Vanilla Bean

Natural Vanilla Flavor, Premium Black Teas, Vanilla Pieces
Creamy, Vanilla, Cocoa, Floral, Sweet, Tannic, Tannin, Beany, Nutty, Wet Earth, Earth, Butter, Marshmallow, Powdered sugar
Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “I tried the Vanilla Bean with milk this morning, per Jillian’s suggestion, and it was much better this way and more drinkable. It still has the strong vanilla smell and only a general black tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “This one is finally gone! I’ve had it for so long and it’s gone! That’s ok. I need to finish more teas. I’ve always enjoyed this one. When brewed correctly it has a nice creamy vanilla flavor to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Well, this’ the last bag of this I have. I’ll miss it. It’s one of the staples I carried in my Travel Tea Bag. I don’t plan to actively go out and pick this one up again, but if I come across...” Read full tasting note
  • “The first time I had this tea was at a restaurant with Sunday brunch. This was my first tea from Mighty Leaf and I fell in love with it immediately! This tea has a strong, creamy, true vanilla...” Read full tasting note

From Mighty Leaf Tea

Vanilla Bean black tea, a deep blend of black loose tea leaves with Madagascar vanilla, conjures up images of inhaling the heady aroma of wild vanilla as you hike the tropics near Mt. Maromakotro. A full-bodied and fruity cup, Vanilla Bean, a blend of Ceylon and China black teas, makes a deeply satisfying impression.

About Mighty Leaf Tea View company

Mighty Leaf Tea was born for the sole purpose of infusing life into an ancient indulgence by creating tea products that reach new heights of quality and innovation. Our passion is creating the most incredible handcrafted tea blends found anywhere, globally sourcing the finest ingredients available. Paralleling the highest standards of quality at Mighty Leaf Tea is ongoing creative innovation.

Double-sacheted this one and poured way too much milk in it, but it still manages to be very tasty. It’s definitely genuine vanilla bean— has a bit of a bitter earthy edge to it. It actually kind of smells like a pu-erh, even though I know it’s not. I added some honey to play up the sweeter side of the vanilla and it worked out nicely. Very nice mid-afternoon sweet treat.

Mighty Leaf teas don’t tend to get great reviews on Steepster, and I think it’s because they are VERY pricey bagged teas. I understand why they cost a lot though; they use plastic silken sachets instead of paper, and they weave the string and tag into the sachet instead of cheaply gluing it (looking at YOU, Lipton and H & S), so there is a lot of materials, time, and labor involved. It’s also whole-leaf loose tea inside the sachets, not CTC dust. But when you’re paying $9-$12 for a box of 14 sachets, you expect pleasant surprises and perfect artistry. Or at the very least, multiple steeps per sachet. To be completely honest, these teas are not surprising or overly finely crafted, and they don’t lend themselves well to multiple steepings. I was lucky enough to get this box for half-price (liquidation sale; Shaw’s is not stocking this tea on their shelves anymore), so I am able to review it without the price point affecting my experience too much.

Vanilla is one of my very favorite things in the world; in addition to conserving my supply of this tea treat, I’m currently mourning the discontinuation of my favorite scent from Bath & Body Works, Wild Madagascar Vanilla. I’ve stocked up on the full line of products before they start stocking it in body lotion and fragrance mist only, and relegate them to the “online exclusive” group.

Why do all my favorite vanilla things leave me??

Flavors: Vanilla, Wet Earth

Fjellrev

Aww, it sucks when companies discontinue awesome products. I haven’t tried Wild Madagascar Vanilla. Weird since I love vanilla. Maybe it’s best I never experienced it!

I’m still angry at them for discontinuing their creamy moisturizing hand soaps, and also their Twilight Woods hand soaps. Ugh!

teaqueen

I loved the Twilight Woods scent, too! They always get rid of the good ones. The only one that they still sell the full line of from their original scents is Sweet Pea. Yuck :(

I’ve no idea why others are rating this so low. Have they smelled it? The aroma is incredible. This creamy tea reminds me a bit of pipe tobacco, but I mean that in the very best sort of way. It’s complex and just stand-offish enough to keep me intrigued.

