Honey Black Oolong

Tea
Honey, Citrus, Dark Wood, Drying, Fruity, Lemon Zest, Roasted, Sweet, Yams
Edit tea info Last updated by derk

• “This was as advertised, with prominent honey notes and some complexity as the steeps progress. I’m going to put this firmly in the “good, but not my style” category. I prefer a more roasted...” Read full tasting note
  • “After the rinse, this smells heavenly – sweet, fruity and woody. Unfortunately, otherwise the tea didn’t really speak to me. My main issues are that the body is too light, and mouthfeel too powdery...” Read full tasting note
  • “Received as a freebie with my order, thanks! I have to preface this review by stating I… don’t really care for honey blacks. :$ Real-time review. I’m preparing this according to MST’s gong fu...” Read full tasting note

From Mountain Stream Teas

This oolong and black tea hybrid has bug bitten leaves and a very unique flavor profile. First steeps are honey comb flavored before opening up to the creamy slightly floral notes of an oolong. A unique, highly oxidized tea that will soon become a best seller! The east coast of Taiwan consistently produces the best of the best Honey Fragrance Black Tea and our partner farm is famous for its consistent wins in the annual tea competitions. This uses the same material to create an oolong tea!

Like all our teas, there are no added flavors, colors or chemicals in this tea. All flavors are completely natural and chemical-free!

Elevation: 300m

Status: Transitional(will be certified organic in 2019)

Cultivar: Jinxuan and Big Leaf Oolong

Oxidization: 80%

Season: Spring 2018

Method: Hand picked, processed on site, very small batch

Region: Rueishuei, Hualien

Recommend Brewing Style:

Gong Fu Style: 3-5g per 100ml, ~90C water, 30, 45, 60 then add 5-10 seconds steeps in gaiwan. Lasts 4-5 steeps.

Western Style: 3g per 100ml, ~100c water for 2 minutes. Lasts 2-3 steeps

About Mountain Stream Teas View company

This was as advertised, with prominent honey notes and some complexity as the steeps progress. I’m going to put this firmly in the “good, but not my style” category. I prefer a more roasted flavor, and ultimately do not care for oolongs that are like blacks with high oxidation. This one is at 80%. The honey scent lasts a while, but in the end it just feels like a nice black tea.

Flavors: Honey

After the rinse, this smells heavenly – sweet, fruity and woody. Unfortunately, otherwise the tea didn’t really speak to me. My main issues are that the body is too light, and mouthfeel too powdery (a little banana like). The taste is ok, but neither too complex nor satisfying. It is actually quite citrusy and slightly roasted. I didn’t get much of the fruitiness or sweet floral honey notes.

Flavors: Citrus, Dark Wood, Drying, Fruity, Lemon Zest, Roasted, Sweet, Yams

200 °F / 93 °C 1 min, 0 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

Received as a freebie with my order, thanks!

Real-time review. I’m preparing this according to MST’s gong fu guidelines. About 4.5 g, 100mL, 195F, steeps of 30/45/60/+5-10.

MST be throwing me off. Nothing says this is roasted but that’s what I taste.

Dry leaf smells like, well, imagine Honeycomb cereal. Rinsed leaf scent is hard to pick out because it seems perfumey above all else but hiding in there is roast, wood, and a mix of citrus-red cherry-rose. The brew starts out very light in the first steep and gets successively stronger in aroma, taste and texture. It moves from light roast and sweet into a progressively darker but light-bodied liquor with notes of citrus-cherry-honey. The light roast flavor underpins it all. It’s a bright tasting tea considering it tastes roasted, with a long and brilliant citrus and honey aftertaste. The bottom of the cup is retaining a scent of honeycomb. There’s an incredible body buzz that comes with it, too. I feel like I’m puddling, spreading out, then sucking parts of myself back in. Imagine the movement of an amoeba. A grinning tea-stoned amoebaaaah.

Oof. Don’t drink this before a work meeting or a test. I can’t even finish my review.

Edit: Got 6 steeps by letting the last one sit for 5+ minutes. There’s also a very strong tangerine zest feeling throughout my whole mouth. Added a rating.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 OZ / 100 ML
brutusK

Okay well I’m glad I’m not the only one that picked up roast lol. I liked this one but I unfortunately didn’t get body feels like you did! Sounds like you should be getting more…

derk

I don’t respond well to trees in my advanced age. This is a decent and cost-effective replacement. Sorry you didn’t get the feels. I hope somebody else can corroborate my claim.

Leafhopper

If I ever order from MST, this tea will be on my list. I’m not crazy about body feels either, but I love honey/fruity black teas!

brutusK

It tasted like slightly toasted raisin cinnamon bread to me—good stuff and you should totally order some

Girl Meets Gaiwan

I have some of this on the way – unfortunately seems to be hanging around in customs for some time. Looking forward to trying.

gmathis

You had me at Honeycombs (flashbacks to 5th grade with a mountainous bowl near one hand and a book in the other)>