Caramel

Chinese Black Tea, Natural Caramel Flavor
Caramel, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Raisins, Sweet, Wood, Vanilla
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “EEEEEEH HE HEHEHE HEHE HEEEEEE I HAZ IT! I HAZ IT! I knew I’d seen it on the shelf. Went to my absolutely last hope this morning and there it was in a great big 250g tin! Yoink. What’s worse, the...” Read full tasting note
  • “I know by this time of day I usually move on to Greens, Whites, Rooibos, Minty, etc types but I can’t stop tasting the lovely teas AUGGY sent me! So…here’s another one! This doesn’t smell like...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m so excited to be drinking this for breakfast! I have come to really love this blend. I have been waiting to make any more tea orders/purchases until later this year and some of my stock goes...” Read full tasting note
  • “SIPDOWN! thanks to whatshesaid for letting me try this one. Still on the hunt for a perfect caramel tea but it was nice to cross this one off my list. It also confirms my suspicion that i’m not...” Read full tasting note

From Kusmi Tea

Black tea from China flavored with natural essences of caramel.

Tasting advice: delicious plain or sweetened.
TEA PROFILE

Time of day: afternoon
Ideal water temperature: 185°F – 195°F
Recommended brewing time: 3-4 min

About Kusmi Tea View company

It is good. It tastes almost a bit fruity – I wonder if I can taste a bit of currant yet I know it is caramel. Maybe flavors from previous teas are stuck in the travel mug.

Grade: B.O.P. (Broken Orange Pekoe)
Aahhhh… relaxing, comforting and tasty, that’s what this tea is. The dry tea smells of roasted sugar, butter and cream… does it get better than that? Not really. I brewed this tea for 5 minutes which I think is a great steeping time for Kusmi’s flavored chinese blacks. I’m not joking. The liquid tea smells exactly the same as the dry tea, but here the butter/cream notes are less dominating. Still very, very pleasing. The black tea itself is smooooooth, and doesn’t even has a hint of unpleasant bitterness. The caramel flavor is medium/strong, and absolutely not synthetic, I’m seriously in heaven right now, but it is even more delicious with sugar and hot milk (the one with 1,5% fat, or letmælk as we call it in Denmark). The tea is orangish-brown when brewed. I will DEFINITELY buy this tea again, no doubt there!

Overview:

Appearance: Broken black tea leaves, not very broken, just a bit.
Dry tea-smell: Caramel (roasted sugar, butter and cream).
Color: Orangish-brown.
Brewed tea-smell: Caramel (less butter and cream, than in the dry leaves).
Taste: Smooth black tea and heavy caramel.

Bought this at Fox & Obel in Chicago on vacation. It was $12 for a box of 20 teabags, but I figured “what the heck” since I’d never tried this brand before. I need to give it another chance, but it certainly wasn’t worth $12, based on my first try. The teabags are muslin and look pretty fancy, but they’re not as full as UK teabags usually are. The caramel flavour was pretty weak, and the scent was pleasant but not amazing. Overall an okay cup of tea but definitely not anything to spend that much money on. I’ll see if the second try will change my mind (some point down the road)!

The smell is much stronger than the taste. I enjoyed this tea, but it didn’t really have a wow factor for me in terms of flavour.

Flavors: Caramel

I received some of this tea from QueenOfTarts in her stash sale. Thank you!

I really really really want to like Kusmi teas. I am not sure why, the tins maybe? I had Russian Breakfast #24 a long while ago and loved it so I have been trying some of their Russian flavored teas every since. Nothing has really hit me as that great. This one is the same and I think it is because I just do not like the base tea. This is another base that just taste like cardboard to me and because I don’t like the base whatever flavor is on top of it just gets jumbled up. Oh well. It is always good to find teas I do not care for. I am glad I got to try this one at least. I am still curious if I still like Russian Morning #24 or if it was just because I had just started drinking tea. Hopefully I will get to try that one again.

Good… but still leaves me on the hunt for the perfect caramel tea! It’s just not flavourful enough… At least, compared to most Kusmi teas, the black tea is not too bitter!

