Green Tea
Green Tea, Popped Rice
Rice, Toasted Rice, Toasty, Vegetal, Butter, Chestnut, Grass, Hay, Mineral, Seaweed, Soybean, Spinach, Straw, Chicken Soup, Nuts, Salt, Popcorn, Green, Sweet, Autumn Leaf Pile
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Kelly

From Harney & Sons

A different sort of Japanese tea that many find intriguing. While the green leaves are being dried, rice kernels are added. The kernels get crispy and some burst open. The genmaicha has a unique appearance and a pleasant roasted flavor. GenMaiCha is a creative use of Bancha tea and an eloquent unification of the two crops central to Japanese culture: tea and rice. The light-bodied roasted tea is a blend of genmai, or unpolished brown rice, and cha, or Bancha tea. For centuries, the two commodities have been staples of the Japanese diet. In the 1920s, a clever Kyoto tea merchant combined the two to make this blend. Once considered a cheap peasant beverage, Genmaicha has recently come into vogue among Japanese urban elite and in the United States as a health drink.

The tea comes in many grades and styles, but always consists of Bancha and roasted rice. The roasted flavors of the two components complement each other: the lemony Bancha helps sweeten the rice, and the nutty rice helps mellow out the often grassy tea.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

I do like this tea.
It is a pretty straight forward Genmaicha.
Smells of rice cakes and popcorn.
In fact there is actual popcorn in the tea.
But, that is where I have some small issues, it is almost like they are trying a bit too hard to achieve the flavor.
The rice pieces and popcorn almost outnumber the green tea leaves.
Which brings me to the leaves itself, not sure if it is just my tin, but when I first opened the tin, some of the leaves were crushed almost to a powder (like someone thought they were making Matcha iri Genmaicha but then realized halfway through their mistake)
As I use more in the tin, the leaves are whole, so I think it must have been a fluke thing.
Overall, it is a good price and it does have that yummy nutty toasted taste that we all love about Genmaicha.
I love drinking this tea in the mid-afternoon when I have the urge to have a snack, it fills that craving nicely.

1904 tasting notes

I’ve noticed that this tea lacks the malty, almost creamy, chewy quality I’ve noticed in other genmaichas.

I have had genmaicha from three different retailers now. I find Harney & Sons to have a more mellow and smooth version than others I have tasted. The toastiness is there, but it blends well with the green tea- I find both the vegetal flavor of the tea and the roastiness of the rice to be well balanced. It’s kind of nice to see popped rice in the mix- makes this a unique tea.

180 °F / 82 °C

Years ago I purchased Yamamotoyama’s Genmai Cha from Stash Tea and I did not like it. It was horrible-I couldn’t drink it and returned it. It is the only tea I have ever returned to a company, & looking back on it I wish I would have kept it. I also wish I would have brewed it properly. I used boiling water…ssttrriiiikkke one! I steeped it at LEAST 3 minutes…..ssssttttrriiiike two!! I probably used too much tea and failed to experiment with different water temps and steep times…..sssttttrrriiikkkeee three!!! I was so bush league back then-a mere amateur.

Finally I bought this sample from Harney & Sons and had a completely different experience. Enter glass tea press and Genmaicha tea. Open packet, sssnnniiifff deeply, and enjoy the deep, nutty aroma. Steep parameters below are for first infusion, filled with 8 oz filtered water. What a nice medium deep, yellow liqueur-perhaps not as clear as that of the Buckwheat tea. Nutty aroma very present in the wet leaves as well as the cup, lingering on the palate. The second cup-approx. 195* for 1:15- was the strongest (not bitter), very nutty with a natural sweetness. They don’t call this tea popcorn tea for nothing, and I find that to be accurate. My last steep at 205* for 2 minutes was weaker, but still exhibited good nutty sweet characteristics.

I thoroughly enjoyed this tea, but the second cup was almost too nutty for me….and I’m CRAZY! :)) I would drink this occasionally, perhaps with a meal, and try lower temps and steep times. I wish I had more Genmai Cha….oh wait…I DO! Anna sent me a sample. Wish granted! :))

Until we Genmai Cha Cha Cha again.

Cupped Mon/Tue, Oct 24-25, 2011. Reviewed Thu, Nov 17, 2011.

This tea is a bit of an acquired taste. Being used to sweet, fruity teas, I was at first put off by the grassy/toasty flavor of this tea (I’m also fairly new to the tea world, so forgive me). I decided to give it a few more chances, and I’ve come to like it. Green tea is tricky to brew, though, so I’m still having trouble getting a tea that is not overbrewed or overly grassy. When I do manage to get it right, it’s a light tea with a distinct flavor of toasted rice that is lovely with two teaspoons of honey.

