2008 Red Robe

Oolong Tea
Brown Sugar, Dark Chocolate, Molasses, Raspberry, Roasted, Roasted nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by derk
Boiling 4 g 3 oz / 93 ml

• “Thank you derk for this tea. Aged oolong? Well, I am interested in! I made quite fast rinse, but not so fast to call it flash. Then I let the leaves rest, for maybe 5 minutes. And then first...” Read full tasting note
  • “Haha! I misrepresented the number of teas in my cupboard the other day. I probably have another 20-30 from a Liquid Proust group buy in late 2018. Is this really the first one I’m sampling from...” Read full tasting note

From Liquid Proust Teas

Product description not available yet.

About Liquid Proust Teas View company

Thank you derk for this tea. Aged oolong? Well, I am interested in!

I made quite fast rinse, but not so fast to call it flash. Then I let the leaves rest, for maybe 5 minutes. And then first steeps. First one was 30 seconds long and… yeah it brought dark chocolate notes. And raspberry jam. Both pronounced in aroma as well in taste. There is as well roasted flavour, some sweet – almost sugary notes (but not white sugar), little bit of mollases. Smooth, no astringency there.

2nd steep was 45 seconds long. It was very similar, maybe the chocolate was bit stronger.
It is nice tea, although, probably, not my most favourite.

3rd, 50 seconds – roasted nuts aroma came. So does roasted taste. It’s nice!

I stopped counting time. But made several more steeps. Not a single one was bad. All of them. Wonderful experience. No rating so far.

Book pairing: Kalsarikärni: The Finnish path to relaxation. Here, a Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Pantsdrunk-Kalsarik%C3%A4nni-Finnish-Path-Relaxation/dp/1982528990

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Dark Chocolate, Molasses, Raspberry, Roasted, Roasted nuts

2 g 3 OZ / 85 ML

Haha! I misrepresented the number of teas in my cupboard the other day. I probably have another 20-30 from a Liquid Proust group buy in late 2018. Is this really the first one I’m sampling from the Aged Oolong category? I was going to post this under Random Steepings, but I figured Liquid Proust needs some more cred on this site, especially considering his devotion to the leaf and the enthusiasm to spread teas aimed for the Eastern market far and wide.

Dry, warm and rinsed leaf aromas are fairly strong with dark chocolate with raspberry filling, modest roast, caramel, brown toast, dark brown sugar, hints of cherry and red currant. Once brewed, the aroma is mellow with berries, spice and cocoa. The taste is mostly woody and somewhat drying but there’s more going on than I can articulate. Not much change throughout the infusions, of which I was able to pull eight or nine. Late in the session I let a cup cool and a pleasant mineral sweetness came forward with salivation. The spice tone was also more noticeable, while a light unripe peach aftertaste did its thing. Roast notes were not at the forefront with this tea, more of a muted background deal.

I like it even though nothing about it stands out in particular. It’s mellow and calming enough to be a daily evening drinker without much attention having to be paid.

Song pairing: David Bowie — Heroes