Rosé Royal

Flavors, Indian Black Tea, Sugar Crystals
Astringent, Muscatel, Perfume, Rose, Strawberry, Bitter, Candy, Floral, Champagne, Malt, Smooth, Sweet, Fruity
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

• “One of 3 free Lupicia samples. Sounded interesting “Black tea blend scented with strawberries and sparkling wine.” This one had more body than the other Lupicia I’ve tried, more flavor. The tea bag...” Read full tasting note
  • “Home – 1:00 PM The Great Cupboard Excavation Untasted teas remaining: 19 Yay, I’m under 20 teas remaining! :D It’s interesting to me that Lupicia seems to be rather obsessed with wine-flavored...” Read full tasting note
  • “A Berry Frui-tea July! This is a sampler I picked up on the cheap from Lupicia’s last mottainai sale. The dry leaf smells great, very sweet and fruity. Looking forward to this one! I steeped this...” Read full tasting note
  • “This came as this months sample…appropriate considering Valentine’s day. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I’ve drunk wine, the times I’ve had it, didn’t like any of it. I do however,...” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

Rose Royal is an elegant black tea blend scented with strawberries and sparkling wine. This is one of Lupicia’s signature flavored teas.

Ingredients: Indian black tea, sugar (sugar, red 3), flavorings

Steeping Instructions:
Amount of Tea Leaves: 0.10oz(2.5-3g)
Water Temprature: Boiling Water
Brewing Time: 2.5-3min.

About Lupicia View company

One of 3 free Lupicia samples. Sounded interesting “Black tea blend scented with strawberries and sparkling wine.” This one had more body than the other Lupicia I’ve tried, more flavor. The tea bag smelled really good, I can smell the fruit, not too much of the rose at this point. The liquor was a medium-dark amber and it was a little astringent (pleasantly), and very smooth and warm mouth and throat feel. It has a lasting finish.
I liked the base, the muscatel and strawberry notes, but there was a quite a bit of rose in it for my tastes. Did it knock it out of balance? I don’t think so. I think it is more just my aversion to a strong rose flavor. I can handle a little, but not a lot.
One thing though, the aroma of the rose was pleasant and quite “perfumey” but in a fresh rose garden kind of way… And in no way, shape or form did it smell like the cheap rose perfume some people wear (if you wear that type, sorry lol). Other than the strong rose, it was a very nice cup of tea and good 2nd and 3rd steep.

Recommended for those who don’t mind rose.

Sachet in 130 ml, boiling water for 3 steeps 2.5m, 3m, 3.5m.

Flavors: Astringent, Muscatel, Perfume, Rose, Strawberry

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 4 OZ / 130 ML

Home – 1:00 PM

The Great Cupboard Excavation
Untasted teas remaining: 19

Yay, I’m under 20 teas remaining! :D

It’s interesting to me that Lupicia seems to be rather obsessed with wine-flavored teas. They must half a dozen different ones that I can think of off the top of my head, in addition to a few more muscat or grape-flavored ones. It’s very unusual.

Anyway, this one is a strawberry and sparkling wine flavored black tea. I adore the big sugar crystals that they’ve added, they remind me of quartz and are so pretty. I don’t generally approve of tea with added sweeteners, but honestly I don’t taste the sugar at all in the steeped tea. I think they’re too big and hard to really dissolve much.

This is definitely an Indian black tea base. It’s got some bitterness and astringency using my usual steep parameters. I feel there’s possibly some Darjeeling in here, and I did see some green among the spent leaves.

It’s definitely got some muscatel notes, which does make it seem wine-ish. It’s a bit sparkling on the tongue. The strawberry is definitely candy-like. There’s also quite a bit of floral presence, and it’s too much for me.

