Rice Aroma Ripe Pu'er

Herbal Pu-erh Blend
Brown Sugar, Butter, Earth, Hay, Leather, Milk, Nutty, Rice, Toasted Rice, Camphor, Nuts, Cream, Peanut
Edit tea info Last updated by CrowKettle

• “Taking some time for myself today – it’s REALLY hard to slow down when there’s so much to do and my husband really doesn’t have time to help as much as he should be. But today i’m forcing myself. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks so much for letting me try this, Kawaii433! I thought a teaspoon would work great in my smaller dragon mug. The leaves look larger for a pu-erh, not the tiny pieces. To be honest, I would...” Read full tasting note
  • “I had quite a heavy dinner, a taco salad with lots of salsa and guacamole. So now, I’m just chillin’ and am enjoying this “sticky rice pu’er tea” tonight. It’s rich, although not too much depth...” Read full tasting note
  • “Gone gaiwan. 5g, 100mL, 212F. Short rinse followed by 7 steeps at 15s/25/30/45/1m/1m30/5?m This is a nice, mellow shou, fragrant and comforting. The base tea is rather savory and not very sweet....” Read full tasting note

From Mandala Tea

This. Is. A. Must. Try. We’ve combined an incredible, skillfully produced ripe pu’er with just the perfect amount of Nuo Mi Xiang Herb (sticky rice fragrance). The result is a spectacular blend that is rice-y, a bit nutty, earthy, with a hint of camphor. This is the finest rice scented ripe pu’er available, we have no doubt. The base ripe pu’er blend is this and it is astoundingly good.

This style of tea is frequently called “sticky rice pu’er tea” and you’ll understand why the moment you open the bag. It’s simply delightful. This tea contains no grains whatsoever.

We do not recommend consuming this tea while fasting. The aroma alone may make you want to run to the nearest Chinese restaurant for takeout!

Basic Brewing Instructions:

Ripe Pu’er may be given two 5-10 second rinses with the same temperature water as used for brewing.
195˚-212˚ F water temperature.
Use 1-3 teaspoons per 8 Oz. of filtered water.
Recommended first steeping of 30 seconds – 1 minute. Add 30 seconds for each subsequent infusion.

Tea brewing is meant to be a joyful exploration. There are no hard and fast rules. Experiment with the quantity of tea that you use, and steeping times. Enjoy discovering what your preferences are. They may change day to day.

About Mandala Tea View company

Taking some time for myself today – it’s REALLY hard to slow down when there’s so much to do and my husband really doesn’t have time to help as much as he should be. But today i’m forcing myself. Going to try and get through 2 of my puerh today as long as the caffeine seems ok. Started out with this one at breakfast because i really do often enjoy a good sticky rice puerh. Mandala’s is no exception. Just a super mellow sticky rice puerh. Nothing complicated here, but still delicious in it’s simplicity. I could go for a little more “rice” but it’s nothing to make me not enjoy this. Thanks for the sample garett! May need to order more in future.

Thanks so much for letting me try this, Kawaii433! I thought a teaspoon would work great in my smaller dragon mug. The leaves look larger for a pu-erh, not the tiny pieces. To be honest, I would expect a puerh with a rice flavor to use the smaller leaves… the smaller leaves would impart a darker, deeper flavor. This is certainly tasty, with plenty of sweet rice flavor. Also NONE of the negative flavors that puerh might have. As I expected, the larger leaves aren’t creating as deep of a flavor as I love in puerh. But the rice flavor is certainly making it a tea I really like. I suppose I could have just used more than a teaspoon, as you can’t really overdo a ripe puerh.
Steep #1 // 1 teaspoon for full smaller mug // 18 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 4 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 4 min

Kawaii433

Yay glad you enjoyed it :D

I had quite a heavy dinner, a taco salad with lots of salsa and guacamole.

So now, I’m just chillin’ and am enjoying this “sticky rice pu’er tea” tonight. It’s rich, although not too much depth because after the 4th infusion, the majority of the rich flavor is gone but the rest of the infusions are still flavorful, just a much lighter flavor. It’s earthy, leather notes but not too overwhelming, and that’s a good thing for me because I don’t like the heavy leather taste. It’s a little nutty, has brown sugar notes throughout with a very light sweet finish. Not sugary sweet. Some dark chocolate notes (especially in the beginning) could be sugarcane sweetness, not sure and then transforms into a more creamy light milk sweetness on the 4th or 5th steeping. Throughout the steepings is a very delicate glutinous rice scent that I love. It’s a good balance but I wouldn’t mind even more of the sticky rice flavor personally.^^

Porcelain gaiwan, 5g, 212˚ F, 7 steeps: rinse, 25s, 35s, 45s, 55s, 65s, 75s, 85s

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Butter, Earth, Hay, Leather, Milk, Nutty, Rice, Toasted Rice

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This is a nice, mellow shou, fragrant and comforting. The base tea is rather savory and not very sweet. It lacks off-putting aromas and tastes. Works well with the sticky rice herb which is not overpowering, though it is looking old. The first four steeps were the richest and the last 3 were not too watery. Despite me not considering this a sweet tea, there was a strong lingering sweetness in the back of the mouth. It was good for drinking at night which is what I purchased it for. Not too much focus was required, it was relatively short-lived and seemed low in caffeine. Prit-tay good.

Boiling 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
eastkyteaguy

I’ve been meaning to try this one for a while. I don’t drink pu’erh frequently, but I’m way bigger on shou than sheng. I tend to like what Mandala Tea offers. They’re kind of famous around these parts for their Milk Oolong and their pu’erh.

derk

I’ve had several of their shou over the course of a few years. They were all very clean and of excellent quality. The milk oolong wasn’t my jam but I can see why so many people love it.

eastkyteaguy

I used to love the milk oolong, but I’ve neither reviewed it nor consumed any of it in at least two years.

Mastress Alita

I have a different sticky rice herb pu-ehr, and I love to make it as a tea, then use the tea as the water my Minute Rice soaks up as a quick snack. The tea is also one of my favorite ramen broths.

I may possibly cave and order from the same company in one month, just for this tea. It’s not every day that I fall this passionately in love with the free samples; it’s the rice and the creamy-smooth ripe pu’er.

Steep Count: 4

Edit: This is an incredibly forgiving tea. I completely over-steeped my third cup but it retained it’s smooth and rich profile. The sweet and nutty components were amplified a lot- almost to the point where it became a little like peanut butter. I still like the shorter steeps though, as you get a longer session with a decent amount of flavour per cup.

Flavors: Butter, Camphor, Cream, Earth, Nuts, Peanut, Toasted Rice