Organic Earl Grey

Bergamot, Smoke, Citrus, Bitter, Perfume, Oak wood, Smoked
Sachet
High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Sipdown, 242. I randomly picked up a sachet of this at a hotel or conference once, and I have had it in my stash since. I brought it home with me this weekend because my parents don’t have a good...” Read full tasting note
  • “We finally made it – this is the last face/off of the first elimination round of the Battle of the Earl Greys. The second round will start on Wednesday! Jake made some lovely scones this morning,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Was pleasantly surprised to find whole leaf in the silken sachet Mighty Leaf tea in the diner I was eating in this evening (why was I in a diner on Thanksgiving? Long story short, we had our dinner...” Read full tasting note
  • “The graduate advisor emailed me a while ago, asking that I give her my CV in less than two days so she can send it off so I could be considered for some fellowship. Seeing that I haven’t had the...” Read full tasting note

From Mighty Leaf Tea

Organic Earl Grey is made of rich organically grown black tea leaves and golden buds with a twist of citrusy organic bergamot. Mighty Leaf perfects the classic tea with an elegant, balanced and full flavored cup. Earl Grey himself would be proud. Certified organic tea by the USDA and QAI.

About Mighty Leaf Tea View company

Mighty Leaf Tea was born for the sole purpose of infusing life into an ancient indulgence by creating tea products that reach new heights of quality and innovation. Our passion is creating the most incredible handcrafted tea blends found anywhere, globally sourcing the finest ingredients available. Paralleling the highest standards of quality at Mighty Leaf Tea is ongoing creative innovation.

I received a Mighty Leaf gift set for Christmas with the cutest teapot that holds about 1 liter. It came with a small selection of their sachets—I’ve never seen whole tea leaves in a fancy pouch before, so that’s convenient! :) I went ahead and dedicated one pouch to the whole pitcher and steeped for the usual time. I’ve yet to find my perfect Earl Grey, so I figured it’d be safer to go with a weaker brew and I can use the last two pouches together if I don’t mind the taste.

That being said, it’s rather good! The citrus isn’t as strong as Red Rose’s Earl Grey, it’s not as “burnt” tasting as Taylors, and I don’t taste a lot of the bitterness that are in some of the other tasting notes. I’m happy! Been craving a decent cup of Earl Grey for the last couple of months. Haha! xD

Flavors: Bergamot, Citrus

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 30 OZ / 887 ML

This was another bonus sample in my swap with Kaylee. Although I was impressed by Mighty Leaf’s breakfast blend, I wasn’t a fan of this earl grey. I followed the instructions on the tag and steeped it for 4 minutes and I’m thinking it may have benefited from a shorter steep. The bergamot was very strong and almost perfume-like, completely overwhelming the base. There was also a bit of bitterness to the aftertaste. It smoothed out pretty well with a splash of milk, but this still isn’t something I’d seek out again.

Flavors: Bergamot, Bitter, Perfume

A good quality Earl Grey that has the delicate aroma and a bit stronger flavor of bergamot that many fans enjoy. Lacking the hint of citrus some higher quality leaves have. Nevertheless, a great staple to have in the kitchen.

Comes in individual silk bags perfect for steeping.

Over steeping does ruin flavor a tad.

70/100

Flavors: Bergamot, Oak wood, Smoke, Smoked

Delicious as a London Fog style latte with foamed/steamed milk, sugar, and vanilla bean paste.

I’m drinking the ML Collection version of this tea today, although, again, to all intents and purposes it’s the same as the Mighty Leaf version. Maybe a touch more bergamot, but that might just be my imagination. It’s quite creamy, and the base is substantial enough that I can add milk if I want to. Given how I feel at the moment, I do want to. The bergamot flavouring is like an overlay on a cup of solid black tea — the flavour swirls through the top notes, but when you really get down to it it’s just a solid tasting, malty black. Apparently golden tip, according to the little pouch these teabags come in, and I can believe that.

After a single day’s respite on Monday, when I started to feel a bit better, my cold is now back for a second go. There are few occasions in my life when I’ve felt this lousy for this long. I’m not really enjoying any of the things I normally do, and tea is one of those. My throat is sore, I can’t breathe very well, my tastebuds are all wonky. Bleugh. Maybe it’s because I’m tired and a bit stressed, but I just can’t seem to shake this one off. Hopefully I’ll be back to normal soon, but in the meantime bagged tea is pretty much fine with me.

I brewed up a glass of Mighty Leaf Organic Earl Grey in the sachet with the intention of holding another steep-off chez sherapop. The contender was supposed to be Teapigs Darjeeling Earl Grey. In fact, it ended up being something of an oranges and apples scenario, as the teas were very different, despite both being scented with bergamot. The liquor produced by this sachet was only a slightly darker reddish brown color (the Teapigs being more orange), but the brew was much less smooth.

The Mighty Leaf Organic Earl Grey required cream because the black base was quite scratchy. This blend might fare better consumed by itself or perhaps next to a lower-tier grocery store Earl Grey such as Bigelow or Twinings. For now, I have to say that I was not very impressed. I’ll try again later.

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 2 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Kirkoneill1988

im not much for earl grey anymore. maybe it’s the bergemot?

Kirkoneill1988

err maybe its because of the bergemot? ^

sherapop

Kirkoneill1988: I generally enjoy Earl Greys. My issue is usually with the base tea, not the bergamot. ;-)

As a lover of Earl Greys, this one is just meh.

Still kind of tasty with half and half and sugar.

I find this is great with a touch of local liquid honey.

Rachel Ray drinks Mighty Leaf Organic Earl Grey during the taping of her show and while on set, and we can see why! For those who enjoy Earl Grey this is the best I’ve found. The rich organic black tea leaves are accentuated by the organic bergamot. The bergamot is not overpowering or bitter, like some Earl Grey teas. This tea can be enjoyed as is, or with a splash of milk. Either way, you can’t go wrong with this Earl Grey.

I’ve actually never had Earl Grey before. I got this as a sample sachet in my order so why not give it a go? This was pretty good. Can’t say it’s the best earl grey I’ve ever had since it was the only Earl Grey I’ve ever had.