Organic Assam

Assam Black Tea
Caramel, Cocoa, Cream, Leather, Malt, Molasses, Roasted nuts, Toast, Toffee, Burnt Sugar, Honey, Smooth, Sweet, Vanilla, Astringent, Dried Fruit, Raisins, Loam, Peat Moss
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Teatotaler

4 Images

• “Just a short note… I am glad to have this one back in stock after finding it at the Berkeley Bowl yesterday, they have a few H&S blends in tins. This morning I am drinking it with soymilk...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m sitting down to a breakfast consisting of this tea and, wait for it, pumpkin pancakes! Made from fresh pumpkin and loaded with spices. So tasty. This is a bold cup. It’s quite brisk, but not...” Read full tasting note
  • “Ok so I’m up at 115 teas which is good because my number is decreasing, but the average number of oz per tea is going up. :( #whoops Essentially I have more tea then I did before. That 7 oz tin of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Today I must tend to my parents dog, who needs walking, and then I am going to the half off thrift store sales. Time to wake up! Goodbye, Assam. You’re pretty good. I may very well get you again,...” Read full tasting note

From Harney & Sons

Our Organic Assam is a rich, full leaf, medium bodied black tea. It has a slightly lighter liquor, with sweet honey flavor.

About Harney & Sons View company

I got a bag of this as a sample with my last order and decided to make this my morning tea today. First, I snipped open the little pyramid bag and dumped the tea into my metal strainer because I just learned those bags are made of nylon and the though of dumping plastic into very hot water I would be drinking squicked me out.

I’m not as big of a fan of strong black teas as I used to be, but this is still a very nice tea. It’s definitely stronger than I’m used to these days, after switching to greens and oolongs, but it was exactly what I needed after one too many nights of staying up too late playing computer games (DARN YOU STEAM SUMMER SALE), and then being woken up too early by hungry felines.

This tea should get a few cups out of one spoonful.

I was expecting this to be quite sharp, but it’s very smooth and and a little bit sweet. I’m going to have trouble picking my default black now that it’s entered the fray!

I let this Harney sample sit for weeks because it’s a rare desire for a single cup of tea. Low or no-caff options, sure, but but caffeinated black tea.

Well worth the wait, this Assam was rich and flavorful. Deliciously malty with an edge of honey. I’m quickly becoming a fan of Assam tea, and this well-balanced variant is just right for any time of the day.

ashmanra

I am glad you like it! I haven’t tried this one. The organic English Breakfast is just dreadful to me. It is probably the only Harney Tea I dislike, other than part of the decaf line. I do like the one called just Decaffeinated. I like decaf Midsummers Peach and other flavored ones, but some of the decaf black teas tasted washed out to me.

Got a sample of this in my last H&S order. I’m enjoying it much more than I expected, because I usually don’t find assam all that appealing. It’s very smooth and has a slight cocoa note.

Unfortunately H&S sent me DECAF tea though instead of regular, so THAT has to be sorted out. No way can I drink decaf.

I had a sample sachet tea bag of this Organic Assam. It has a pleasant aroma and an earthy taste. It is a good cup of tea if you are looking for an Assam.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML

Until last night, I had forgotten just how many samples of tea from Harney & Sons I had lying around the house. I knew that I had several, I just didn’t realize how many. I also somehow acquired more samples of this tea than any other. I made it my breakfast tea this morning.

I brewed this tea in sachet form. Again, I’m guessing that there was about one teaspoon of tea in there. I brewed this tea for 5 minutes in 8 ounces of 212 F water. I did not attempt additional infusions.

After infusion, the liquor showed a relatively dark amber in the cup. It was neither as dark nor as murky as some Assam teas I have tried in the past. On the nose, I picked up pleasant aromas of cream, roasted nuts, malt, leather, caramel, toffee, and molasses. In the mouth, I noted delicate notes of cream, roasted nuts, toast, leather, caramel, toffee, molasses, malt, and cocoa. The finish seemed to emphasize toast, cream, roasted nut, and caramel notes, though I also noted a slight astringency that became pronounced on the back of the throat.

I’m kind of surprised, but I really liked this Assam more than expected. It is a very basic tea, but it is also not nearly as harsh as some of the other Assam teas I have tried. For me, Assam is one of those things that I really enjoy, but I have to be in the mood for it. Sometimes it’s a little sharp and sometimes it’s a little bland. This tea falls between those two extremes. I found it very approachable.

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Cream, Leather, Malt, Molasses, Roasted nuts, Toast, Toffee

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Definitely a darker note to this tea. A little malty or earthy. Good for starting the day off with a mild kick.

Tea of the morning, I didn’t get to make anything before I left the house this morning. Thankfully I had this on hand at work. Not much to say about it. It’s good and it certainly wakes me up. But it was hard to place any distinct flavors in this one.

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

It’s a rainy weekend here in the Old Dominion. Rainy weekends call for cozy teas, and man oh man this is one cozy tea! I’m watching an old Jimmy Stewart movie on Turner Classics and sipping this. It’s very smooth with lots of natural sweetness. Lovely notes of caramel, honey and burnt sugar. Nice and malty. No rough edges whatsoever. I love that it’s organic too!

Flavors: Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Honey, Malt, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
mrmopar

We are getting the same around Blacksburg today as well. Good tea drinking weather though. Agree as TCM rocks and so does AMC.

Teatotaler

I love AMC too. In fact, I’m watching Forrest Gump on AMC right now. You just can’t beat watching classic movies and drinking comfort teas on a rainy weekend. Here in Richmond, we’re in for heavy rain at times through Sunday night and more rain Monday. I’m loving it!

eastkyteaguy

It’s been cool and wet just west of the Virginia state line today. I wish I could have stayed home watching Jimmy Stewart films, but I’ve been out on a crisis call. Just out of curiosity, which movie was it?

Teatotaler

More accurately, it was a Hitchcock film. It was Jimmy Stewart in the Hitchcock classic Rear Window by way of TCM online. Love Hitchcock! Love Jimmy Stewart! A double treat for me today.

eastkyteaguy

Great film! That’s long been a favorite of mine.

For the St. Patty’s day free shipping deal I picked up a few sample packs I had been eyeing for awhile. I figured it was a good way to get these without conning myself into ordering more tea. This is one of the free samples that Harney and Sons threw in for me to try. This is a no fuss, good cup of Assam. Nothing fancy about it. It hits some of the usual notes, malty and a tad fruity. This cup seems to add just the right about of astringency to make you remember you are drinking a strong cup. Well done! I would be interested in trying this in loose form at some point.

Ost

Hey! I got this as my free sample in the order I placed that day! XD For once I got a good sample!