Grey Line Black Tea

Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Hugo Tea Company

• “Haven’t been reviewing much because stupid busy and also have been drinking favorites as comfort and to de-stress. :) This is still a superb EG for bergamot lovers. The tea is super smooth, the...” Read full tasting note
  • “I haven’t had this one in a long time and by the looks of it, I have never logged it. This is a STRONG cup of EG. I have also had this one for quite awhile so I know the strong cup I am tasting...” Read full tasting note
  • “Look what came in the mail today! A short while ago I made a comment that bergamot wasn’t my thing, but maybe that was in the past the Earl Grey teas I’d tried were lower quality, the cheap grocery...” Read full tasting note
  • “Earl Grey is one of my favorite teas and this does not disappoint. I enjoyed the very strong Bergamot scent that you get just by taking off the top lid, let alone exposing the tea directly. It does...” Read full tasting note

From Hugo Tea Company

Grey Line™ is Hugo Tea’s hand-blended earl grey crafted with bergamot oil from Italy’s famed Reggio Calabria. The tea base is our 100 Year, a malty scotch-like Yunnan black tea, which provides balance for the citrusy bergamot. Grey Line™ is fit for tycoons, dashing ladies and gentlemen, and anyone who fits well enough in a top hat. Keep it close and brew it often.

About Hugo Tea Company View company

This is still a superb EG for bergamot lovers. The tea is super smooth, the leaves are big and beautiful, it’s just an extremely well done tea. I got to sit down with Tyler from Hugo Tea last week in his new digs and have some tea and chat about the local and global tea scene. He’s a passionate and knowledgeable guy and it was a very pleasant afternoon. I hope their new location works out for them – at the very least because it’s close to me! :) And more importantly because these hometown boys need to be supported in their efforts to bring better tea to the public.

As an aside, why does Yunnan Sourcing hate me so much? Just last night I closed my eyes and hit the purchase button on a large tea tray, a cha hai and a large gaiwan from Umiteasets and today YS puts their teawares on sale. >.< I don’t think they would have been able to get here by the time I need them without ridiculous shipping but still… And I’m still waiting for some of the gorgeous cups they posted to FB a long time ago to be listed on the site to buy. That’s what I was holding off on in the first place or I’d have ordered a tray from them before now. But I need a large gaiwan for June 6 so I had to go ahead and buy now… le sigh. Ah, well. I need to drink up some of the huge splurge purchase from them anyway.

And I can see the bottom of this tin of Grey Line, too. That will have to be remedied!

boychik

Send Scott an email. he will honor you a discount, pretty sure

boychik

Sorry Nicole, i need to read slowly. i thought you placed an order from YS before the sale was announced. didnt see Umi lol

Nicole

Oh, you better believe if I ordered from YS the day before I’d have been begging for the discount. :) But I am now spent out on tea ware for awhile I think. Until I see a must-have pretty, of course. :)

I haven’t had this one in a long time and by the looks of it, I have never logged it. This is a STRONG cup of EG. I have also had this one for quite awhile so I know the strong cup I am tasting is actually a lot less strong than it use to be too. This packs a berg punch. This morning it is quite a delicious tea. A pretty solid base, could use a little more upmph, but solid. Looks like Hugo teas might be changing it up a bit…. Full Steam looks to be no longer and the current black tea is out of stock. Hmm will have to check the coffee shop down the street and see what they have in store.

Nicole

They have been showing up at more stores around the area lately. I grabbed some last week from either HyVee or Price Chopper – can’t recall which.

TeaTiff

Nicole have you tried the 100 year black?

Nicole

I have some. That’s the one I picked up. I have no idea if it is intended to replace Full Steam or if it is an additional black offering. If you don’t want to try a whole tin, I’d be happy to send you a goodish bit. For me, it’s good, but nothing I have to keep around.

Look what came in the mail today! A short while ago I made a comment that bergamot wasn’t my thing, but maybe that was in the past the Earl Grey teas I’d tried were lower quality, the cheap grocery store bags. Many thanks to Nicole for sending me some high quality tea samples with bergamot for me to try. This is my first Steepster swap and I am pretty excited for the opportunity. I set my kettle to boil, reached into the envelope and blindly picked a sample to try.

