Jasmin Mandarin Special Grade

Green Tea
Jasmine Special Grade Green Tea, Natural Flavours
Astringent, Bitter, Floral, Jasmine, Nectar, Sweet, Citrus, Green Beans, Hot hay, Orange Zest, Tangy, Vegetal
Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

• “Another tea from my swap with Becky. I actually at one point thought the “mandarin” in the name of this tea referred to mandarin oranges, not the fact that it was Chinese. But it’s just a straight...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is the only Jasmin they have at the Lupica in SF. I haven’t seen like the regular, non-special grade Jasmin teas there? Well, I always make sure to grab a bag of this whenever I visit the city...” Read full tasting note
  • “The smell of this tea in dry form is SO STRONG. I was terrified it would be undrinkable perfume water, but brewing did take a lot of the edge off. I want to see this blended with a fruit/citrus...” Read full tasting note
  • “After several FAILS this morning, I went to an old friend. I love how fragrant and light this tea is. It’s very delicate, and just wonderful. I only have 2 more bags and then I have to switch to...” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

Jasmin Mandarin Special Grade is the highest-grade Jasmine tea made with Chinese green tea leaves. Its spring breeze-like aroma is quite unforgettable. Many people become a fan once they try it for the first time.

Brewing Directions:

Amount of Tea Leaves: 0.10oz(2.5-3g)
Water Temprature: Boiling Water
Brewing Time: 1.5-2min.

About Lupicia View company

Another tea from my swap with Becky. I actually at one point thought the “mandarin” in the name of this tea referred to mandarin oranges, not the fact that it was Chinese. But it’s just a straight up jasmine green tea, which is fine. It occurs to me that I should try this hot as well, but I cold brewed it for my cup today.

I like jasmine green tea cold brewed, but it can get too strong and bitter very quickly for some reason, so you really have to watch it. At 8 hours, this bordered on too strong but it was ok in the end. Nice and jasminey, not-too-grassy green tea. It’s simple, but it works.

Iced

Well, I always make sure to grab a bag of this whenever I visit the city because it’s definitely one of my favourites! It re-steeps really well also. I think I’m on my third or fourth cup? I like my green teas with a very veeeery light flavour so I guess that’s why..

The smell of this tea in dry form is SO STRONG. I was terrified it would be undrinkable perfume water, but brewing did take a lot of the edge off. I want to see this blended with a fruit/citrus flavor to balance out the floral. I like floral teas, but this is really close to the edge for me!

I only have 2 more bags and then I have to switch to the non-special grade for a bit. Not sure what the difference is there, but that’s what they had last time I placed an order.

Some teas speak to you immediately, for good or ill, while others take their time revealing themselves as you drink. This one talked to me loud and clear with the very first sip, and I knew that we were going to be friends.

This isn’t one of the more delicate jasmine teas I’ve tried but the jasmine manages not to overwhelm the tea, just the same. The jasmine is quite strong in the aftertaste, and there’s a hint of astringency lurking alongside it, too.

There’s something very warm and comforting about this tea that really goes well with being safe and dry on a cool, wet night.

Y’know — I have never had a Jasmine tea until today. I needed something soothing, I suppose, so I reached for this in my continued to be disorganized mess of a Lupicia order, and I liked this. It was super relaxing, calming, and that’s what I super need sometimes. Words aren’t coming out greatly today. I just want to say this is a positive drink. I would totally restock this once I finish the other nine tea bags.

God, I love Lupicia.

Abby Noelle

Only two more weeks for me to order Lupicia..lol

Crystal O.

I’m pulling for you.

Got this as a free sample. I liked it. It was a very nice cup of Jasmin green tea, but I didn’t really get any of the Mandarin flavor :(. It pretty much tasted like most other jasmine teas I have tasted. Regardless it was a decent cup of tea.

After trying the Jasmine Silver Needles from Adagio I had to explore Jasmine tea more thoroughly. Man, this one is great. Lupicia in San Francisco has a batch of these with an expiry date in a few months, so they said it will only stay fresh for about 6 months – I think I can finish this off in a few weeks :)

This tea is very nice – the strong Jasmine smell which some people don’t like I think is damn awesome, and I’m keen to grab another cup. This one seems to re-steep well, I’m actually just about to make a 2nd cup of it.

The flavour is very nice and smooth as the Lupicia teas tend to be. It blends well with Green Tea. I tried it boiling as well as at normal green tea temperatures (175F) and it seems to hold up pretty well at both.

Initially, the jasmine in this tea smells overwhelming. I thought this would be way too strong. However, the teabag was really quite good and on par with loose leaf tea.

It’s a great tea to have in the office. I was able to just leave the teabag in my tall cup and keep on adding hot water to it throughout the day. It steeps very well without any bitterness, and was very flavorful even after the third time I topped it off.

140 °F / 60 °C 8 min or more

Hotel – 5:30 AM

So, I’m in France. We flew overnight from Atlanta to Paris, and then from Paris to Lyon. Then we rented a car and drove from Lyon to Grenoble, where the company we work for has its headquarters. Needless to say, I’m exhausted. And, of course, awake at this ungodly hour because of the time difference throwing off my sleep schedule. I’m sure I’ll be sleeping normally just in time to head back to the States and do it all over again in a few days. XD

At least every hotel in France has an electric kettle! Or at least, that’s been my experience. I brought my Kusmi Four Red Fruits (one of the only teas I have in sachet form) and a buffet of individually-wrapped sachets that I was keeping in my work desk drawer. It’s mostly Lupicia teas, with some Harney & Sons in there – all free samples from past orders.

I definitely mistreated this poor little sachet. Since it’s not a variable temperature kettle, I just waited a few minutes after boiling, so who knows what the actual water temperature was. And then, after adding the water, I forgot about it for several minutes… Oops…

Luckily, it seems to have come through that rather well, with only a little bitterness present. The jasmine is quite strong here, so I can’t really taste the green tea much, if at all. But it’s not overly perfumey – it definitely tastes like jasmine flowers as opposed to flavoring. It’s very relaxing, which is what I need right now.

I don’t personally feel the need to stock a plain jasmine green tea in my cupboard, as it’s not something I reach for often. Plus I really love the jasmine-spearmint combination of Bird & Blend’s Nearly Nirvana.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Floral, Jasmine, Nectar, Sweet

5 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
Olive

If you have the opportunity to go to Dijon, check out “Le comptoir des colonies” – a very nice tea room which is always full haha! I used to go there whenever I could afford it back when I was a student there, the service is nice and they’ve got cool teas and pretty awesome home-made cakes!