Heavenly Drop Gyokuro

Green Tea
Green Tea
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Sipdown! (13 | 143) So… I haven’t had much gyokuro. For some reason, I’m very intimidated by it, even though I drink sencha all the time. I guess it’s because it’s supposed to be this precious...” Read full tasting note

From Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms

Heavenly Drop Gyokuro is a rare tea with a silky and rich umami flavor accompanied by hints of caramel and a lingering melon aroma. Its elegant and slender dark green needles create a vibrantly pale green liquor. Shaded from the sun for three weeks before its spring harvest, Heavenly Drop Gyokuro is a truly luxurious tea.

Taste: Umami
Body: Rich
Origin: Wazuka
Cultivation: Shaded
Processing: Lightly Steamed, Rolled, Dried

About Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms View company

It started with a single cup of tea. As the legend goes, our president Akihiro Kita, or Akky-san, visited Wazuka, Kyoto one fateful day. At the time, Akky-san was still a college student in search for life's calling. After trying the region's famous Ujicha (literally meaning tea from the Uji district), he immediately fell in love and his passion for green tea was born. He had finally found what he was looking for in that one simple cup of tea. After fifteen years of learning to master the art of growing tea from tea farmers in Wazuka, Kyoto Obubu Tea Farms was born and as they say, the rest is history. So what's an Obubu? Obubu is the Kyoto slang for tea. Here in the international department we call ourselves Obubu Tea. That's "Tea Tea" for the bilinguals. We love tea so much, we just had to have it twice in our name. Now Obubu means more than just tea to us. It means, family, friends, passion and the place we call home. More than just tea. Though the roots of Obubu stem from tea, it has become more than that over the years. Obubu is an agricultural social venture, operating with three (1) bring quality Japanese tea to the world (2) contribute to the local and global community through tea (3) revitalize interest in tea and agriculture through education.

1 Tasting Note

Sipdown! (13 | 143)

So… I haven’t had much gyokuro. For some reason, I’m very intimidated by it, even though I drink sencha all the time. I guess it’s because it’s supposed to be this precious thing, and I’m afraid of messing it up? I ’unno…

But today I said YES, let’s steep it up! This was a single sealed 5g packet leftover from an Obubu sampler I had. I used a 120-ish ml shiboridashi for this tea, and 140°F water.

Wow, it’s really a punch in the mouth! Such an intense vegetal and umami flavor, but without any bitterness at all. Very thick with a lovely honeyed sweetness, and also some sweet fruity notes. The first thing I thought of was maybe cooked pear? But I see that the description mentions melon, which I also agree with. There are also sweet and creamy veggies, like edamame and fresh garden peas, and a strong note of steamed spinach. Perhaps a hint of floral at the end?

This was just so yummy. Very thick, brothy and satisfying, yet also sweet and fruity. I have a few more gyokuro samples from Obubu, so I’ll have to give those a try soon!

Flavors: Broth, Cantaloupe, Creamy, Floral, Garden Peas, Honey, Honeydew, Melon, Pear, Peas, Smooth, Soybean, Spinach, Sweet, Thick, Umami, Vegetal

140 °F / 60 °C 1 min, 30 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Mastress Alita

The one time I tried gyokuro, I found it a little too seaweedy for me, at least on the first steep (subsequent steeps were better). But I really liked it cold steeped.

It sure gave me an energy boost, though! I only drank gyokuro stems today and was unable to take a nap, heh.

Kittenna

This sounds so good. My experiences with gyokuro have been pretty good as long as I’m very careful with time, temp, and leaf amount. Finicky, but rewarding!

Cameron B.

@Alita – I definitely felt a little rush of energy for a few minutes after sipping this! But nothing more than that, as I don’t tend to be affected by caffeine.

@Kittenna – Luckily I had a video from Obubu with parameters specifically for this tea! But they didn’t have any instructions for second or third steeps, so I’ll have to experiment with that more.