This sample came from the generous boychik. There are still many Kusmi teas I’d like to try, and this (along with the Bourbon Vanilla and Cinnamon) was near the top of my list. The leaves themselves are small and somewhat generic, and jet black in color. Dry scent is very mild caramel sweetness. I steeped a teaspoon of leaf for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Once steeped, the tea smells of wood and malt with a small amount of caramel. Hmm… I’m not sure how I feel about this one. On the one hand, I really like the flavor of the base tea. It’s somewhat woody and has a nice raisin note. On the other hand, the caramel flavoring is far too light for my tastes. It tastes more like a burnt sugar/brown sugar note found naturally in some teas. I would definitely like a bit more caramel here. So overall, tasty, but not really caramel to me.

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Caramel, Raisins, Sweet, Wood

boychik

Yes, it is mild. Maybe tiny bit of maple syrup?

Cameron B.

Oooh that sounds good! Too bad I don’t have any right now. :P

I love caramel so much. Whenever I buy a caramel-ribboned ice cream, I excavate all of the caramel out.

So naturally, a large tin of Kusmi Caramel tea seemed de rigueur a couple months back when I placed my first order with this company. No idea why it has taken me so long to try this one—well, except that I have too much tea!—but today’s unseasonably cool and depressingly gray and drizzly weather seemed like the perfect opportunity, so I brewed up a small pot.

The dried leaves smell incredibly wonderful—almost good enough to eat! The brewed liquor is reddish amber and tastes excellent with light cream added. I should have taken a sip before adulteration, but it was clear that this brew could not really be a caramel tea without adding cream!

Interestingly enough, while imbibing this tea I was reminded of Tazo Golden Monkey, which miraculously manages to taste like unsweetened caramel though it is an unflavored tea. I prefer the Golden Monkey, but this Kusmi Caramel is also very good, and I’ll surely enjoy the rest of my big fat tin!

(Blazing New Rating #3)

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

I popped this LARGE tin open and admired the beautiful packaging. It is wrapped up inside the tin. When I opened it up, the sweet, caramel aroma was intoxicating! It smells and looks so new, delicious, and fresh! This is exactly what I needed today as I am preparing for my specialty board exam. I am highly stressed, and this sugary, dessert tea is perfect. It isn’t bitter at all, but it does well with sugar and milk. Delicious!

Flavors: Caramel

So I feel pretty guilty because I have four teas backlogged that I really need to write reviews for still. But I’m drinking this one now so I figure I should probly just review it….even though trying to review something is unfriendly with my Ipad.
Imremember drinking this when I first got it in a swap from….shmiracles I think? But I guess I never got around to typing it down. I remember it being amazing and with that Rue La La promotion with Kusmi I was planning on buying this and maybe two others. But I had this and wanted to try it one more time to make sure it was as amazing as I remembered.
Unfortunately it really isn’t anymore. I’m pretty convinced that there’s something wrong with my tastebuds at this point because it seems that every tea that I drink now that I thought I remembered as amazing is…well…not so much anymore. Which makes me horribly depressed when I let myself think anout it and the cupboard of teas I’ve collected.
But back to the review. This one isn’t as caramelly as I remembered it being. It’s not even a particularly good black tea to me either. It’s just kinda meh overall. I’m wondering if I underleafed it (I used 1 1/2 tsp for like 9 oz ish of water for 2:30min)? Possibly but since that was the last of what I had, I have no way to give it another try.

Totally bummed that this isn’t what I remembered it being, but I guess it saves me $17. Or rather the $25 of the promotion. /sigh/

tea-sipper

I think my tastebuds changed recently too! Some of my teas aren’t tasting like I remember. I just looked it up… apparently they change every 7 years.

Shadowfall

Ugh. I hope that’s no my problem, though it sounds plausible. That’s my issue with allergies. Years ago I became allergic to alot of fruits/veggies that I was fine with before. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that this is my year to phase out of them because I absolutely detest being allergic to apparently every fruit I ever loved when I was younger, with very few exceptions.
I didn’t realize that it was the same with just general tastes. (Which also sucks, by the way). Lol.