Apple Barley

Food Tea
Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Backlog from last Monday. Bleh, I don’t like the fishiness of the barley teas. I ended up adding sugar and milk to the second infusion and that was better, but I just don’t like that weird smell....” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown (118)! Gonna try and get a few more reviews in from my queue; in less than an hour Tre’s four best friends from highschool are gonna be showing up for the night to visit and I doubt I’ll be...” Read full tasting note
  • “The dry leaf of this smelled so strongly of juicy apple cider that I was expecting a cup of fruity deliciousness. However, as soon as the water hit the tea bags, the scent of barley took over....” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

Aromatic six-rowed barley produced in Japan flavored with fresh apples.

About Lupicia View company

Backlog from last Monday.

Bleh, I don’t like the fishiness of the barley teas. I ended up adding sugar and milk to the second infusion and that was better, but I just don’t like that weird smell. It really overwhelms any apple flavouring otherwise present here. Kind of disappointing, but not entirely unexpected.

Sipdown (118)!

Gonna try and get a few more reviews in from my queue; in less than an hour Tre’s four best friends from highschool are gonna be showing up for the night to visit and I doubt I’ll be able to focus a whole lot. It’s gonna be such a “nerdy frat boy” environment, what with there being five guys in their early twenties, who haven’t seen each other in months, in such close proximity…

Thanks VariaTEA for passing on a sachet of this one! It’s not one of the barley teas I ever found making its way into a cart for a mock order (ie. Pineapple or Watermelon) but I was curious about it, and having now tried Pineapple Barley from Lupicia I think it’s worthwhile to compare the two see if some of the things I observed with Pineapple (aka FISH SMELL) are consistent with this one.

I think Barley tea is gonna forever remind me at least a little bit of coffee; that’s definitely what I imagined I was first tasting when I had a sip of this one – it’s just really, really roasty and strong. And I suppose I don’t drink coffee enough to really differentiate in the first place. Blah. Not that it reminding me of coffee is really a bad thing, per say?

One definite positive thing about this one is that it doesn’t smell OR taste like fish at all. Hooray! So, in that aspect this far surpasses the pineapple barley. The downside? Compared to pineapple this is far less juicy/flavoured – yes, I tasted apple – a more supple red apple flavour like a Gala perhaps, but it was so much lighter than I was led to believe it would be after tasting Pineapple first.

I guess I’d call this average overall. Since I didn’t have high expectations in the first place I certainly wasn’t let down at all – it kind of just met my mild expectations for what they were? Uh, mild?

AllanK

I wonder what Barley tea tastes like but as I am allergic will probably never know.

OMGsrsly

It’s really similar to the roasted buckwheat teas, AllanK, except with more of a chicory/coffee flavour. I haven’t seen a flavoured buckwheat tea, sadly. But the plain one (I liked the H&S one!) is really nice with milk and sugar.

The dry leaf of this smelled so strongly of juicy apple cider that I was expecting a cup of fruity deliciousness. However, as soon as the water hit the tea bags, the scent of barley took over. Tastewise, this is like 98% barley and 2% apple cider which is not necessarily a bad thing but it is also rather disappointing given the scent of the tea bag. We’ll have to see how the cold brew goes…