Chocolate, Sweet, Vanilla, Raspberry, Cream, Strawberry, Fruity, Red Fruits, Smooth, Caramel, Creamy, Berries, Flowers, Jam, Tart, Malt
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sivasubramanian

2 Images

• “Yesterday’s sprinkles gave way to real rain. You can just feel the tired old earth around me go “ahhhhhh.” I woke up craving this. I must have needed an “ahhhh” too. This is lovely and fruity (love...” Read full tasting note
  • “SIPDOWN! I loved this when I first got it, but I did find it to be finicky – finicky, but worth it. As long as I keep the temp around 203F and the time around three minutes this is great. Hubby...” Read full tasting note
  • “It’s been forever since I’ve had this tea. But not because I don’t love it. It’s actually the opposite – I adore this tea so much that I haven’t been able to force myself to open the new tin of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! Had a small cup of this before tucking the rest ofth is away For cavocorax :) while I enjoy this one, it’s not my favourite of the MF teas that I’ve had the pleasure of trying.” Read full tasting note

From Mariage Frères

Mariage Frères’ most famous secret is this mysterious blend that takes you to distant lands and strange countries. The aroma of Chinese and Tibetan flowers and fruit lend it a uniquely velvety taste. Its extraordinary bouquet makes Marco Polo the most legendary of flavoured teas.

Succès incontesté de la Maison Mariage Frères, ce mélange secret vous fera voyager dans les plus lointaines et mystérieuses contrées. Les senteurs de fleurs et de fruits de Chine et du Tibet lui confèrent un arôme velouté unique. Un bouquet extraordinaire pour le plus mythique des thés parfumés.

About Mariage Frères View company

A smooth bodied fruit tea, that smells deliciously and tastes even better.

I have the muslin tea sachets. This is a very floral-fruity tea…it would make a nice body fragrance/eau de toilette for the Spring/Summer months.

Aroma: Very floral-fruity with a slightness of tea aroma mingled nicely.

Taste: Again, very floral-fruity clean tea palate. This is a clear, clean tasting tea; I would imagine from Sri Lanka or the lighter of Indian teas. There is no mouth feel to speak of or thickness. The floral-fruity [not able to say which fruits or flowers] notes are the most prominent and the tea is a clean, clear compliment to the floral-fruity characteristics with a slight sweetness. A very nice, delicious tea.

Aftertaste: A clean, clear finish. No drying of the tongue, or thick mouth feel. Marco Polo finishes off clean, clear, floral and fruity with a little lingering sweetness but not overly done.

I would recommend this tea for an after dinner treat over fattening desserts…it is that delicious and sweet, but not cloyingly so. I would highly recommend this tea…a must buy!

Boiling 8 min or more

The most popular flavored blend of Mariage Frères. Has fine bouquet of Chinese and Tibetan flowers & fruits.

When you can’t quite make it to Paris.

Fruitier than L’Opera, yet richer and heavier, so better for a kick. It can be overbearing, but this is one of my go to teas. Works well with honey. In fact, I wouldn’t have it without.

Marco! (waving my arms around in a pool trying to find a direction but no idea where I’m going)
I was hesitant to try this after reading all the supposed similarities between this and Harney Paris. I don’t like Paris.

Polo! (oh. I hear you……..whaaa? which direction? not sure)
I had this in tea bag form (a whole box of ‘em) and decided to brew one up because why not. I mean, it’s tea, right? So it’s probably okay. The worst that can happen is that I don’t like it.

Marco! (OK, I think you’re on my right. flailing arms a little less)
Hmm. Smells good. Not artificially weird. and I still smell the tea. Let’s take the teabag out. Oh! okay color…….smells fruity but in a good way, not in a bath and body works way.

Polo! (ah ha. you’re close. I can tell.)
take a sip……oo. Pleasant. caramelized currant. And no headache! The tea is flavorful and there! Very fall-like. Could use a touch of milk but this is just great how it is. I should ice this someday.

