Pomelo Fragrance Oolong

Oolong Tea
Baked Bread, Bitter, Citrus Zest, Floral, Spinach, Tart, Yeast, Orange Blossom, Astringent, Celery, Citrus, Cucumber, Drying, Grapes, Jasmine, Lettuce, Pear, Smooth, Sugarcane, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by derk

• “I got this tea as a free sample with my order, thanks MST! I won’t rate it though, as it is noted as being past its shelf life on the website. Since it’s already late today, I opted for less leaf...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was really excited when I saw this tea online. TTC once carried a pomelo flower scented oolong that was out of this world good. It’s still one of my top 10 Taiwanese oolongs of all time. I was...” Read full tasting note
  • “Summer Vacation! I’m onto Taiwan now, and while I don’t have a lot of Taiwanese teas in my collection, they usually bode well for me (I really like Taiwanese oolongs!) Depending on how this last...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you for the sample Mountain Stream! Derk, I gotta say, I was not a huge fan. It was a good tea, but it overwhelmed me despite it being on the lighter side. The pomelo was pronounced, floral,...” Read full tasting note

From Mountain Stream Teas

A wonderfully floral and unique tea, this one is processed in tandem with fresh pomelo flowers. (See Video Below) From the first steep on the rich, sweet fragrance of the pomelo flowers comes out into the tea and creates an intoxicating mix of flowers and classic oolong earthiness. Great tea for beginners to high quality teas and those that like blended teas as well!

Like all our teas, there are no added flavors, colors or chemicals in this tea. All flavors are completely natural and chemical-free!

Elevation: 300m

Status: Transitional(will be certified organic in 2019)

Cultivar: Jinxuan

Oxidization: 25%

Season: Spring 2018

Method: Hand picked, processed on site, very small batch

Region: Rueishuei, Hualien

Recommend Brewing Style:

Gong Fu Style: 3-5g per 100ml, ~100C water, 30, 45, 60 then add 5-10 seconds steeps in gaiwan. Lasts 6-7 steeps.

Western Style: 3g per 100ml, ~95c water for 3 minutes. Lasts 2-3 steeps.

About Mountain Stream Teas View company

I got this tea as a free sample with my order, thanks MST! I won’t rate it though, as it is noted as being past its shelf life on the website. Since it’s already late today, I opted for less leaf and western brewing.

The aroma is surprisingly weak and initially I don’t really get much pomelo fragrance, if any. There is a sea air like scent though. After second steep, I can definitely smell the pomelo blossoms. The taste is somewhat light and very floral with bitter finish. I get notes of spinach and pomelo, as well as citrus zest in general terms. The aftertaste is quite long and displays the pomelo fragrance nicely. It is savoury too, reminiscent of sourdough bread in fact. The body is light and mouthfeel drying, but not really astringent.

Unfortunately, I found that the way the tea made me feel was quite unpleasant. It quickly got into my head and upset my stomach, even though I had dinner not that long ago.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Bitter, Citrus Zest, Floral, Spinach, Tart, Yeast

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
derk

It really seems like this needs to be drank as fresh as possible. I should’ve added the discounted tea to my cart with my most recent order to compare.

I was really excited when I saw this tea online. TTC once carried a pomelo flower scented oolong that was out of this world good. It’s still one of my top 10 Taiwanese oolongs of all time. I was hoping this could match the TTC tea but sadly it pales in comparison. The pomelo fragrance is just barely there and tastes like it faded a long time ago. Some unexpected bitterness was encountered when cold brewed and grandpa steeped. It was a little better when gongfued but still had a very faint pomelo flavor. The underlying Jin Xuan is thin-bodied and doesn’t contribute much to taste either.

I just saw that this tea was discounted on Mountain Stream’s website with a note explaining that it was now past its shelf life. That’s a little surprising considering it was harvested only a few months and sealed but would explain my experience. I do appreciate the vendor’s honesty though. May consider trying it again in the future if I can get my hands on a fresh batch.

