Toasted Rice

Sake, Toasted Rice
Tea Bag
Medium
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

2 Images

• “I have been trying to do a sipdown of the way-too-many teas I have on my shelf and this one came to work with me today. I brewed it strong — 2 bags in my usual cup — and maybe a bit longer than...” Read full tasting note
  • “I feel sorry for this tea. Le pauvre. If I’d tasted it before I tasted the Den’s and the Samovar, it would have gotten a better rating. It’s pleasant enough. Smells of toasty rice, as it should,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am working on drinking the tea bags that I took from my fiancee’s house. This smells like toasted rice. It has a thick body and is nice and toasty. It is starting to make me wish I had toast for...” Read full tasting note
  • “I think I need to get a good system going for preparing tea in a mug BEFORE I go to school. It’d be much cheaper than buying a teabag + hot water at the caf. At least this time, I found a bigger...” Read full tasting note

From Numi Organic Tea

ingredients: organic sencha green tea, organic toasted rice

Japanese legend tells of a servant named Gen Mai who created this tea after rice fell from his pocket into a samurai’s pot. The result was a nutty flavor that enriched the lively clean taste of Sencha, a traditional Japanese green tea. Picked in the spring, its needle-like leaves are rolled, flattened and steamed then blended with toasted rice to create a savory brew. With a bright yellow hue and robust aroma, Gen Mai Cha is a hearty and popular tea commonly served at meals, as it cleanses the palate.

About Numi Organic Tea View company

Genmaichas are the toastiest teas around. They have a great nutty, roasted, toasted, buttery flavor, and maybe something a bit burnt but in a good way. Numi’s genmaicha is all of these. There is also a silky texture left in your mouth. The tea bag is VERY full. I didn’t see very much toasted rice here, and usually genmaichas have popcorn in them, which is fun and should be essential. ( I think the “fun” came from Troy on NBC’s Community saying “Kettle corn’s a fun time snack!” Watch that show! Clearly it stays in my head.) The steep color is a light green. I think with a genmaicha, the toastier the better, but you have to be careful with this one. Oversteeping will make it almost unbearably bitter. But this is GOOD and I must invest in a genmaicha, even if it isn’t this one.

I once again dipped into the sample box, and this is the green tea I chose at random. I don’t think this is anything I might have chosen on my own, which is why I LOVE those sampler boxes! As soon as I poured the water over the bag I thought, ‘Yup, that’s rice.’ Strange, but not in a bad way. But I steeped it for the maximum recommended time (as is my way), sweetened it with sugar, and took a sip. The verdict? Rather tasty! I quite like this tea! And for something that I probably never would have paid to taste, I may very well be adding a box of this interesting tea to my collection!

TeaCast

HARSH! Haha Numi, blah!

I drink this all the time at work. Its mellow, nutty flavor reminds me of the green tea served at my favorite sushi restaurant.

Wiseman Tea Co.

Genmaicha was my first love, and you’re right it also compliments sushi really well.

First of this kind of tea that I have tried. I was a little leary that it would taste like burnt grass. Instead it does have a nice toasted rice nutty flavor. Not a huge astringent taste like straight sencha can have, it’s offset and softened by the toasted rice.

The Toasted Rice is delightful compared to Numi’s Gunpowder Green, which I didn’t like at all. Rather than gulp it down, I am enjoying each sip along with the aroma. It’s like a non-alcoholic sake.

EDIT: I added a dash of salt to my second cup of this. Is that weird? I don’t care. But then, I happily sip veg broth and miso broth. And that is what the salt did – turned this tea into more of a broth. And it was delicious! I will try cooking with it at some point :-)

Flavors: Sake

I really love the nutty notes of this green tea.

This basically just tastes like toasted rice. I always forget how much I love this flavour until I have it! Maybe I do need a genmaicha or something similar in my cupboard, for the yums.

Flavors: Toasted Rice

170 °F / 76 °C 2 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML
Plunkybug

I love toasted ice with genmai cha. Sooo good.

After a chaotic morning and early afternoon of middle school, I popped down to the lounge to fix a big mug of this to regroup with because genmaicha equals comfort in my little corner of the tea world, and I’m trying to use up the last few bags of this while I wait for my Harney order. It’s not the very best genmaicha I’ve ever had, but I think it’s decent for a bagged variety, and it is very forgiving on long steeps. I haven’t ever had it go bitter on me.

Compared with a nice loose-leaf Genmaicha this isn’t anything special, but as far as bagged teas go this is one one of my favorites. I like to keep this on hand when I know I won’t be around a kettle. You can pretty successfully brew it with hot water from those water coolers that most offices and schools will have around.
The green tea base is unremarkable but ultimately inoffensive. Not particularly bitter, grassy, floral, or anything that would have given it some character. If I didn’t know it was a sencha I probably wouldn’t have been able to guess. The rice gives some toasty-ness but is a bit stale tasting compared to my favorite loose genmaicha (Harney’s). But overall it makes for a decent brew under less-than-ideal conditions.

180 °F / 82 °C 1 min, 30 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML