Holiday Tea

Black Fruit Blend
Almond, Black Tea, Cinnamon, Clove, Orange Pieces, Safflower Petals, Vanilla
Almond, Clove, Spicy, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Orange, Citrus, Spices, Drying, Earth, Smooth, Chocolate
Loose Leaf, Sachet, Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Teatotaler

• “This is my first venture with Harney & Sons! I got a buy-one-get-one coupon for the H&S tins at Barnes & Noble, so after taking myself to the movies today, I made a little stop on the...” Read full tasting note
  • “I swear, I am going to drink a cup of this every day until I run out. That’s saying something, too, since I only am letting myself have one fully caffeinated cup of black tea per day until this...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is very tasty this “morning”. I slept through my alarm, and am still exhausted. Pain takes a lot of energy to deal with! So now I’m off to the clinic to see my x-ray results, then to work for...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown!! Last time I had this tea, I could not taste it properly as I drank it immediately following eating a dinner with a fair bit of spices. However, I thought I tasted a similar flavor to...” Read full tasting note

From Harney & Sons

Our Holiday Tea is a black tea spiced with citrus, almond, clove and cinnamon. Delicious hot or iced. Wonderful for a holiday table, a cold winter morning, or any time you crave a holiday-inspired brew.

About Harney & Sons View company

I wanted to try something different with this last purchase of Harney & Sons. I was in the mood for a chai tea, but I figured that a chai tea wasn’t what I really wanted. Luckily, the Holiday Tea was on sale. I read the list of flavors, and thought, “Well, I like clove, vanilla, and almond.” So, I bought a 4 oz tin.

I must say, the aroma is very Christmasy. Just the smell reminded me of the times when my family would visit my great aunts in Tennessee over Thanksgiving breaks. My one aunt loved making hard tack. She especially loved clove hard tack.

The aroma took me back to those times. I closed my eyes while smelling this tea, and I just pictured my Aunt Gerry cracking the hard tack candy and giving me a piece. I literally had tears build up in my eyes while smelling this tea. Nobody can say that the smell of tea made them cry!

Anyway, I love the flavor. It’s rich, spicy, Christmasy, and it has a nice clove kick. I had my first cup with the tea on its own, and it’s a solid tea. The second cup, I added sugar, which was still good. The third, I added cream, but it wasn’t necessary; the cream overpowered the tea. All in all, I think I’ll buy more while there’s still a chance. It’s good to have a lot of a great tea when it’s unavailable throughout the majority of the year.

Flavors: Almond, Clove, Spicy, Vanilla

azurephoenix

Oooh! I like found I like a nice clovey cup…I’ll have to get a bit of this! :)

S.G. Sanders

I prefer a clove tea over cinnamon sometimes! However, the Holiday Tea is on sale right now for $6.95/4 oz. I’d give it a try, but I kind of regret passing the 8 oz tin for $10.95.

I was so captivated by the delightful aroma of my first cup that it had cooled to merely warm by the time I finally took a sip.

As others have said, the taste paled in comparison to the scent. The sweet, spiced, and bright notes seemingly disappeared. Yes, the spice is still there, but in a form that my tastebuds experienced as almost bitter. Maybe I taste a hint of orange, or maybe I am reaching. The sweetness in the aroma, perhaps a combination of the almond and orange, is eluding me.

After steeps at 4 and 5 min, I brewed one more cup to try it with sweetener (simple syrup, in this case). Big improvement: the addition quieted the bitter-ish notes and brought forward the bright orange flavor in a nice balance with the sweetness. Quite drinkable now. It is my biased belief that a tea like this should be enjoyable straight, but that said, I haven’t loved chai straight either.

The aroma, though: just wonderful.

Their best cinnamon related tea yet. I’ve tried their ultimate cinnamon tea but it was too water taste with red hot candies for me. Their chai was okay but not the best chai. This Holiday tea was a great, smooth, even black coated with a nice dusting of cinnamon – also pretty to look at and great smell. I ordered a sampler pack so not much left, but will have to keep in mind when the holidays come up again.

Flavors: Cinnamon

I received a tin of sachets of this tea for Christmas. I’m pretty happy I did.

The two dominant flavors are citrus and cinnamon. There is a stronger cinnamon aftertaste that feels like it doesn’t belong, but it’s not particular unwelcome either. The tea reminds me of Constant Comment overall, if that’s helpful.

In short, not the best spiced tea I’ve ever had and I’m not sure I’d buy it for myself, but I wouldn’t be sad to see it under the tree again.

Wow, this stuff is SPICY! I smell the orange, but the flavor is mainly lots of cinnamon and clove that warms up my whole mouth and leaves a tingly aftertaste. Black, I’m finding it a bit too spicy for my tastes, but I’m guessing it would make a nice chai latte! Thanks for the sample, Kyla!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Orange

This was in my mug constantly throughout December…
I found that I liked it best with a tiny bit of sugar and a splash of milk, although it’s great without.
To me, it tastes like the absolute best version of Bigelow’s ‘constant comment’ that one could ever possibly have… Growing up, that was my favourite tea, so finding something similar, but ever so much better, was really fun.

Flavors: Citrus, Clove, Spices

200 °F / 93 °C 5 min, 0 sec 0 OZ / 0 ML

This tea came from my Secret Santa. :)

Smells like a Christmas store. Tastes like one too. It’s like holiday potpourri, but not floral. Must be the clove? I also taste a little citrus. It’s not bad, but not one I would restock.

Sipdown (119)!

Thanks Marzipan for the holiday package; I’ve been slowly plucking away at the teas in it. Conversely, I finished the tasty treats in no time at all. The Stroopwaffles were especially good! I honestly meant to share one with Tre, but I swear before I could even blink I’d gobbled them all.

I used both of the tea sachets you sent me in a latte; I was craving milk pretty badly and this was the first tea I pulled from the sample drawer that seemed like it would go reasonably well with milk. I knew one sachet wouldn’t be enough to flavour a 12 oz. mug of straight milk though, so I used both.

Sadly I really didn’t love this one; it was very heavy on the clove flavour which, though I’d normally be ok with it since I like cloves, didn’t work with that much milk. And secondly, there was a weird conflicting dryness to the flavour which was likely from an excess of nut or cinnamon in the blend. I guess there’s also supposed to be orange in this as well but there was no evidence flavour wise to support that claim. Maybe that’s for the better overall though; I can’t see how orange would have cooperated with everything else I experienced.

Sorry Marz; I certainly appreciate getting to try this one but didn’t work for me though.

Flavors: Clove, Drying

Cameron B.

Mmmmmm I agree on the strropwafel… <3

Anlina

Oh god, I was just thinking about stroopwafels yesterday and trying to figure out how I could make them at home.

Last one from teafiend Marzipan! To be honest, I’ve gotten a little burnt out on these “holiday spice” type blends. They usually sound amazing and list flavors like orange or almond, but then they end up just tasting like cinnamon or clove. We’ll see if that’s the case here! I have the sachet version, and inside I can see small black tea leaves and tiny red flower petals. Dry scent is mostly just cinnamon.

The steeped tea also has strong cinnamon/clove notes, but I can also smell a bit of orange and perhaps some almond. Hmm, I mostly taste clove. The base tea is slightly earthy and musty, and I can taste perhaps a little bit of orange, but otherwise it’s mostly clove. Maybe a little bit of cinnamon too, but certainly no almond. Oh well. :P

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Earth, Orange, Smooth