This will definitely be one to pass along, as it does end up quite floral and the muscatel notes only accent that even more. It becomes almost perfumey to me.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Candy, Floral, Muscatel, Perfume, Rose, Strawberry

Mastress Alita

This is one I picked up a bag of on my recent trip after I had a sampler teabag of it from Lupicia because I really loved it. I haven’t been able to drink alcohol in (quite literally) decades due to chronic migraine (trigger) so when I find a tea with a really good sparkling wine note, it brings back such nostalgia to my tongue I get a have to have it! sensation. That said, I don’t normally like that ones that are grapey in the fakey Kool-Aid grape-flavor sort of way (because I have tried a few that came off like that) but don’t mind fresh grape/muscatal sort of notes. I did like the strawberry champagne sort of flavor of this one, and probably would’ve liked it more on a green or white base than black, but ah well, can’t have everything.

I steeped this one for three minutes and got a very auburn cuppa, with a very nice aroma that was a little malty and very rich in strawberries and a bit sweet, reminding me a bit of strawberries and cream. The flavor of the tea was so nice! The black tea still had a malty flavor, with a very subtle bite, presenting as a stronger black tea, but it didn’t overpower the flavoring in the tea; likewise, the flavoring in the tea was not so overwhelming that you didn’t get a nice read on the base tea. The tea had the slightest astringency at the back of the tongue, but overall was quite smooth for an Indian black blend. The tea had a very noticable champagne flavor, with that sort of bubbly dry alcohol twinge, and a very sweet, rich strawberry flavor; probably one of the nicest strawberry flavors I’ve tasted in a tea. The way the champagne and strawberry notes blend is really nice. It’s a very different sort of flavor for a black tea, and I really enjoy it.

Flavors: Astringent, Champagne, Malt, Smooth, Strawberry, Sweet

This came as this months sample…appropriate considering Valentine’s day.

I can count on 1 hand the number of times I’ve drunk wine, the times I’ve had it, didn’t like any of it. I do however, enjoy many teas that have a wine like flavor, though have tended to get tired of them somewhat quick. This tea, while I’ve enjoyed the cup, I highly doubt I would be inclined to buy more…I mean having more samples around would be terrific, but sadly Lupicia isn’t interested in selling their samples.

Tastes: Strawberry, hint of grape, and a brief aftertaste of wine.

I enjoy the sweet fruity flavors but didn’t get the rose I was looking for. I like to brew it with rose hips and it is a delight. It is an especially pretty tea to brew if that is something you care about.

This was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting more earthy and rose flavors but instead was bombarded by fruit and rose. Both in scent and in taste. The fruity essence is quite a bit more then expected.

I’ve brewed this a few times since it came in the mail, but haven’t written a proper review yet. Maybe my expectations were too high due to the description (and how long it’s been on my wishlist), and there just isn’t much to say. It’s a nice flavored black tea, though a little too sweet—I can see pink sugar crystals in the mix before steeping. The base is decent and smooth, as is always the case with Lupicia. Not really extraordinary, but not bad either.

At this point, I’ve tried enough of their repertoire to know which teas are my favorites, so I won’t need to do as much hit-or-miss exploration. And summer means more barley teas!

Thanks for this one, Ost! A lovely tea. Delicious black tea base with plenty of champagne and strawberry flavors, both in equal measure. The strawberry flavor is actually leaning a bit to the strawberry candy type (rather than fresh), but I don’t mind it. Definitely an accurate description of this tea! I tend to really like Lupicia blends that I’ve tried.

Flavors: Champagne, Strawberry

A wonderful black tea with balanced rose and strawberry flavours. Personally, I find it perfect as it is. Sweet without being cloying, and smooth aftertaste.

1 tsp 150 OZ / 4436 ML

I’m terribly hungover from New Years festivities so naturally turned to a tea sample that I knew would taste the closest to a fruity wine. I’m a glutton for punishment. I was lying down while drinking this (may or may not affect the taste/my general authority). The predominant flavors are grape and strawberry. Super smooth and flavorful. Would recommend for those looking to purge their bodies of the sins from nights past.

200 °F / 93 °C