.

Traditional tea without any wow factor at all

Very smooth but good with milk and sugar

Picked several of this brand of tea up at Williams Sonoma the other day, They sell high end products so I suspected the teas they sell would be good. This tea is good but it is very strong. I put sugar into black teas so I am drinking this with a small amount of sugar. I think without the sugar it would be too strong for my tastes. It’s not so strong as to need milk in my opinion although as this is a British style blend I suspect it is made with mild and sugar in mind. I am not sure if Fortnum and Mason is an American company or a British company but they are an old brand. This tea has a bit of a fruity note and I do like it. I don’t necessarily know that I would buy it again.

I steeped this tea once in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for 3 minutes.

Flavors: Fruity

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I picked a tin of this up for my mom as a birthday gift while visiting my now-fiancé in London a couple of years ago. It’s certainly a bold blend, heavy on the Assam. It’s quite malty, nothing too complex. It’s a fairly standard breakfast blend, and though I’m enjoying it it’s probably not one I’ll restock since it’s a little on the pricey side. Still, it makes for a satisfying cup first thing in the morning.