Amanatsu (Sweet Summer Tangerine) Oolong

Fruit Oolong Blend
Blood orange, Floral, Orange, Orange Blossom, Pineapple, Smooth, Sweet, Thick
Edit tea info Last updated by CHAroma

• “I’ve almost hit 10,000 words on NaNoWriMo and the 3rd day isn’t even over… I’ve decided I need to cut myself off and cool down with some tea reviews! I also can’t sleep, and writing about tea is...” Read full tasting note
  • “Mmmmmmm – that is all I have for now … going to go brew a tub of this and soak in it sipping down the level until I can refill – think I have enough leaf? Ahhhh Glorious! A Tea from my Lupicia...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m surprised I am the first to log this tea. I suppose it is due to how many teas Lupicia carries, there are just so many to choose from. I got this on a whim with my order after reading tasting...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yet another Lupicia oolong sample thanks to Alphakitty! This one smelled delicious but didn’t pan out in the taste so much. There was just something missing… I wanted more sweetness, more buttery...” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

Native to Japan, the amanatsu resembles an orange but has a flavor more like that of a tangerine. It is popular because of its sweet flavor and is a delicious accompaniment to fragrant and floral Taiwanese oolong. This blend also makes great iced tea.

About Lupicia View company

I’ve almost hit 10,000 words on NaNoWriMo and the 3rd day isn’t even over… I’ve decided I need to cut myself off and cool down with some tea reviews! I also can’t sleep, and writing about tea is pretty soothing.

I think this is the tea I meant to order when I got their Jasmin Mandarin last time. Not, you know, exactly—but I thought the Jasmin Mandarin had actual mandarin orange in it and was hoping for a light citrusy green. Sadly it’s just a jasmine tea (which I ended up giving to my mom!) but this is essentially what I was looking for. It’s an oolong not a green tea, but that’s even better! I love oolongs.

In the bag this smells SUPER overpowering, and fake. But I trust Lupicia, and brewed it’s very light. Japanese Tangerines are sweet but also a bit bitter, like marmalade, and that transfers over to the tea. It’s very lightly citrusy, with some floral qualities from the oolong downplaying the “bite.” It’s one of the most refreshing blends I have ever had, and I bet this would be perfect for a hot summer day. It’s good all year round though, since I associate clementines and similar fruits (like tangerine!) with Christmas. I think this would make a really good brine for a nice holiday chicken actually! Mmm, maybe with some cloves.

(Also, is it just me or do the tangerine bits/candies in the photo look like gummy bears?)

Nik

It’s not just you, they totally look like gummy bears! Being very sensitive to bitterness, I’m a bit worried that it wouldn’t be downplayed enough by the floral influence, but jasmine+something orangey is a hard combination to resist. Adding to my shopping list. :D

Mercuryhime

Sounds yummy!

Mercuryhime

Also, wow! 10,000 words in three days!

Angrboda

Wow, you’re doing crazy well!

Azzrian

They TOTALLY look like gummie bears! I think that every time I visit the lupicia site. LOL

Fjellrev

w00t congrats on hitting 10000. :D

A Tea from my Lupicia Happy Bag.

Kasumi no Chajin

can’t wait to order this one!

JC

Sweet, summer and a citrus fruit…. = watery mouth here.

Azzrian

got three good steeps out of it before I wanted to try another. Really good stuff.

TeaBrat

Now you make me want to go to Lupicia!

Shmiracles

i’ve added this to my shopping list. there’s something ethereal about it and it speaks to me.

Azzrian

I agree Shmiracles it feels that way when you sip it!

I’m surprised I am the first to log this tea. I suppose it is due to how many teas Lupicia carries, there are just so many to choose from. I got this on a whim with my order after reading tasting notes about other citrus and lemon oolongs.

I love watching oolongs unfurl. The tiny little pearl leaves unfurl into huge one inch wide leaves that are at least an inch long. Such beauties. And completely unfurled during the one and a half minute steep.

Ahhh….this tea certainly has sweet tangerine flavor along with a nice darker oolong base. Sweet and vegetal, slightly creamy and totally tangerine. This tastes very natural, not artificial at all. I’m so happy I purchased a pouch of this! YUM!

Yet another Lupicia oolong sample thanks to Alphakitty!

This one smelled delicious but didn’t pan out in the taste so much. There was just something missing… I wanted more sweetness, more buttery floral notes from the oolong. The light tangerine was nice at the beginning of the sip but otherwise it was barely present. I’m not sure if this one suffered from storage in a plastic bag or what, but it wasn’t quite as good as some of the others from Lupicia that I’ve tried.

Kasumi no Chajin

I LOVE this one, and how it is not overdone.

Loose
Appearance: med dark green knobby oolong, yellow bits of citrus, reminiscent of gummy bears in appearance.
Aroma when Dry: Sweet, fruity, orange/tangalo citrus
After water is first poured: candied tangerine
At end of steep: orange, tangerine, hinting at grass
Tea liquor:
At end of steep: hinting at green
Staple? yes, Possible Spring, summer seasonal
Preferred time of day: afternoons
Taste:
At first?: Tangy, tangerine, slight smooth finish
As it cools?: notes open up, and lighten, a vegital earthy note surfaces
Additives used (milk, honey, sugar etc)? No
Lingers? Yes, light citrus, hinting at smooth crea,
Will revisit chilled, want to try mixed with hibiscus too.