The vanilla is fairly strong, but it’s not at all sweet. It’s a deep vanilla that might not play nice with everyone’s palette, but that’s what I like about it. The tea itself could be a bit stronger, so this fails when it comes to balance, but like I said, have they smelled this?

2069 tasting notes

Gosh my boyfriend loves this tea. He’s mad for the mighty leaf teas, and… well, I find them a little underwhelming. Perfectly pleasant, mind you, but not as special or rich as other teas.
That, plus the fact that Mightly Leaf is a pricey tea, even if its available in the grocery store, and for that buck, I want a little more bang.
Still, it served well as a quick breakfast cup.

ashmanra

I agree with you.

Add some milk and sugar and this tea rules!

Flavors: Beany, Butter, Vanilla

The aroma of the dry leaves is powdery, warm, with hint of cocoa powder and very muted vanilla. The liquor is a dull copper and smell of powdery/chalky sweetness reminiscent of marshmallows, but not quite vanilla. The character of the tea leaves is not prominent. This tea may work with a splash of milk and sugar for a sweet tea, but the flavour of the tea would be considerably diluted.

Flavors: Marshmallow, Powdered sugar, Vanilla

I drank this while studying for one of my exams today. The dry scent was sweet and vanilla-y, but the flavor was basic black tea base, maybe a touch creamy, and not much vanilla to be seen. Overall pretty unremarkable, not the worst, but I’ve had better.

(256)

I’ve had this tea for a while. But it’s sealed in bags so I thought it’d be fine. And it was fine. Not fantastic or anything, but extremely drinkable and nice enough with cream.

It would be a good tea choice if you’re out and about and there’s limited selection, but it’s quite expensive to buy a box of and IMO, not worth it.

There are definitely better vanilla black teas out there.

Flavors: Vanilla

This Vanilla Bean from Mighty Leaf is definitely better than I remembered. It’s possible that I brewed it stronger than last time and also added more cream. I still believe that Vanilla Bean is not as good as Harney & Sons Vanilla Comoro, even though, remarkably, the latter is decaffeinated! It’s much more difficult for me to come up with tasty late night options than daytime teas, so I don’t have a lot of motivation to stock this one anyway, given the existence and superior flavor of VC.

Flavors: Vanilla

I’m at the airport sipping this one (thanks for the free WiFi, MSP!). A Starbucks was directly next to my gate, but I am not a fan of Tazo tea. I trekked about halfway down the concourse to Dunn Brothers instead to get this tea. Totally worth it! One of the things I like best about this tea is the black tea base is still the main flavor. The vanilla enhances the flavor rather than masking it. I’m off to spend the weekend with the BF :). Anyone have any tea recommendations for the Washington DC area (DC proper, Bethesda, Rockville)?

Marzipan

Why do you travel so much?

mj

Mostly because my boyfriend lives in Maryland, my family lives in Florida, and I live in Minneapolis. The BF and I have been dating long distance for almost 4 years! I also travel for scientific conferences for work and when I can afford it, I just travel for fun :-). I have a serious case of wanderlust.

The last of today’s work teas. I had no access to milk, so I went without. My instinct probably would have been to add some if I had any to hand, as it brewed up pretty dark, but it was drinkable without. I will try it with milk next time, as I think a creaminess would sit nicely alongside the vanilla flavouring.

And it’s strong vanilla flavouring by my standards. Really strong. Not a bad thing, but a little overpowering when approached with no additions. I couldn’t taste the black base at all, which was completely unexpected. On the plus side, there was no bitterness or astringency to be found, although after a few sips it became quite a cloying brew.

I will give this one another try at some point in the future, when I’m better equipped. There are a few more bags in my sampler box, and I think I’ll enjoy it as a vanilla tea when it’s brewed to my liking. The flavouring was beautifully natural, if just a little much when taken on alone!