Osmanthus Baozhong

Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by LuckyMe
200 °F / 93 °C 1 g 7 oz / 197 ml

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This is Baozhong #2 from my Mountain Stream Teas order. It’s a flower scented tea and a very good one at that. The osmanthus mingles with the floral baozhong for an intensely fruity brew. The...” Read full tasting note

From Mountain Stream Teas

Always suspicious of ‘scented’ teas, it has taken us a while to get an osmanthus flower tea on the site. It had to be clean, subtle, strong and agro-chemical free. It had to be world-class. We finally found one. Picked and produced in Nangang, only 20 minutes from downtown Taipei, this tea is everything we were looking for. Grown by a 8th generation tea farmer on a 100+ year old farm, they do things there in the old style. The osmanthus trees used for the teas are huge and ancient and the flowers are only harvested in the fall as that is the only time when their fragrance is strong enough for the tea.

This is a spring Baozhong and it is processed in a unique way. The tea is finished in spring, left until the fall, mixed with fresh osmanthus flowers and then baked at very low temperature to dry the flowers. It is then kept until after Lunar New Year before it is released to be sold. We were lucky to get some before it sold out.

Beautifully subtle with a long lasting aftertaste this tea has become our new gold standard for scented teas.

Elevation: 300m

Status: Certified Organic

Cultivar: Qin Xin, Jin Xuan, Cui Yu mix

Season: Spring 2018 for Tea, Fall 2018 for Flowers

Oxidization: 8%

Method: Hand picked, processed on site, very small batch

Region: Nangang, New Taipei City

Recommend Brewing Style:

Gong Fu Style: 3-5g per 100ml, ~85-90C water, 30, 45, 60 then add 5-10 seconds steeps in gaiwan. Lasts 4-5 steeps.

Western Style: 3g per 100ml, ~90c water for 3 minutes. Lasts 2-3 steeps.

About Mountain Stream Teas View company

1 Tasting Note

This is Baozhong #2 from my Mountain Stream Teas order. It’s a flower scented tea and a very good one at that. The osmanthus mingles with the floral baozhong for an intensely fruity brew. The tea smells and tastes like stonefruits, apricot to be precise. You don’t really taste the osmanthus until later after it’s been steeping for a while. Thick mouthfeel with a lingering, sweet finish.

I steeped this grandpa style in my tumbler, ~1.5g leaf in 10oz of 200 F water. I also like adding a pinch of this tea to spent green tea leaves. Not only does it get me a few more infusions at the end of the session, but the osmanthus flavor perfectly complements green tea’s grassiness.

Flavors: Apricot, Osmanthus, Stonefruits

200 °F / 93 °C 1 g 7 OZ / 197 ML
Ubacat

I’ve been waiting forever for Taiwan Tea Crafts to get some of their 2019 teas in. I see you are enjoying Mountain Stream Teas. Maybe I’ll try them out too.

LuckyMe

Their baozhong has been very good. Haven’t gotten around to trying the high mountain teas from my order yet. I haven’t sat down for many gongfu sessions recently…blame the scorching summer weather for that