I used 1 teaspoon of tea to 10 ounces of water, and steeped for only 2.5 minutes. This tea brewed up to a lovely dark amber color. I couldn’t smell it, of course, so I’ve no idea how strong the bergamot smelled. I sipped. Full bodied. Smooth. Not sweet, but perfumey. I think that’s the bergamot. It may be an acquired taste. I will certainly try another cup of this, and this time increase the amount of tea and the length of steeping. And meanwhile I have three other teas to try! Thanks, Nicole!

Flavors: Perfume, Smooth

Earl Grey is one of my favorite teas and this does not disappoint. I enjoyed the very strong Bergamot scent that you get just by taking off the top lid, let alone exposing the tea directly. It does not however overpower the tea and is very delightful, as its can says for feeling stately, wearing top hats and building empires. I try to have at least a cup of this everyday late morning before lunch, while I build my empire at work.

Flavors: Bergamot

Thank you TeaTiff for the swap a while back! I tried this one a couple days ago. I always seem to have Earl Grey on gloomy days… maybe that’s why it’s called Earl GREY. I used just boiling water and that seems like it might have ruined the bergamot just a little bit. I should have waited a few minutes. Otherwise a nice bright, fresh, crisp, strong bergamot on the perfect base for an Earl. I’ll try it again steeped differently!
Steep #1 // just boiled // 3 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min

Anytime anybody sends me a sample of an earl grey or plum oolong, I give them to Tony. He loves those types of teas, & I don’t. His main standbye is Ahmad’s Earl Grey, of course, he tends to eye my samples with suspicion, hahaha. So I slipped him this one for his first cup of the day, taking a sip so I could comment. The Bergamot is fairly light, & there is a lingering woody aftertaste.
Tony said it was ok, but he likes Ahmad’s better.
This is a sipdown, from Tony’s cupboard, not mine, LOL.

SSTTB

So I brewed this up and as I pulled out the steeped leaves, I immediately realized I screwed up as the smell of bergamot (or to borrow from Sil, “blergamot”) filled my nose. Darn it. Oh well, I already made the cup so might as well give it a try, right?

Luckily this one isn’t too bad. It is fairly subtle although more floral than citrusy. Not for me given I am not a lover of the Earl but it is still fun to try all the teas.

This is a generous sample from TeaTiff – thank you so much.
I love good quality EG and this tea is the best of both worlds: my beloved yunnan black base and bergamot. It’s strong flavored but nothing artificial about this tea. Deep dark smooth and balanced. 205F 3.5 min produced excellent cup of afternoon tea. Resteep is good too. While bergamot loses its punch but still present. And Yunnans are famous for multiple resteeps.
It is comparable to American Tea Room EG Shanghai.
Thank you so much TeaTiff for the opportunity to try this tea.
On my wish list it goes along with Full-Steam.

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
DeliriumsFrogs

Sounds so yummy!!

So, Sil is safely on the other side of the country, so what better time to do the Great Earl Grey Tea-Off Competition!

I have A&D’s Mount Gray, Hugo’s Grey Line and Justea’s Kathyrne Earl Grey… who will win as the best EG? Will I even notice any differences? Let’s find out!

I started by pouring ½ a perfect DavidsTea’s spoon into 3 different color coded cups. The I poured in roughly 6oz of 205F water, and I steeped them for 4 minutes.

Initial impressions:
I had to re-pour them into different cups because I realized they needed to have the same color inside for comparison. Whoops! So now that they are all in white cups I can tell that the Hugo tea is a much darker colour than the other two. It’s a reddish orange, while the other two are yellow-orange. Justea’s is probably a bit more orange than the A&D.

I sniffed them and they all smelled pretty much the same, except for Justea which was a bit earthier.

First sips:
A&D’s – smooth EG. Nothing to complain about. Bergamot lingers but doesn’t quite cross that too perfumy line.

Hugo’s – not quite so smooth – feels like there’s a little more going on in this cup, although it’s hard to put my finger on it. Bergamot is not quite as present as the A&D cup. I almost get peach or something with it.

Justea’s – this is quite a different animal! It’s musky and dark and the bergamot is fairly strong. Not a subtle cup!