Flavors: Orange Blossom

200 °F / 93 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I need to try it again because it did not scream at me either.

derk

Heh, the pomelo fragrance screamed at me loud and clear only a month or so ago. I’m surprised it would have faded so quickly being sealed. The base tea seemed high enough quality, though my experience with jin xuan is no more than 5-6 different teas. The only thing I took issue with was a strong numbing of the first half of my tongue.

5-6 green jin xuans

Arby

Since we are discussing pomelo teas, has anyone tried the pomelo fragrance Dan Cong oolong that Yunnan Sourcing sells?

LuckyMe

Arby, the YS pomelo fragrance dan cong is a good, but is a different animal from this tea. This one is produced by scenting a green oolong with flowers in the manner of jasmine tea. Tthe dan cong OTOH has no added flavoring. It’s processed in such a way that it naturally develops a pomelo flower like taste & aroma.

LuckyMe

@derk, i’m also surprised the flavor evaporated so quickly. my TTC pomelo scented tea lasted for a long time before there was any noticeable drop in flavor. could be improper packaging (no oxygen absorbers in this package or skill of the producer.

Summer Vacation! I’m onto Taiwan now, and while I don’t have a lot of Taiwanese teas in my collection, they usually bode well for me (I really like Taiwanese oolongs!) Depending on how this last week of August goes, if I run out I may make a vacation stop in Thailand or Vietnam… we’ll see!

First up is this sampler that was gifted by derk! Thank you derk! I have never tried anything pomelo-flavored (or eaten anything pomelo for that matter) which is what made me curious about this one. I like trying “exotic” (to me, anyway) fruits. I’m attempting this gong fu style since it is my day off and I have some more time this morning, but we’ll see how it goes. I don’t have a lot of practice with it. I’m doing the 4g in about half the volume of my shiboridashi, which comes out to 75ml, because the full 150ml per infusion is just too much tea for me over the course of several infusions of a session. Still waiting on that tiny 50ml gaiwan from China… shipping woes.

Gong Fu [Shiboridashi] / 4g / 75ml / 200F / 10s rinse / 30s|45s|60s|65s|70s|80s

The aroma is very floral, but citrusy… like orange blossoms and citrus oil. It comes off slightly perfumy when the tea is still very warm and steamy, but I find that settles a bit as the tea cools. The flavor is certainly something unique; I’ve had teas with a natural fruity/floralness before (sakura), but that soft cherry note is very different than this citrus note from the pomelo flowers. It tastes like a light mandarin orange flavor mixed with jasmine flowers, and below that is a fresh green watery vegetal note from the oolong, along the lines of lettuce/celery/cucumber. The pomelo flavor leaves an aftertaste on the tongue, and there is a very mild astringency left after the sip. In the second steep the pomelo flavor was much fuller and I got a grape note beneath the florals that was very pleasant, but the astringent drying on my tongue in the finish was also a bit stronger. The increased steep time by the third steep seemed to help a lot with the astringency in the finish, and the floral became very smooth and flowery, and the tea quite sweet with some new sugarcane and pear notes. I went for six steeps and at that point the flavor was starting to give out and become quite mineral-like.

A very pleasant oolong and unlike anything I’ve tried before. A bit drying (some accompanying water is a must) but the citrusy floral note produces a very unique flavor. Thanks for letting me try this, derk!

Flavors: Astringent, Celery, Citrus, Cucumber, Drying, Floral, Grapes, Jasmine, Lettuce, Orange Blossom, Pear, Smooth, Sugarcane, Vegetal

200 °F / 93 °C 4 g 3 OZ / 75 ML

You’re welcome.

Thank you for the sample Mountain Stream!

