Hojicha Dark Roast

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Smoke, Campfire, Cedar, Coffee, Fish Broth, Mushrooms, Roasted, Sweet
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by pkmnnerdfighter

• “Wow, okay, this roast is much too dark for my taste. All I’m getting is smoke. So much so that it’s kind of overwhelming. It’s not necessarily a bad thing and I’m sure that if you’re into that sort...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea made me nervous when I opened the bag, because the only scent I got out of the dry leaf was mushrooms, which I despise. The moment they hit the warm kyusu, I began to smell smokiness,...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one was just too roasty for me. I enjoyed the Amber Roast, but knew this one might be a little rough after I smelled how roasty the comparatively lighter Amber one was. Yea, if the last one...” Read full tasting note

From Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms

Hojicha Dark Roast has a deep, smoky and slightly sweeter flavour with notes of vanilla and warm charcoal. As a dark roast, it is almost entirely caffeine-free and perfect for drinking at any time of the day or night.

Taste: Sweet
Body: Light
Origin: Wazuka
Cultivation: Unshaded
Processing: Steamed, Rolled, Dried, Roasted

About Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms View company

Wow, okay, this roast is much too dark for my taste. All I’m getting is smoke. So much so that it’s kind of overwhelming. It’s not necessarily a bad thing and I’m sure that if you’re into that sort of thing, you’ll love it, but this really isn’t for me.

Flavors: Smoke

This tea made me nervous when I opened the bag, because the only scent I got out of the dry leaf was mushrooms, which I despise. The moment they hit the warm kyusu, I began to smell smokiness, which deepened as it steeped to campfire, and finally into a charcoal taste in the cup. It’s almost Lapsang Souchong-esque, but instead of Pine, I taste Cedar.

It feels not unlike a french roast – almost overwhelmingly dark, but leaving a sweet finish. As it cooled, it tasted a little fishy as well? Finally leading back to that initial mushroom taste. Blergh.

Not bad overall, but this is a sample I doubt I’ll buy more of this sample, just because of my feelings about shrooms.

Flavors: Campfire, Cedar, Coffee, Fish Broth, Mushrooms

Boiling 1 min, 30 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This one was just too roasty for me. I enjoyed the Amber Roast, but knew this one might be a little rough after I smelled how roasty the comparatively lighter Amber one was. Yea, if the last one smelled a little charcoaly with nice roasted nuttiness to it, this one was just a charcoal blast, a little sour smelling as well. It tasted alright, and I did get some decent sweetness coming through, but I just couldn’t get past that roast. Good to know I guess! And some people might like this if they’re really into roast. Maybe it’ll be better in a few months when its had some more time to rest as well.

Flavors: Roasted, Sweet