White Vanilla Grapefruit

Fruit White Blend
Cream, Grapefruit, Vanilla, Fruity, Alcohol, Citrus
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Edit tea info Last updated by Jeremy Meyers

• “Intriguing tea. The white base here is of the stronger more robust variety, bordering on woody. I cold brewed mine. I can imagine that this one is sensitive to oversteeping with hot water. The base...” Read full tasting note
  • “LOVE the gentle mixture of aromas in this! I’m still going against the grain here and enjoying this tea! Even tho I seem to be in the minority…I’m standing my ground! :) The vanilla cuts the...” Read full tasting note
  • “SIPDOWN! (242) Thanks mercuryhime for sharing this one with me. I tried the last of this as a cold brew and it was pretty tasty. Still no grapefruit taste to speak of but it’s quite a nice vanilla...” Read full tasting note
  • “This was a freebie that came with my latest Harney & Sons order. When I opened the package, I "eek"ed out loud because the sachet was not properly sealed. Tea almost spilled everywhere. The...” Read full tasting note

From Harney & Sons

White teas enriched by vanilla and brightened by grapefruit bring forth the cleansing White Vanilla Grapefruit tea. Each refreshing brew reveals light and smooth citrus tones. The indulgent vanilla aroma, pleasantly surprising and suggestive of chocolate, engulfs the white tea in its sweet embrace. The whimsical fusion of white teas, vanilla, and fresh citrus makes for a complex yet wonderful equation.

About Harney & Sons View company

I’m really loving this tea, and it’s fast becoming one of my favorite after-dinner brews. It’s pretty much as described, kind of like a more tart creamsicle with a bit of the depth of white tea.

Do be careful though, it is sensitive to overbrewing, where the overbrewed tea leaves clash nastily with the grapefruit and gets extra bitter.

It should be amazing on ice, though I haven’t tried it yet.

Bought a sachet of this when we were out this last weekend. Normally, I don’t like flavored tea but couldn’t resist the vanilla/grapefruit combo. The smell of this tea upon opening the packet was almost enough to put me off. It was sort of sickeningly sweet. I can taste the grapefruit and the vanilla is more a smell I get when drinking. I was really hoping I could add this to my list of ‘must haves’ from Harney but alas! ’Tis not to be.

A really delicious tea, but don’t let it steep too long. The flavors (White/Vanilla/Grapefruit) don’t seem to go together quite as well as the White Christmas Tea (White/Vanilla/Almond.) I thought the Grapefruit was an exciting kick, though.

This is one of the best teas I’ve ever had! :)

Surprisingly light and refreshing . Just the thing for a late spring or early summer afternoon. I think I prefer it iced but it was very flavorful hot. The grapefruit favor dominates but without any bitterness, as the vanilla fives it a smooth, creamy after taste.

Adding sweetener gives the tea a general citrus flavor as opposed to the distinctive grapefruit flavor it has plain. It took a dab of creme well but I wouldn’t put more than that in (my dab is between 1/2 and a full teaspoon). The creme made the flavor smoother but more creme could easily drown out the fruit flavor.

This is my second white tea sample and it makes me anxious to try more.

Flavors: Cream, Grapefruit, Vanilla

I was curious about this one, so it was a happy surprise to find a sample sachet in the box. It’s actually kind of weird though. Definitely tasting the vanilla and the white base, but somehow they don’t work together. I don’t taste or smell anything remotely like grapefruit or citrus. Not bad but not a keeper. Well, at least now I know.

Evol Ving Ness

Sounds magic. Too bad.

Tamarindel

I know! Vanilla and grapefruit sound great together!

Sipdown!

I love this as a work tea and may have to order/get more. The grapefruit is just a bit sharp and the vanilla contributes a wonderful, cake-like quality to the tea. The dry least even smells fluffy and light, just like this tea tastes. Yum!

Of the few Thai Tea’s available locally, this is my favorite. It brews true to what I expect Thai Tea to taste like. It has a lightly spiced earthy tone to it. It’s nice and red-orange.

Delicately flavoured tea, my first ever white. The initial scent of the dry tea is hard to describe… To me it was reminiscent of some type of alcoholic liqueur, and upon trying to figure it out I was suddenly taken back to a lolly store of my childhood, then a kind of vanilla as well but not the scent I would normally associate with vanilla. Maybe it’s vanilla bean, not the imitation vanilla essence you use in cakes.

Only steeped it for 3 mins as per recommendations on here not to oversteep it. Very subtle taste and can notice both the vanilla and the grapefruit follows it. Flat tsp of sugar to sweeten. I made it again and steeped for 5 min this time and no milk. Only difference is the grapefruit is now stronger.

This tea is pleasant enough even with the grapefruit but wouldn’t buy a box of it.

Flavors: Alcohol, Grapefruit, Vanilla

Sample cube 5/18

I haven’t found many fruit-blended white teas enjoyable—more often than not, they end up tasting like fruit in slightly dusty water. But when I try a new one I always hope it will surprise me in a good way. That said, I picked this one out of the cube using a random number generator. Hah.

The sachet was covered with a yellow dust, as if some kind of flavoring or coloring had gotten applied a little too liberally. The aroma of the dry tea is vanilla, caramel, and dried citrus fruit—sweet, but slightly musty. Once brewed, the tea is a light orange color. Many little hairs from the leaves escaped into the brew, but with some white teas that is to be expected. I tried to be cautious with water temperature and steep time, but the tea base was still rather astringent. It is sweet, but it’s hard to tell whether that is from the flavoring or the tea itself. The citrus flavor is, again, slightly musty and not too robust, and hard to identify as grapefruit. As the tea cooled, it took on a juicier and more pleasant note. Overall it’s just okay, not particularly memorable for good or bad qualities, though it might be much better as a summer iced tea.

160 °F / 71 °C 3 min, 0 sec 6 OZ / 177 ML