Finishing the cups:
A&D’s seems to be the least complicated of the three. It’s an EG and it knows that and it’s not going to mess around. The base makes me think of a Yunnan black with the subtlest of honey notes, but maybe that’s because I’ve had the other two to compare it with. Overall? A solid EG that I’m guaranteed to enjoy! I know that this one re-steeps well but I’ve only re-used the leaves once.

Hugo’s almost has woody notes to it. At least after trying it after the A&D, that was the most obvious thing I noticed. It smells like lemon too! Along with the woody notes, I still feel like there’s a peach or some kind of fruit note in there. It’s a complex cup. Apparently it’s good for 3 re-steeps too!

Justea’s tea is better once it cools. It loses some of the musk (or whatever it is?) and mellow just a bit. I also can really smell the lemon and it makes me think of lemon cake because of the richness. I definitely enjoy this cup the more I drink of it, but the base tea is one that I’m still not completely used to and it distract me a little bit until I’m at least 1/3 done the cup.

OVERALL: Hugo’s Grey Line seems to be my favourite, although A&D’s Mt Gray is nothing to dismiss. Justea’s Kathryne Grey is enjoyable but one I crave less often due to the base.

mj

I love how scientific you made your study :-)

Dexter

(part of me feels obligated to say “ewwww blergamont” on Sil’s behalf)
Nice comparison though. It’s interesting when you try similar teas together, because the differences suddenly really stand out. :))

TheTeaFairy

Haha, Cavo, Sil might be away, but Dexter is around!!!
Great review!

I’m still watching you….I almost picked up the EG you wanted from out here today too but then I couldn’t remember what else we wanted if anything….

Cavocorax

I definitely want the Grapefruit EG because it was surprisngly good. I’m not sure what else is available becasue their menu isn’t up to doate, but basically any of the chocolate blends I am interested in. The fruit blends were not as good as other tea companies, but Divine Temptation and Creme Brulee are good. I think those are the two that OMGSrsly blends together as a custom mix.

Cavocorax

And thanks guys. :D It was fun to do a for-serious tea review for once!

Marzipan

Grapefruit EG? Where can I get that?

@Marzipan – I got it from Bayswater in Vancouver: http://www.bayswatertea.com
There website is really out of date but they will ship if you email them. Maybe they can send you a current menu as well?

I asked them today. Their website is only missing about 20 of he their teas, the prices are wrong (though not by much supposedly) I tried to get a new menus to take home and the woman seemed offended I would ask…. “Well just go to our website” me: oh is it up to date now? “Well no.” Me……..

mj

Sil, does your real name happen to be Karen and were you friends with my friend, also Karen, who lived in Minneapolis?

Haha nope, sorry to disappoint..,in real life I go by sarah ;)

Sil – Um. Wow. Omg.
Y’know, I wouldn’t be that put out if you never went back there. That’s just awful.

looseTman

Great comparison review!

Cavo…naw I liked the walk. It was all good. Plus I’ll likely pick up divine and creme….maybe one other. Then it’ll be off to steam :)

Cavocorax

Do you know what you want from Steam? I didn’t see anything, but I don’t think I’ve had anything from there before. When I went into their store I wasn’t super impressed because all the prices were hidden/hard to find and I wanted to stealth browse without talking to anoyone.

If you see any great chocolate ones, grab me 50g of that from Bayswater!

MissB

Heh. Awesome! I find JusTea’s really, really easy to oversteep and overleaf… when I brew it “correctly”, I really love it (and blergamot is so not my thing).

mj

Sil, just checking! I knew a Karen who went by Sil who was into tea, so I had to make sure!

NP mj
Cavo – after dark is the one I must get. Omg sent me some and I really enjoyed it….I think there was at least one other but I can’t recall yet…just woke up after a 12 hour nap

VariaTEA

Sil, Chocolate Macchiato from Bayswater was pretty good. And Cavo, Steam makes a yummy maple tea :)

Cavocorax

Oh, that one does sound really good! I’d split it, unless you’d rather keep 100g of it to yourself! The Hazelberry Puerh sounds good too!

Marzipan

Is the grapefruit one that isn’t on the site or is it called something else?

Cavocorax

Yeah, it’s not on the site. It’s a new one they brought out last year – I assume it’s still there?

It is. I made sure to check for it