Organic Green Tea with Citrus and Ginkgo

Fruit Green Herbal Blend
Drying, Grass, Hay, Lemon Zest, Lemongrass, Nuts, Straw, Wood, Lemon, Lime, Spearmint, Citrus, Mint
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

• “This tea came as a free sample from Harney and Sons and I’ve had it for a while and am just getting around to trying it now… I like the citrus quality here, it’s kind of lime-y and the ginkgo is...” Read full tasting note
  • “Working outside my normal environs this week, but it allows me to pick through other people’s tea stashes, intrepid explorer that I am. Considering that this one was clumsily made in a Kuerig that...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am getting back on the Green Tea Horse with this one :) This silken sachet was included as a freebie in my latest Harney & Sons delivery. The green tea is pretty palatable. Not bitter and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Another sample from Harney & Sons with my recent order. It isn’t horrible, but I’m not sure it is a green tea for me. The Earl Grey Supreme I had this morning had just the right amount of...” Read full tasting note

From Harney & Sons

In search of the organic? Look no further! Organic Green is a beautiful blend of handpicked green tea from China with citrus and ginkgo. By blending in natural citrus and sweet ginkgo, the bitterness and astringency typical in green teas, disappears, drawing out a delightfully clean and soothing green tea. Enjoy a healthy yet delicious tea effusing a bright citrus scent with a refreshing mint finish.

About Harney & Sons View company

This was a free sample that came with my order, so thank you Harney & Sons!

Leaf Quality
This sample tea was in a sachet. However, I could still see the individual leaves. They were cut, so there were no full green tea leaves. Also, the picking and processing region in China was not specified. Upon opening the sample, I got a very wonderful Margarita-like aroma. It smelled like lime.

Brewed Tea
It smelled just like the dried leaves- like a margarita. The color of the brew was a yellowish-green, and bits of tea and herb dust fell to the bottom of the cup. It was very citrusy, and tasted as if lemongrass were somewhere in the blend. This tea wasn’t too bad, although I think I would prefer it as an iced beverage. There really isn’t a very green tea flavor in this tea. The typical green tea flavor is overcome by the Ginko and citrus. I would have liked more green tea, or perhaps a stronger one.

I’m glad I got this one for free, as I would not have been satisfied paying for it.

The green tea is mild and its lemony without being tart. Great for casual sipping.

Cant taste or cant tell the ginkgo!

Tried 3 to 4 cups of it today at lunch in DC. Bagged version, though, so I don’t know what the loose version is like. It was up my alley; a strong enough tea base without being overpowering (yay green), citrusy flavor and savory flavor from the ginko, which I could only describe as “leafy,” but not in a bad way. It’s a little less fruit-y than Good Earth’s green with citrus something-or-other, but still good. I see I’ve tried other teas from this company before and been satisfied.
The tea did get weak by the third steep, but that’s typical for a teabag.

I really love the taste of this tea but I really HATE the very small particles. I feel I have to use a tea bag filter or else I’m eating the stuff. This is the only reason why I won’t buy again.

ru06

I haven’t had the same experience. Either way those small particles are supposedly healthy! : )

This was a pleasant citrus Green. The Ginkgo lingered for me, but wasn’t overpowering.

I’ve been drinking this first thing every morning and liking it a lot. Very gentle, like other people have said—not bitter/sharp the way other green teas can be. I guess it’s the citrus that softens the edge; I can’t really taste the gingko. It’s true that it’s an odd-looking tea: more like a variegated green-and-yellow powder than leaves. I use a pretty fine-mesh strainer (Teeli) for brewing, so don’t have the problem of getting little particles into the tea itself… that would not be so pleasant.

This is my new favorite Green, hands down. It’s the perfect mix between Harney’s Chinese Flower (a delicious, but overwhelming green) and my previous favorite, Twining’s standard Green. The citrus is light, but present, and it brings just the right amount of flavor. With a bit of honey, you absolutely cannot go wrong!

Really enjoyed this gentle blend of green tea and citrus notes. It reminds me a lot of the green tea I used to get from Celestial Seasons, but without the weird aftertaste. The ginkgo isn’t all that noticeable but it lends a slight earthiness to the tea.

I had a couple of samples of this tea left over from a couple of Harney & Sons orders. I’m still under the impression that whoever packs their freebies somehow knows what I don’t like and sends me such things as a joke. The only Harney & Sons freebie I have ever received that I recall liking was their Earl Grey Imperial. Still, I was willing to give this a chance. Though I don’t care for gingko, I do enjoy citrus and green tea, and considering the green tea base is Indian, I was immediately intrigued.

