Black Fruit Blend
Bergamot, Caramel, Leather, Malt, Toast, Wood
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by eastkyteaguy

2 Images

• “Yet another tea that I cannot believe is not in my cupboard and I’ve never logged. =P The general overview is that this is a solid enjoyable Earl Grey with a black tea based that gets too strong...” Read full tasting note
  • “One of my teeth broke in half yesterday, probably caused by many years of chewing pens while working. I always rationalized that it was a safer habit than smoking cigarettes. Apparently the pen...” Read full tasting note
  • “I picked up a little of this at Millerton to see how it compares to Earl Grey Supreme and Viennese Earl Grey. I do like it. It is a very good Earl Grey, but I think I like the other two just a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Accidentally oversteeped this, so I tried it with milk again. It’s standing up to it a little better, but the milk is still killing a lot of the flavor.” Read full tasting note

From Harney & Sons

This blend was a gift from China to the British Prime Minister, Earl Grey. Our blend uses teas from India and China, blended with natural Oil of Bergamot.

About Harney & Sons View company

Received this as a sample in my recent order. It was very nice, and I couldn’t really taste much difference between it and the Earl Grey Supreme that I usually get from H&S, though I didn’t have any on hand to compare.

I can’t believe I didn’t try this one sooner. I love Earl Grey, and I love Harney’s Earl Grey Supreme, but their standard Earl Grey just fell through the cracks with me. I was always aware of it, but for some reason, I never made a point to try it. Obviously, that has changed. I ordered a sample of this tea with a recent order and worked my way through it during on-call duty. I found it to be a very respectable traditional Earl Grey.

I prepared this tea using the one step Western infusion process I tend to favor for non-Chinese black teas and many black tea blends. I steeped 1 teaspoon of loose tea leaves in 8 ounces of 212 F water for 5 minutes. I did not attempt additional infusions.

Prior to infusion, the dry tea leaves gave off a wonderfully clear aroma of bergamot. After infusion, I continued to note a pronounced bergamot presence that was joined by traces of malt and toast. In the mouth, the bergamot was very clear from the start. Around mid-palate, I noted subtle notes of malt, toast, leather, and wood coupled with what may have been a touch of caramel. The finish was tart and zesty, continuing to emphasize the bergamot flavor underscored by subtle malt and toast.

I’m a little perplexed by some of the other reviews of this tea. It seems that a number of other reviewers found this Earl Grey lacking in a distinct bergamot presence, but I did not find that to be the case at all. In my experience, the black tea base was mild enough to clearly highlight the bergamot while simultaneously being just strong enough to provide some balance. As far as standard Earl Grey blends go, I found this one to be very solid and to skew toward the fruitier, tarter end of the spectrum. To be clear, it does not pack the bergamot punch of Harney & Sons’ Earl Grey Supreme. I do not, however, think it is all that much of a step down from that blend. I think that fans of traditional Earl Grey and/or flavored black tea blends may find quite a bit to like with this one.

Flavors: Bergamot, Caramel, Leather, Malt, Toast, Wood

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

The best Earl Grey I’ve ever had. Granted, I have not tried many Earl Greys, but this one is so good, I’m finding it hard to try anything else. Has the perfect balance of bergamot. Never fails to satisfy. I would order this tea again.

Flavors: Bergamot

One of my favorite earl grey’s.

Flavors: Bergamot

Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This is not my favorite kind of Earl Grey, but it wasn’t as terrible as I remember.

I just finished the entire tin of this tea, and it has really grown on me. I really enjoy the subtlety and the high quality of the black tea in this blend. I also love the fact that the bergamot is not overpowering. This is an incredibly simple tea with no fruitiness or floweriness whatsoever. This is exactly what an Earl Grey ought to be. The only bad thing I’ll say about it is that it is incredibly delicate when it comes to the steeping. If you don’t do it exactly right, you’ll end up with a hot cup of disappointment. Once you nail the precise water temperature and steeping time, this tea never fails to impress.

Cathy Baratheon

You should try Earl Grey Supreme :)

James

If I ever find a tin, I certainly will.

Got this bagged at an Einstein Bros. I’m no Earl Grey expert, but this tea didn’t wow me. It wasn’t bad, though.

Pretty good for a bagged tea. Good strong flavor that’s accented, but not overpowered, by bergamot.

An enjoyable Earl Grey that is not too strong. It’s definitely what I reach for when I am not in the mood for Tower of London. I hope to try the other variations.

Wow, that’s a strong Bergamot! I would expect bergamot enthusiasts would love this! Personally I could take or leave it on the whole.