Tochiotome Black

Black Tea, Flavor, Freeze Dried Strawberries, Strawberry Leaves
Astringent, Candy, Jam, Malt, Strawberry, Sweet, Tart, Smooth, Floral
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Sipdown (248) Thank you Cameron B for sharing this with me, especially now that Lupicia is not as available as it once was. I love strawberry flavoring so I was super interested in this tea....” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! I realized I neglected to look through my Lupicia tins the other day when looking for sipdown candidates. Because of their unusual flat shape, I keep them stacked on the back shelf in...” Read full tasting note
  • “The small balls of tea resemble Irish Breakfast and for that reason I was very wary in steeping this one as Irish Breakfast steeps fast. Go over and it becomes bitter quickly. Thus far I’ve tried...” Read full tasting note
  • “Tried brewing it with two spoons of tea instead of one, with regular milk. Was too strong & became slightly bitter. Perhaps my stuffy nose was interfering with the taste the first time.” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

This seasonal strawberry flavored tea contains a strong, robust Kenyan black tea base with freeze-dried strawberries. Boasting a refreshing, sweet and tart flavour, Tochiotome can be enjoyed as is or with milk. Available for a limited time only.

About Lupicia View company

Sipdown (248)

Thank you Cameron B for sharing this with me, especially now that Lupicia is not as available as it once was. I love strawberry flavoring so I was super interested in this tea. Unfortunately I don’t love the black tea bases Lupicia uses. This is less offensive as some of their other bases since it is quite malty but that maltiness is also combined with a slightly drying brassiness. That brassiness interferes with the jammy strawberry notes that could be quite good if not for the base. It was still fun to try and made for a nice enough cup of tea, though I think the one cup is enough for me.

In other news, I got the KFC and it was terrible. So much build up for such a shit meal. Now I am debating if I want to go visit my sister this weekend or if I should stay in my apartment. The issue is I need to study, in theory, and it is a matter whether I would get work done there or not. With that said, I should probably get back to work.

2097 tasting notes

Sipdown! I realized I neglected to look through my Lupicia tins the other day when looking for sipdown candidates. Because of their unusual flat shape, I keep them stacked on the back shelf in the cupboard, so they often get overlooked. But I found a few more sipdowns-to-be, like this one!

I have to say, I quite like this one. The strawberry is a mix of sweet candy, like those little hard candies in the strawberry-printed wrapper that have liquid in the center, and the tarter freeze-dried variety. The two together do a nice job of covering all of the bases. The base tea isn’t terribly remarkable, but it does add a nice body to the blend, along with a tad bit of astringency. There are also strawberry leaves in this tea, not sure if they contribute anything or not.

I don’t know whether this will be offered on the US website. I believe it was a summer seasonal tea, so I guess I’ll have to wait and see! Luckily, I still have some of the green version.

There’s also a new tea called “Fraisier” that claims to taste of strawberry and cake… Clearly this requires further investigation! :D

Flavors: Astringent, Candy, Smooth, Strawberry, Tart

The small balls of tea resemble Irish Breakfast and for that reason I was very wary in steeping this one as Irish Breakfast steeps fast. Go over and it becomes bitter quickly. Thus far I’ve tried it hot and cold. But I like how it smells the most. Harhar. All joking aside I think I enjoy it most when it is cold steeped. The strawberry flavor is definitely the main attraction but the black tea helps really round it out nicely.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 150 OZ / 4436 ML

Don’t pay attention to that first review of mine – must’ve been crazy when I typed it. I take it back. This is super juicy fruity strawberry deliciousness. I mean, Strawberry Quik??? What was I thinking? The only thing I still agree on is the score. I loved it then, and I still love it now. Such a wonderful strawberry black. Lupicia scores again!

Flavors: Strawberry

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Mikumofu

Haven’t heard of this one before, and as a fan of strawberries and Lupicia teas I’ll have to try it!

Sakura Sushi

It’s a limited, seasonal tea so get it while you can!

TheLastDodo

I have the green version! Yum!

The strawberry scent is very pleasant, very mild – it’s similar to the strawberry champagne version. Ended up choosing the black over green because I thought adding milk to it would be a nice touch. Something about this makes me think it’d be nice to make iced & spike it with shochu or something.