I prepared this tea using a two step Western infusion process. I started by steeping one silken sachet in 8 ounces of 175 F water for 2 minutes. I followed this infusion with a 3 minute infusion at the same temperature.

Prior to infusion, the dry blend presented a powerful mix of lemon, lemongrass, hay, and straw. There was a little bit of nuttiness from the gingko too. After infusion, the bouquet became more integrated and intense. In the mouth, I discovered a powerful, yet muddled mix of dried grass, lemon zest, hay, straw, lemongrass, nuts, and wood. The nuttiness and woodiness of the gingko became more intense on the finish, drying my mouth out and leaving me parched. The second infusion was more mellow, offering more prominent aromas and flavors of lemon and lemongrass before the gingko once again asserted itself and left my mouth and throat feeling dry.

I have to give this blend credit for one thing-it reminded me of why I do not particularly care for gingko. I could not stand how it kept popping up at the end and drying out my mouth. The citrus and lemongrass did not really help matters either. Part of the problem here was that the base tea did not seem all that interesting. It was as if Harney & Sons tried to cover its blandness up with additives that did not work all that well together. To me, this blend just came off as a mess. There was no balance. Everything was out of focus. I highly doubt I will ever have this one again.

Flavors: Drying, Grass, Hay, Lemon Zest, Lemongrass, Nuts, Straw, Wood

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Indigobloom

Right there with you on the gingko flavour. and ginseng is bad for me. Too much like medicine

eastkyteaguy

I actually like ginseng for the most part. I’m the only person I know who doesn’t find it harsh and medicinal. The only things I dislike about ginseng are that I find the texture can be a bit grainy and it often strikes me as having a ridiculously sweet aftertaste.

Indigobloom

I’ve always wondered if it was ginseng(similar to licorice for me) I dislike, or if its the fact that I notice similar flavours in medicines and medicinal teas. There are some licorice candies I don’t mind so there might be a ginseng product out there I enjoy! though it can interact badly with thyroid, which is a health concern of mine

eastkyteaguy

Hmm, that’s odd. I find ginseng to have a unique flavor all its own. Licorice is something I just can’t do. I’ve hated it since I was little. One ginseng product I tend to enjoy is ren shen oolong, an oolong wrapped in ginseng and vanilla. Sorry to hear about the thyroid, by the way. I had a thyroid scare of my own recently. It turned outo to be nothing, but going through the scans and the biopsies gave me a profound appreciation of what people with thyroid disease endure.

Fjellrev

I haven’t had the best of luck with gingko either. It always seems too bitter and dry.

Indigobloom

Have you tried Swedish licorice? It’s the only type I somewhat enjoy!
Thanks. My issues were not terrible, and thyroid concerns run in the family so it was easy to identify. Doc said my levels weren’t even bad enough to treat with medication yet, but it was giving me some nasty insomnia and I was slated to lose my job if something wasn’t done. So I ended up with a naturopath who fixed me up. I’m thankful it was manageable.

eastkyteaguy

No, I have yet to try Swedish licorice. I know virtually nothing about it. I actually had a hard nodule that was monitored for around two years because it seemed to be calcifying and growing. I had also gained a lot of weight (I am only 5’9" and went from being about 165 lbs to 224 lbs between 2013 and 2016.), was having terrible mood swings, and constant pain and fatigue. It was finally big enough to biopsy in November and I got the biopsy done earlier this month. It turns out it was just a big, partially dried cyst. My hormone levels were stable and my labs came back clean. My doctors think a lot of my issues have been spurred by work-related stress and exhaustion.

Indigobloom

Oh wow that sounds awful. I’m sorry to hear about your issues. My advice? find a good naturopath with knowledge of both the naturopath and “regular” medical field. They will be able to read your results and explain them to you better. Mine showed me that there is a big gap between optimal levels and the point at which docs in mainstream medicine will say something needs attention. Preventative vs reactive. In some people, symptoms can show up long before it reaches the point where pharmaceutical drugs will be relevant. Could be stress like your docs said but that feels kinda like a “well we don’t really know so lets blame it on that” situation

Sipdown (178)

So this tea tasted like weed to me. Don’t ask how I know what weed tastes like but I was instantly confused when I took a sip of this. In fact, I was so convinced that I must be wrong, I made my sister try it and she definitely felt the same. It reminded me of the time my sister brought a travel toothpaste on a trip with us and I told her it tasted like pickles and she looked at me like I was crazy only for me to later hear a giant OMG from the bathroom when she realized I was right.