Chocolate Tea

Chocolate, Cocoa, Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Earth, Espresso, Alcohol, Malt, Creamy, Smooth, Sweet
Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by Jeff

• “Sipdown no. 26 for the year 2014. I forgot how much I loved this. In looking back at my first note, I believe I was chintzy with the rating. Particularly after now having tasted many other...” Read full tasting note
  • “holy whoa. i had a cup of this yesterday. it was nice, but not notable. i kinda forgot about it right after drinking it. then i came here and read Miss Starfish’s mention of steeping longer and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Dry, this smells of rich cocoa and black tea. MMMmmmmm! I tried this at 3 minutes (which is usually my cut off point for blacks) and while I liked it, I chose to steep it for another minute. I was...” Read full tasting note
  • “Just back from seeing Avatar. My heart hurts! I needed something extremely comforting and chose a double portion of this. I love the way you still taste tea as well as the chocolate – I bet it’s...” Read full tasting note

From Harney & Sons

If you love Chocolate, and tea, and want to experience the two as one, then this tea is the choice for you. This tea is highly rated by all the chocolate fanatics here at Harney Tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

I think this is officially my first chocolate chocolate tea? My lovely friend’s mum gave her some of this, because they were sold out of Paris. Nice substitute, but I think I will still give Paris the upper hand here.

Yummy yummy yummy smell. Super strong. Chloë opened the tin, and I swear my brain dissolved. As they say in Chocolat, “Each time I tell myself it’s the last time, but then I get a whiff of…” etc. Perhaps even more so than when I am lusting after someone to a silly degree. BUT. It also had a slight coffee / toasted wood undertone to the smell, which was well balanced, and definitely reflected in the taste.

The leaves are almost black, twisted, and expanded exponentially inside my strainer. Again, it reminded me of coffee in color – a very luscious, dark mocha. My anticipation was growing. I was biting my lip and staring at my glass teapot sideways, begging it to brew faster. The macaroons were prepared to dunk. (http://www.macaroons.com)

As we brewed it (and perhaps it could have sat for a bit longer), I was unimpressed. No bitterness to be found. The chocolate flavor was weak, mostly in the aftertaste, and only mildly strengthened with a splash of milk and sugar. In truth, all I had been searching for was a full-bodied, creamy, chocolate taste. If, however, you seek a tea that harmonizes chocolate with black tea flavors, then I think you will be quite pleased.

Oh Cha!

I’ve been meaning to try that tea… great review!

tease

Glad to be helpful in any way! :)

Chocolate. Tea. Perfect harmony. Ommm…

I love tea, I love chocolate, but not chocolate tea.

Nice black tea with some good chocolate flavor. Not like hot chocolate, but chocolaty-er than most chocolate teas I have tried.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa

The fragrance to this is just divine. And the tea really does taste like chocolate – but to my taste buds, it’s like one of those “midnight dark” chocolates that are this close to tasting like baker’s chocolate. I do love dark chocolate, but not that dark. Objectively, I think it’s probably a nice tea if you do love that earthy, superdark, almost espresso taste – I just happen to really dislike it. Accordingly, I don’t want to give it a number value because it seems rude to mark it low just because it isn’t to my taste, when I think it’s a fine tea. I’d probably give it about a 15 on my personal scale, though.

Flavors: Coffee, Dark Chocolate, Earth, Espresso

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 3 tsp 18 OZ / 532 ML

1983 tasting notes

This was a thoughtful “open one early on Christmas Eve” from my sweet husband. Sweetly scented cocoa both dry and steeped…is creamy on its own without milk, but a splash turns it into dessert mousse. Perfect for watching Tazo snooze in my lap and counting blessings.

Indeed, we have all received grace after grace from His fullness… May your home and heart be filled with grace today.

mrmopar

Love the Scripture.

Smells alcoholic somehow, like chocolate cordials without any filling. Tasted like a watery, somewhat malty version of the same, and while I can’t be SURE this is what was responsible for the splitting headache all day that followed, I don’t care enough to retry to find out.

Flavors: Alcohol, Cocoa, Malt

Boiling 2 min, 15 sec 3 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

I haven’t had a lot of chocolate teas but this is one of my favorites so far. I can definitely taste the chocolate in it, and it’s good with milk, making it a possible candidate for frequent drinking (there are some teas I drink without milk, such as oolongs, but I find that just a little milk with my tea helps stabilise my blood sugar, which is important for me because otherwise I tend to crash between meals). I steeped it for barely over five minutes and it’s not bitter at all. I’ll log this tea in the “evidence in favor of ordering from Harney” column. Thanks JK7ray for sharing! :)

Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tea reminds me of a non-alcoholic Samuel Smith’s Chocolate Stout. It’s creamy,sweet, smooth, malty and of course, chocolatey.

My wife said it reminded her of a milkshake, with more than an average amount of malt added. She didn’t care for it as much, but I thought it was stupendous. The amount of maltiness, with the sweet, smooth, and chocolate aromas/flavors made this tea for me. When I want something sweet, and don’t want a Samuel Smith’s, I’ll drink this tea instead.

Flavors: Chocolate, Creamy, Malt, Smooth, Sweet

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

The chocolate flavor tasted kind of fake to me. I’ll have to try it again to be sure. Will also try with sugar and sugar/milk.