I love this stuff. Delicious harmony between grassy, astringent green tea and roasted/toasted rice flavor.

TASTY!!! This is a great way to introduce black tea people to green tea (source: I am a black tea person). I figured it’s time to add some green tea to my collection, mostly black and white tea, even though I don’t prefer the grassy, astringent taste most green teas generally have.

The leaves give off a distinct smell of toasted rice cakes, with a very very distinct hint of the vegetal scent of green tea. Steeping the blend intensifies these scents even further, and the liquor is bright yellowish-green. I let it steep for slightly over two minutes at 175-180 F water.

Like the leaves, the liquid gives off a really strong roasted rice cake smell, which is delicious. That roasty taste is pretty dominant in the tea, and you really have to pay attention to get the vegetal taste of the batcha. Though the rice taste is pretty strong, it’s not quite overpowering and I think provides a nice sweet balance to the batcha. There’s only a very mild astringency, which I actually find refreshing.

This is my first experience with a genmaicha tea, and it is certainly memorable. I ordered a sample from Harney out of curiousity, and am just now getting to opening it four months later. The blend seems to be equal parts green tea leaves and a rice & popcorn mixture. The popcorn smell is very strong, particularly when the tea is steeping, and it is very evident in the taste as well.

This green is nice in that it’s not as grassy/vegetal as other greens (sencha, for instance) nor is it drying. It’s slightly creamy, slightly vegetal, and very popcorn-y. I am not super into it, but I could see being in the mood for it again at some point. I will probably do a shorter steep next time, too, to see if I like it better that way. I steep the hell out of black tea, so I tend to oversteep greens even though it’s such a short time that it doesn’t feel like they could be possibly be oversteeped.

I have been making a concerted effort to drink more green tea for the past couple of days. I have been so wrapped up in black teas and oolongs lately that I have been seriously neglecting all of the green teas I have acquired over the last several months. After reviewing the Sencha from Touch Organic last night, I was having trouble sleeping (too much caffeine earlier in the day), and after resigning myself to not getting much sleep, decided to stay up and read. Oddly, I started craving genmaicha and realized I still had some of this left, so I had some. This morning I then discovered that I had never previously reviewed this tea. Now I’m taking care of that.

I prepared this tea using a three step Western infusion process. I started off by steeping 1 teaspoon of the loose tea and rice mix in approximately 8 ounces of 160 F water for 1 minute 30 seconds. The recommended water temperature seemed a bit low to me, but I decided to roll with it anyway. I followed this initial infusion up with a 45 second and a 1 minute 30 second infusion.

Prior to infusion, I picked up lovely aromas of toasted rice, grass, hay, and nuts. Even with my sinuses draining, these aromas came through loud and clear. After infusion, the aromas described above intensified and were joined by a slight seaweed scent. In the mouth, mild, smooth notes of butter, soybean, spinach, hay, straw, grass, and seaweed balanced much more pronounced notes of chestnut and toasted rice. The second infusion was nuttier and grainier on the nose and in the mouth. It also offered a touch of minerals on the back of the throat. The final infusion was subtly grassy, vegetal, and briny, offering a mild toasted rice note under lingering aromas and flavors of grass, hay, spinach, minerals, and seaweed.

I don’t really get the lowish rating for this tea here on Steepster. This genmaicha offered a lovely toasted rice character that was authentic and adequately balanced by the lighter, grassier bancha. While I do not drink a ton of genmaicha, I have encountered far worse. For the money, I found this one to be very good. I would recommend that anyone looking to get into this type of tea or looking for a daily drinker start here.

Flavors: Butter, Chestnut, Grass, Hay, Mineral, Seaweed, Soybean, Spinach, Straw, Toasted Rice

I saw this at the store and wanted to buy some Japanese green tea to hold me over until I buy more gyokuro. The instructions call for a 3 minute steep, but I was a little skeptical, since I usually find that 1.5-2 minutes is sufficient for green teas. However, my first steep of 1.5 minutes was definitely on the weak side. I hit the target on the second steep…2.5 minutes, just like you guys recommend…never doubt Steepster. :P
The popcorn/roasted brown rice flavor dominates, but there’s a good grassy flavor that isn’t masked too much by the roasted brown rice. This is my fourth genmaicha, and it probably ranks as the best in the group.