Marco! (HA! FOUND YOU!)
Okay, now I get it. No fear anymore. I see the potential to draw similarities between this and Paris. I know Paris has its fans……..I get that everyone has different things that they like and don’t like. I didn’t like Paris because it tasted too artificial to me. Does Marco Polo have artificial notes? I’m sure the ingredients are not 100 perfect natural….but they TASTE like they’re supposed to and don’t trigger a chemical headache for me. It’s like buying a pair of jeans at Target vs. buying a pair of jeans at a Boutique. You’re going to pay more, but the fit is going to be better, and you’re more likely to wear them often…..and in the end, what’s the point in having tea if you’re not going to drink it?

Marco Polo FTW.

gmathis

Oh, my…haven’t traveled with Marco for many, many moons, but I have very pleasant memories of our time together. :)

The aroma from the can was shocking, in my opinion. It had a great scent of chocolate, a smell I did not particularly connect to tea. The color was of an amber brown, quite warm-nature. The taste was quite different from the leaves’ aroma, instead of a chocolate taste it had more of a vanilla taste. Overall, the tea was not bad, nothing to overpowering, smooth and slightly sweet.

Flavors: Chocolate, Sweet, Vanilla

This tea is so delightful to smell, it should be made into a candle. Its incredibly sweet chocolate and fruity scent overwhelms the nose, but is light on the tongue. It is somewhat bitter, and takes several minutes to fully steep and extract any flavor.

Flavors: Chocolate, Raspberry

Well-rounded, full-bodied black tea with fruit and vanilla notes.

Flavors: Red Fruits, Vanilla

It’s my birthday today. In a tradition of exploration and fun, a birthday trip has allowed me to spend a few hours in San Francisco yesterday doing only tea related expeditions. Usually our visits to the city don’t allow enough time for this kind of scavenger hunt. Everything is spread out and just finding parking at each stop in enough of a challenge to deter. But add determined and you will get there.
We started at Lupicia and the lovely girls there made every sample requested. So sweet. I came away with some of the golden honey dew rooibos. It was exactly what I hoped for. Really delicious.
Next stop was Tevana, just for comparison purposes, and just really to confirm what I already knew about them. Yup. no one there had any ‘real’ knowledge. Its a koolaid shop. But I bought some Earl Grey cream, just to, again, compare. Sure enough, the sales girl did the ‘over measure’ to see if I would be fine with more than I asked for.

After a non tea related visit to Anthropologie, just across the street, we headed to the Crown and Crumpet in Japan Town. A cute Tea salon/café. All the little tea sandwiches were good, but late in the day, the selection was limited. The Tea we had with the meal was a white and black combination with rose.

Finally, the treat I have wanted to try for so long was the last stop. Chantal Guillon for Mariage Frere Tea. and Marco Polo.

I could have bought this tea on line long ago. But it just didn’t seem right. With a name like Marco Polo and not being easy to get, why not have it be an adventure to obtain, as it is just as elusive to pin down as well as to decipher the flavors within the cup.

The flavor does live up to the wonderful aroma. It is a treat just breathing in the scent. It is the kind of tea to give you a different experience each time you brew a new cup. It truly relates to the quote I have on my site, “Steam rises from a cup of tea and we are wrapped in history, inhaling ancient times and lands, comfort of ages in our hands.”

that’s Marco Polo.

Sipping and nibbling a salted caramel macaron, I am writing this from a Bed and Breakfast in Napa. La Belle Epoch. One of the nicest B&B stays ever!!!

What a perfect Tea for a birthday adventure.

Flavors: Fruity, Smooth, Strawberry

hawkband1

Sounds like a great trip! Happy Birthday!

ColumbiaKate

Thank you. A visit to the Japanese Tea Garden was a treat as well (on a different day). Such a nostalgic place. I hadn’t been there in years and it offers much more in the area of food (tea sandwiches) than I remember from past visits.

caile

Sounds like you had a great birthday!! :)

ColumbiaKate

Thanks Caile. It sure was. actually All about the Tea.
Started with buying tea cups at an antiques faire and ended with Tea by the ocean;) And all things tea in between.