Rhizome (Autumn 2017)

Pu Erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Cha Crusade

1 Tasting Note View all

From Kuura

RHIZOME is a raw (sheng) puer tea from a single area of forest in Menghai, Yunnan. The material comes from older tea trees growing in an amazing, lush natural environment, with no intervention except for picking and manual weeding.

The tea is noticeably thick in the mouth and with a strong sweetness that sticks around for a long time after drinking. The tea is mildly astringent due to its freshness but has a smooth and soft body compared to many teas, and is very pleasant to drink.

This tea will increase in strength and flavour over the coming months and years of ageing.

The tea was pressed in November 2017. Each cake is 200g.

About Kuura View company

1 Tasting Note

First pu’erh from Kuura – brewed Gongfu.

Dry, compressed leaf has a bit of a funk to it IMO – reminds me a bit of stinky socks. I expected some of that funk to transfer over into the steeped tea, but it wasn’t there at all. I guess that’s a relief!? However, I still wasn’t super enamored by the sheng. It’s not unpleasant at all and didn’t have any off notes – but despite a pleasant astringency I thought it tasted very thin and watery. Had a bit of soft sweetness/fruitiness, but not much. Had a nice body feel though. I guess for those chasing those body feels from sheng this could be nice – but I’m all about the flavour and I found this a touch lacking.

Will revisit after the sample has aged a bit more.

Photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/B14I7tYAvo0/