Honey Fragrance Black

Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

1 Tasting Note View all

From Mountain Stream Teas

This beautiful, delicate tea has been bitten by the green leaf hopper early enough in the season to create the sensual sweet honey notes that the name implies. These teas need to be grown in an organic environment to allow the bugs freedom to bite the young tea buds to produce this classic tea. The east coast of Taiwan consistently produces the best of the best Honey Fragrance Black Tea and our partner farm is famous for its consistent wins in the annual tea competitions.

Like all our teas, there are no added flavors, colors or chemicals in this tea. All flavors are completely natural and chemical-free!

Elevation: 300m

Status: Transitional(will be certified organic in 2019)

Cultivar: Jinxuan

Oxidization: 100%

Season: Spring 2017

Method: Hand picked, processed on site, very small batch

Region: Rueishuei, Hualien

About Mountain Stream Teas View company

1 Tasting Note

It’s been a while, and I do have a few back logs for this company. This was given as a generous sample, and thank you!

I’ve had this kind of tea a few times before, and it’s name gives you what you should expect: a viscous smooth and honeyed black tea. It is on the softer side of blacks having a slight chocolate note followed by a dry middle to a sticky, honey ending. Earlier notes had some minerals in the thick texture, and some passionfruit hints going into the honey notes. I’d say there is a little bit of fruitiness to the tea, but since it has a honey fragrance, the honey note can always have a fructose like profile so fruitiness is but an akin descriptor. The earlier notes also were a little bit bittersweet; however, I would not describe the tea as astringent of fundamentally bitter. Middle notes were a little bit more malty, albeit light. Some raisin and wood hints, but something like apricot or plum in steeps four and five. And yes, I did this gong fu beginning 30, 45, 50, 60, 80 with 190 F water.

I would recommend this tea as an easy goer for those who like lighter blacks or want to try honey profiled teas as this one is typical. It is also a decent example of Taiwanese blacks since they are equally viscous and malty, and this does have the benefit of having a nice aroma when brewing. I might not reach for this in the future only due to my oolong preference, but I would otherwise not say no to this tea if offered. The price is also decent at $28 for 100 grams.