Derk, I gotta say, I was not a huge fan. It was a good tea, but it overwhelmed me despite it being on the lighter side. The pomelo was pronounced, floral, and a little funky. Yes, I brewed it gong fu, but every time, I kept on getting a watercress note, and then the weird yeastiness that you described. The citric acidity coupled with the savoriness reminded me of a tortilla chip. Steep three, and more tortilla citrus flavor and watercress midsip and body. Steep four, heady and slightly bitter jasmine with a citrus finish. Steep five-green jin xuan ness. I can get the coriander in its herby profile, although it is still green and milky in texture. Not thick enough to be like spinach as Jin Xuans tend to be…which was kinda a relief.

Okay, back to my assertion. The yeasty citrus combo was a little too much for me. I think the florals gave me the buzz more than the caffeine, and yeah, I was a little tea drunk from this one. It might grow on me, but a little too much.

derk

I did not think to describe the tea as overwhelming but in retrospect I can see what you mean. Maybe this tea needs to breathe/settle before consuming to reduce the intensity of the pomelo blossom. The florals were definitely the main contributor to my buzz. I’d say this tea is for the more experienced (even though I highly enjoyed it) and If I still had some, I’d try my typical gaiwan session timing to note any differences. Glad to hear another’s perspective on this tea.

Finally a cloudless, ambient temperature morning. I’ve been awake for a few hours now and still haven’t eaten. Good combination for drinking a floral oolong. I picked up this Pomelo Fragrance Oolong because I am a total sucker for citrus blossoms. This reminds me I need to buy a porcelain gaiwan.

Dry leaf has a light but persistent fragrance with that pomelo flower, I want to say jasmine, fresh linens.

6 grams into the unwarmed 150mL glass gaiwan. Following MST’s temperature and time guidelines of 212F and 30/45/60/+5-10.

First steep, the leaf is strongly pomelo flower, lemon blossom, sweet pea, bittersweet with a touch of yeast. The light green-yellow liquor smells like a lemon with earthy notes (hard to describe), very floral, green leaf lettuce, buttermilk biscuit. The liquor is drying on the tongue, light yet viscous. Taste is strong, sweet citrus florals with a with a pleasant very light mustiness, mineral, golden delicious apple, sugar cookie, citrus pith and an unplaced vegetal green.

Second steep, the leaf is again strongly floral pomelo, lemon and jasmine with notes of water cracker, milkiness and green pear. Liquor a darker green-yellow and smelled of pomelo flower, golden delicious apple, jasmine, lactose. Taste is divine: the jin xuan cultivar came out in full force with its milkiness, again strong citrus florals, sugarcane and mineral. The liquor is soft, still a drying tongue that plays with bitterness and a lingering strong sweetness in the back of the mouth.

Third steep, the florals in the leaf lightened up with pear and a dark vegetal coming through, like sweetened collard greens. Liquor smells like pear, florals, lemon water and buttermilk biscuit made a return. The liquor first hit that bitter, drying note on the front half of the tongue then glides over the rest with a lovely velvety, thickness. Taste is pear, floral, butter, sugarcane, orange blossom and collards.

At this point I need to take a break to eat something light. A leftover hamburger bun from the weekend bbq. Tasting ability is numbed where the drying bitterness was on my tongue.

Fourth steep is still strong, more drying but velvety, less citrus floral, more butter. Butter and citrus blossom persist in the mouth. At first I thought there was no cha qi but now I’m very sleepy, eyelids drooping, a narcotic buzz in my body. Tea drunk. …And she’s down.

I suppose I’ll finish this session a few hours from now. I’ll give it a rating after I finish the remaining 4 grams of my sample using a different brewing technique.

Update: Decided to call it quits after the fifth steep, ending on a pleasant sour and mineral note.

Boiling 6 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
Daylon R Thomas

I got the orange blossom in the last order. A part of me hopes that this is one of the freebie samples if they provide them because I do love my citrus and my florals.

derk

Oh nice, I look forward to your review of the orange blossom oolong. It’s definitely going into my next MST order if it’s still in stock. I did get a freebie (honey black oolong) with my order so maybe this pomelo fragrance will make a showing for you. Iz gud.