Thé du Hammam

Flavouring, Green Tea, Mallow Flowers, Rose, Sunflowers
Creamy, Floral, Sweet, Vanilla, Butter, Candy, Grass, Berries, Orange, Rose
Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “I believe this is the last of my samples to try from Le Palais de Thes. I do feel a slight sense of accomplishment but I haven’t been wildly crazy about most of these teas. When I was trying this I...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am actually far more awake this morning than I probably will be this afternoon, so I am leading my day with a green tea even though I don’t usually. This is one of the blends I was most intrigued...” Read full tasting note
  • “First thanks to Palais des thés for this rare oriental tea. Why rare would you ask…because for one time we have a very oriental tea without any mint ! And this is an exploit! Green date is really...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m a little tired and I need to open a new box of contacts. How I know this? As I squinted at my profile just now, I read, ‘All pets are off’ and wondered what the hell whoever had written it...” Read full tasting note

From Le Palais des Thes

Inspired by a Turkish recipe using green tea, Thé du Hammam is a fruity blend which evokes the fragrances used to perfume the hamman: roses, green dates, red fruit and orange flower water. Sprinkled with flower petals in the purest of eastern traditions, the tea’s extraordinary fragrance features a subtle combination of Chinese green tea, celebrated for its freshness and thirst-quenching properties, and rich fruit aromas.

About Le Palais des Thes View company

An exquisite flavored green tea. Light with balanced, nuanced flavors.

My mom picked some of this up at one of Le Palais des Thes’ NYC shops. This is my first time trying one of their teas, and I’m quite intrigued by the description of this blend in particular. I’ve never had tea flavored with either dates or orange blossom, and I’m quite curious to see how they’ll translate. Plus I love fruity and floral greens, especially iced in the summer.

This tea is quite fruity, in a rather generic way. I’m getting berries more than anything else, I think. I’m not tasting the rose, which is surprising since I usually find rose to be a strong flavor in teas. There’s a faint floral undertone, but it’s one I associate more with the orange blossom than with rose. I don’t taste anything I’d especially identify as date either, although there is a sweetness that is not unreminiscent of dates. I’m also noticing a faint vanilla undertone.

The base is nice – it’s quite light and neutral (in that it’s not too vegetal, seaweed-y, etc.), which is how I like my green bases. I’m not averse to stronger greens on their own, but when combined with fruits or florals (which are the profiles I go for in flavored greens) I find there’s too much of a sweet-savory flavor clash.

This tea reminds me a bit of Mariage Frères’ Bouddha Bleu, although I like this one quite a bit better. Both have strong, somewhat generic fruit flavors and hint at vanilla, but fortunately this combination isn’t translating to bubblegum here the way it does in MF BB.

I’m drinking this iced (brewed hot, then chilled), since it’s too hot to do otherwise at the moment. I’ll certainly be trying it hot when the weather allows though. I’m also thinking this might be a good candidate for cold-brewing.

the aroma is a mouthwatering mélange of dates & honey…when sipped, a truly delicious, fruity floral golden green tea, sprinkled with rose petals. i also get a definite strawberry note in this, so that takes care of the ‘red fruit’ at least in part. on the whole, no one note prevails save maybe the perfume imparted by a rich honey-date liqueur, but make no mistake, this isn’t thick or overly sweet. as Darjeeling can be likened to the champagne of black tea, so this is for green. taken without sugar, the infusion is dainty, elegant & graceful; the tartness of the fruits & green tea cut the otherwise gourmand aroma with astringent pragmatism, saving it from becoming what bitter purists might call a ¡confection! i imagine with honey this would be decadent. looking forward to try it that way & seeing this transform from Turkish delicacy into delight.

Very light, crisp, and refreshing. I really enjoy this tea iced. The green tea is great for people who aren’t necessarily big fans of the tea’s more verdant varieties. Love the flowers!

Very refreshing tea for daily use, can be drank warm or cold!

A beautifully stunning, complex tea. Smells softly of vanilla and something floral (like cornflowers, not jasmine) and sweet. I love this tea. Love like a delicate flower that isn’t too cloying and sweet, yet still magically dances in the breeze joyfully.

Yes, it’s that good.

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Sweet, Vanilla

Evol Ving Ness

Clearly, I need this tea.

Wicked cool finding this at Winners. They had quite a few of theirs available but in the end, this was the only one that seemed worthwhile. I won’t be rating this just yet seeing that, in the end, I do have the flu and was luckily sent home today since a co-worker so happened to be scheduled to come in for a shorter mid-shift and was ok with taking my closing hours. All of those times I covered for everyone else has paid off! I insisted on staying if she had plans tonight but she reassured me she didn’t and didn’t mind. Phew, I’ve gotten worse throughout the evening with body aches and fatigue, sorer throat, etc, so I couldn’t imagine being there still.

The dry leaf smells mostly of red fruits, and quite frankly, this aligns with the taste. Granted, my tastebuds are currently compromised, but I bought this before I got sick and it even smelled mostly of red fruits then, as well. Maybe a soft rose note scent-wise, but I’m definitely not getting that in the flavour.

It’s nice to experience a green tea that doesn’t go bitter extremely easily either.

Evol Ving Ness

Wow! I need to troll Winner’s a bit more regularly.

Maddy Barone

oh, man. glad your co-worker could finish your shift. Take care of yourself.

Fjellrev

Yeah, I found it last week so maybe your local store still has some, Evol? Worth checking out.

Thanks, Maddy!

ashmanra

Hope you are feeling better!

Fjellrev

Thank you, ashmanra! Seems like a lot of Steepsterites have been caught up in this blasted flu season so I hope no one else here gets sick.

I love it!
¡Me encanta!

Not sure how I forgot about this cold steeping in the fridge… but, I forgot.
This steeped for over 30 hours!
However, for whatever reason this taste creamy with a hint of berry. I quite fancy it.

I have never used the word fancy in a tasting note so now I feel more accomplished today.
The end.

I bought this tea before Christmas from my local Home Goods, which frequently has an amazing selection of bagged and loose tea. I just got home from the city, and I decided to make this in my new tea tumbler. I got it from World Market on sale. I had been wanting to get it for a while. It’s very similar but smaller to the tumbler from Mandala. As I’m writing this, I’m listening to my parent’s dog patter around the house. The dog is now living with me and my grandmother as my sister just found out she has pet allergies. Back on topic. This tea is really nice. It’s a very light green tea, accompanied by a floral taste. I really enjoy floral teas, so this is perfect for me. I can definitely taste the orange flower and rose. This makes me really want to try the The du Hammam black blend. Unfortunately, I really don’t care for the price, so I doubt I’ll buy any. I’ll savor this while it lasts.

Flavors: Berries, Orange, Rose

The Cookie Lady

Ooooo I didn’t know Home Goods sold tea! I’ll be checking mine out this weekend then! Thanks for the tip :)

OMara

My Home Goods is combined with a TJMax. I don’t know if that makes a difference. The tea, bagged and loose, is near the coffee.