Nepalese Silver Tips

White Tea
White Tea Leaves
Grass, Sweet, Hay, Honey
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by just john

From Nepali Tea Traders

A classic, elegant silver needle, only one tender leaf and a downy bud are meticulously picked from each tender tea bush. This fresh tea is naturally withered, hand-separated and dried to halt the oxidation process. The result is a beautiful, rare tea, with long needles and distinctive silver tips. The pale liquor reveals a delicate aroma, the flavor of sweet grass with a hint of citrus, and finishes with satisfying almond notes. The tea’s mouthfeel is smooth and silky, devoid of astringency. An exquisite Connoisseur Collection tea.

About Nepali Tea Traders View company

2037 tasting notes

140/365

From the Regional Group Buy. These are some of the thinnest and pointiest silver tips I’ve come across – I can definitely see why they’re known as needles now! They actually remind me of pine needles in shape and size, although obviously these are white and downy. Christmas tree needles covered in snow?! Irrelevance, anyway.

I struggle to get much flavour from white teas, so I followed the instructions to the letter this time. I used 2 tsp of leaf (or there abouts – it was hard to measure using a spoon…) and gave it 2.5 minutes in water cooled to 185 degrees.

This one is mostly still sweet water, with a mild hay-like flavour and a touch of dustiness towards the end of the sip. In other words, it’s very similar to 99% of other plain white teas I’ve tried – more delicate than some, perhaps, but broadly the same in flavour terms. I imagine this is a lot more expensive than some whites, and white tea is expensive to begin with. Sure, it’s better than the bagged clipper stuff I started out with (you know, the one that I used to brew like black tea and put milk in. It was an easy mistake to make, though, given that it brewed up to a pretty solid amber colour all by itself.) This tea is in another league entirely, but I can’t really say what, if anything, distinguishes it from most other silver needles offered by other vendors, and that’s a sticking point for me. I understand flavoured white better, I think, because sometimes an airy base is just the thing. Plain? Perhaps I’m just not subtle enough to really appreciate it…

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp

My mom and I had a nice moment last evening where we each had a mug of tea, and were both relaxing listening to an album we’re both fans of while comparing notes/thoughts on the music; it was really nice!

She wasn’t actually drinking this tea though; she doesn’t seem to appreciate the delicate nuances of white teas all that much so I’ve stopped sharing them – why waste the tea on someone who wont appreciate it?

This was great though; like other times, I observed some soft hay notes, cooling almost cucumber like vegetal notes and a sweeter honey finish. Additionally, I also felt like I got hints of some herbaceous notes in both the very tippy top of the sip and then also in the finish: sort of a rosemary sort of thing. It was kind of weird; not that I haven’t experienced it with other white teas, just not as much this particular white tea. Still pleasant though: I’ve got a few other cups left, so I’ll definitely need to look for it in the future.

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OdazEVnFDM&index=9&list=PL4_RV82NfwS_dmptFTLCtk2JnlLwA50vO

From LP’s 2016 Group Buy: http://www.liquidproustteas.com/listing/470490943/regional-2016-tea-group-buy
Backlog 20 August 2016

The tea reminds me of wet hay, with earthy undertones; slight malt. Very floral, too, in both flavor (aftertaste) and smell. Dandelions, maybe?

Daylon R Thomas

I got dandelion and a little bit of corn in it myself. I also found it to be the weirdest combo of light and thick in the body, but in a way that only white teas can be.

S.G. Sanders

Yeah, the tea was definitely a light color, but tasted much thicker/darker than it was. I have another session’s worth, so I might see if I can get the corn note.

Taste of dry hair inside a pile of wet hay and some shaved corn straw.

Daylon R Thomas

In a good way, or kinda pleasant but I expect that from a white tea way?

Sweet but not particularly interesting.

Flavors: Grass, Sweet

190 °F / 87 °C 6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

I got this sample from Good Tea Leaf. I hadn’t heard of them before, but apparently they offer samples of tea from various tea vendors for a discounted price once a month. This one came from Nepali Tea Traders. Now, I typically try not to drink tea after about 9 but I just got home from work and it was such a snowy night here in KC that I couldn’t pass up a little tea time. I chose the white tea for it’s relative lightness, and lightness is exactly what I am getting.

I put 7g in my gaiwan and gave it a quick rinse. The little buds and leaves smell very mildly of dried grass with a touch of sweetness. A 10 second steep and I can barely make out any flavor profile. 15 seconds gives me a touch of the same sweet grass as before. I went ahead and skipped to 30s, 45s, a minute… still just sweet grass, maybe a touch of something citrus. When I reheated my water and gave it a longer steep at a highter temperature a decent amount of astringency came out. I will use the rest of the sample to brew this Western style.

Overall I wouldn’t buy this tea again, there are just too many good white teas out there. I also wonder when this tea was picked. A quick scan of the original website didn’t give a production date, and if this is a 2014 or before much of the original complexity could very well be gone. That said, I WOULD order samples form Good Leaf Tea again. Quick shipping and an overall good experience.

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Honey