1894 Select Orange Pekoe

Nutty, Walnut
Edit tea info Last updated by Tuscanteal

• “Another Christmas present from my father-in-law this time. This was a stocking stuffer and I wasn’t expecting much from it. It reminds me of Tetley or another Orange Pekoe. Simple to brew and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Hot cup of tea on the commute to work, but because this is a kind of boring Orange Pekoe that leans a little on the astringent side (too much for my liking) I also added in a small amount of maple...” Read full tasting note
  • “It is fairly bottom heavy (mostly one note). Very robust and earthy. Takes milk well. I like to blend this 2:1 with my Tealuxe Golden Tippy Assam to round out the cup. Add milk and you have a...” Read full tasting note

From Murchie's Tea & Coffee

1894 Select Tea is a unique blend of Ceylon and Assam black teas, carefully selected to produce a rich flavourful cup. This tea is a traditional part of early Murchie’s blending history.

Murchie’s 1894 Select Tea is a true cuppa for the tea drinker looking for an Orange Pekoe tea. A unique blend of Ceylon and Assam black teas, blended with expertise and tradition, Murchie’s 1894 Select Tea has been a part of our history, and the history of British Columbia.

The Port of New Westminster and Murchie’s Tea & Coffee have a combined history, dating back to 1894, when John Murchie started blending teas in the burdgeoning city. The port’s early days are depicted in an artist’s rendering on the packaging of this fine, flavourful tea to illustrate this part of our history.

Strength: (Medium)
Brew Temperature: 205 to 212°F, or 96 to 100°C
Brew Time: 3 to 5 Minutes
Brew Quantity: 1 tsp to 6-8oz or 5g to 177-237ml of water

About Murchie's Tea & Coffee View company

Another Christmas present from my father-in-law this time.

This was a stocking stuffer and I wasn’t expecting much from it. It reminds me of Tetley or another Orange Pekoe. Simple to brew and seemed pretty forgiving with steep times. I enjoyed it as usual though I feel like for these stronger blends, it’s better to use real sugar rather than stevia. Not sure why?

Hot cup of tea on the commute to work, but because this is a kind of boring Orange Pekoe that leans a little on the astringent side (too much for my liking) I also added in a small amount of maple flavoured agave to make it a little sweeter and more palatable. This tea already has really full bodied, brisk nutty and malty notes to it so those were a very nice, natural compliment to what is essentially a maple syrup kind of flavor. In particular, I thought that the walnut notes of the tea which are already sweeter leaning notes seemed very forward when you added the sweetness of the agave: making for a black tea that was still really rich and brisk (that did not lose the taste of the tea itself underneath the flavoured sweetness) that almost read as “maple walnut”.

Definitely an improvement, in my books.

It is fairly bottom heavy (mostly one note). Very robust and earthy. Takes milk well. I like to blend this 2:1 with my Tealuxe Golden Tippy Assam to round out the cup. Add milk and you have a not-bad morning cup.