Greek Mountain Tea (Tsai Tou VouNou)

Herbal Tea
Herbaceous, Lemon, Sweet, Honey, Sage, Grass
Caffeine Free
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Christina / BooksandTea
Boiling 7 min, 15 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

• “sample from christina that i’m finally getting around to trying. I am a fan of this one, it’s a little different but on the whole the taste is light, refreshing and if there are any sort of health...” Read full tasting note
  • “From a swap with Zennen. Thank you! This reminds me a bit of lemongrass and the other lemony herbs, but it’s not quite the same. The lemon is a bit brighter and sweeter, and the herbaceous taste...” Read full tasting note
  • “Christina gave me a sample of this tea and it’s taken me ages to try it out. It was only because the brewing instructions were a bit different than normal but not difficult by any means. I would...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am boiling sticks and leaves on the stove because Christina sent them to me with those instructions. I think I’ll give them 10 minutes of simmering before I drink… The leaves are still fuzzy...” Read full tasting note

From Klio Tea

Greek Mountain tea (pronounced “Tsy-Too-VooNoo” in Greek, accent on the “voo”) is made from the dried flowers, leaves and stems of the native Sideritis plant which grows throughout the mountainous regions of Greece at very high elevations – typically over 3,000 feet. It is known for its high levels of antioxidants and contains large amounts of essential oils and more than 60 other compounds, including saponines, flavonoids and polyphenols.

Traditionally used as an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial, ancient wisdom says it has a positive effect on colds, respiratory problems, digestion, the immune system and mild anxiety. Modern science is now finding many of those stories to be true: recent studies indicate that it assists in the prevention of osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s and even cancer and has a positive effect on a myriad of different ailments including colds, fevers, respiratory problems, digestion problems, and anxiety.

Like all of our teas, Klio Greek Mountain Tea is a single varietal, whole leaf, organic tea, pure and unprocessed. Research has shown Greek Mountain Tea to be rich in antioxidants. The actual amounts vary by species and location. This offering of Greek Mountain Tea comes from Mount Othrys and we have tested it for antioxidants by Brunswick Labs, (www.brunswicklabs.com) the leader in antioxidant testing. One ten ounce serving of our Mount Othrys Greek Mountain Tea has an ORAC 5.0 antioxidant score of approximately 7,000 and approximately 120 mg of polyphenols.

About Klio Tea View company

sample from christina that i’m finally getting around to trying. I am a fan of this one, it’s a little different but on the whole the taste is light, refreshing and if there are any sort of health benefits, then extra yay! :)

ashmanra

I have a whole bag of this and have yet to try it. A guy smuggled some seeds into the country and grew it and sent some to me and I really need to try it!

it’s different from your usual but still a tasty cup imo.

From a swap with Zennen. Thank you!

This reminds me a bit of lemongrass and the other lemony herbs, but it’s not quite the same. The lemon is a bit brighter and sweeter, and the herbaceous taste is soft – not at all grassy. It’s my favorite so far of the lemony herbs, but it’s still not a flavor profile I particularly care for.

Flavors: Herbaceous, Lemon, Sweet

Boiling 8 min or more 8 OZ / 236 ML
Zennenn

Glad you gave it a try!

rosebudmelissa

I really appreciated the opportunity!

Christina gave me a sample of this tea and it’s taken me ages to try it out. It was only because the brewing instructions were a bit different than normal but not difficult by any means. I would just have the kettle heating already when picking out a tea so it meant I never got around to this one.

The leaves looked really strange. Big and fuzzy white/green. Big fat fuzzy white/green stems too. I could smell sage.

Brewed it up and was relieved the sage was not as strong as I thought it would be. Quite mild with a sweet honey taste to it. It has a similarity to Honeysuckle.

Of course it wasn’t such a good tasting tea I would have to have it again. That’s mostly the way with a lot of herbals. They are fairly pleasant to drink but not super tasty. I just drink them for the health benefits. This one looks like it has a few health benefits too.

Thanks for the sample Christina. Glad I got to try this one out.

Flavors: Honey, Sage

The leaves are still fuzzy after boiling. :) Smells a lot like the fake Greek Mountain Tea I got from Cornelia Bean. Sage, orange/citrus… I put some honey in it. This is more earthy than the flavoured herbal, though. Might be the twiggy bits?

Oh, that’s nice. Definitely a touch more medicinal than I was really expecting. It’s that earthy flavour like you can get with nettle leaves or (almost, mildly) valerian. But it tastes like citrus and sage. It’s pretty nice! Not sure I’d want it all the time, but if I see it locally (I’m pretty sure one of my local delis carries something like this) I might pick it up.

Thanks so much, Christina!

Zennenn

I have a bag of this and can’t decide if I’m allergic to it or not. O_o I really like the taste … Would you like some more?

OMGsrsly

Haha. No thank you. I have way too much tea still. :)

rosebudmelissa

If you’re looking to get rid of it, I’m always interested in trying new herbals.

Backlog:

I really liked this a lot more than I thought I would. When I opened the pouch, I was kind of surprised by the appearance of it. As I mentioned in a comment on another tasting note of this tea, it looks a lot like branches of sagebrush from the backyard of the house that I lived in as a kid. It doesn’t look like it could possibly be brewed and be something tasty but it actually is pretty good.

It’s herb-y tasting and lemon-y. Hints of honey. It also has a ‘warm’ sort of flavor, like it’s gently spiced and it tastes a little bit like sage to me.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/11/28/greek-mountain-tea-from-klio/

Hoo boy, I made a strong batch of this tea this evening – the herbal bounciness of this has morphed into a medicinal edge that I don’t like.

Anyways: Gracie news!

Gracie is still at the vet’s, but she’s doing much better than she was yesterday. It’s highly likely she’ll be able to come home tomorrow. She was in a baaad way on Monday night, but with the proper treatment, she’s on the mend.

She was even able to stand up and walk around, and now she’s started to give the vet staff some sass! Welcome back, my sweet little cantankerous bitchy princess!

For now, she’s still on a bunch of antibiotics and they’ll start the steroids tomorrow. Then when she comes home, she’ll be taking a bunch of pills every day for at least 2-3 weeks. Some are steroids. Others are meant to help her gall bladder. But my little princess is nearly back!

alexander&james tea co.

Yay! So glad she’s feeling better.

Lindsay

Very glad to hear she’s doing better. :)

mrmopar

Good news!

TeaExplorer

I’m so glad to hear this! That was quite a scare.

Fjellrev

That’s great!

Ubacat

So glad to hear this!

Christina / BooksandTea

Update: She came home last night! She’s super skinny and tired-looking, and she hid behind the couch once she was home, but she’s back! Now we have to give her a bunch of pills every day, which is gonna be super fun.