Second Steep(4 min):
Aroma: Tangerine scented broth
Taste: light tangerine notes, brothy texture, slight salt note
As it cools? gets a woody, foresty slightly roasted texture
Lingers? yes, the salt note, and broth note closes

Third steep (5min)
Tangerine scented, flavored water

Wow, this is the 2nd lupicia tea I’ve had and I can just say this… their oolongs are SUPER AWESOME. I mean, this is like top quality here. I barely even taste the tangerine – I could just drink this as a green oolong. =O! I need to buy more of their teas, me liking oolong and all…
Thanks Meghann!!

Batrachoid

I’ve wondered about this tea. How did you prepare it?

Ellen

I steeped it in a glass teapot without using any sort of strainer. I like doing it this way with oolongs because it allows the leaves to open up and everything. I used almost boiling water and steeped for not much more than 2 minutes. =)

I received this in a swap a while ago I believe from Meghann so thank you!! :) This one smells very good! There are small yellow-white jelly-looking globs and slightly curled up, large, dark green leaves. The scent is light and fruity.

Upon steeping, the leaves unfurled into large, beautiful ones. The liquor was light yellow. Light floral scent. The taste… wow. I was very surprised once I tried it. It is very flavorful yet it is a light type of flavor. I’d say it overpowers the scent, which is generally unusual for me. It tastes like a light tangerine or citrus but the floral tones of the oolong stand out. How delightful!! I’ll have more steeps thank you!

This is a very light tea even by the standard of Taiwanese oolong. Love the floral oolong base. There’s a mild citrus flavour in my cup which resembles tangerine candy. Would be delicious when iced!

Home – 12:00 PM

I only have a few teas left in my cupboard that I haven’t written about! I should really count them, so I can start doing a countdown and further encourage myself to finish. Full disclosure: there are some teas I’m not considering to be part of my cupboard for this purpose. I have a pile of unopened straight tea samples from Teavivre, Yunomi, Taiwan Tea Crafts… And then there are swap samples as well.

But to explain why I’m not counting those – I’m really trying to taste all of the teas in my cupboard because I want to determine which ones to keep and which to rehome to my fellow Steepsters. So samples don’t really come into the picture there since they’re generally only a cup or two anyway, and I’m not likely to feel the need to get rid of a straight tea from any of the quality suppliers mentioned above.

So once I’m done tasting all of these full-size teas, I’ll likely dive into a pile of swap and purchased samples. ❤

Anyway, on to the tea! This is another fruit-flavored oolong from Lupicia, which happens to be the type of tea that they do the very best (in my opinion). This tea isn’t one of their year-round collection, I believe I purchased it during their “iced teas of the world” or some such event this past summer. It looks quite similar to their Melon Oolong, even including the little candy drops mixed in with the rolled oolong.

Yummy, of course I like this one, too. It’s perhaps a bit more subtle than their other fruity oolongs, which isn’t a bad thing. The oolong base is smooth and mild, with a silken texture and a little floral hit at the end. The tangerine is light and quite acidic, almost making me think of pineapple or perhaps blood orange.

It’s quite good. It reminds me more of one of their pouchong-style fruit oolongs because of the somewhat strong floral notes.

P.S. – Lupicia has just released their holiday teas for the season!

Flavors: Blood orange, Floral, Orange, Orange Blossom, Pineapple, Smooth, Sweet, Thick

Helena

I can never get my stash down :D There’s always a new tea around the corner that I just have to try :D

Cameron B.

But of course! It’s always a perpetual “stashdown”… ;)

TreeGal

This sounds good! I hope they offer it again! As to the “try them all and figure out what to pass on to others” thing, yeah, I can relate. And yes, there’s always a new one to try, lol!

My mom likes to pick a tea out of the book for me and she always seems to grab the ones I wouldn’t reach for myself. I guess that is good though because that way I am not taking what I like and leaving the non-exciting flavors for last.

Anyways, when I opened this, it smelled deliciously like a fresh, juicy tangerine. Unfortunately, I am not a lover of oolongs or citrus teas so despite the smell, my excitement levels were low. However, sipping on this now, it actually isn’t too bad. I am certainly getting tangerine. Bright, refreshing tangerine. I could see this being great iced for those who reach for citrus flavors. As for my preferences, I don’t think I’d stock this because I just wouldn’t reach for it often but I can appreciate that it is a rather nice cup of tea. 277.

Anlina

This sounds pretty awesome to me. I’m really enjoying reading your notes on less popular Lupicia teas.

VariaTEA

Thank you. I am trying to do them justice since they don’t have many reviews.

VariaTEA

Plus, the book was mostly teas I never tried before so it’s exciting to get to try so many new things.

Kittenna

This sounds interesting! Happy to just have that single cup’s worth though. That’s all I want of most teas.